By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Need some help with getting a new PC.

Why are you getting Vista? That's ridiculous. Windows 7 is so much better.

Around the Network
Dinges said:

Quoting this for truth.

And a single 5850 is an excellent card for 2560x1600. The 5870 will get you playable framerates on an additional few games, but I wouldn't pay the extra $100 over the 5850 even at that resolution.

As for the rest: DO NOT buy an i7-920 (or any LGA1366 CPU) for gaming. Games don't yet make use of the hyperthreading feature that makes the 920 command a premium. Buy the cheaper i5-750 instead with a Gigabyte GA-P55 series mobo, 4 GB DDR3 RAM, and a good case and PSU. I'm not terribly familiar with European prices, but I could throw something together for you that would probably go under your budget.

"'Casual games' are something the 'Game Industry' invented to explain away the Wii success instead of actually listening or looking at what Nintendo did. There is no 'casual strategy' from Nintendo. 'Accessible strategy', yes, but ‘casual gamers’ is just the 'Game Industry''s polite way of saying what they feel: 'retarded gamers'."

-Sean Malstrom

Dinges said:

I agree. If they try to charge him more than $10 though for 7 he can upgrade through microsofts website (at least in the US) for like $10. (make sure you check your local microsoft website if they are running the offer)

I mean, I have vista and I'm not upgrading to 7 on my current PC, as it works well enough, but when you are buying new there is no reason to go with an ok product over a good product that is actually supported.

If you drop a PS3 right on top of a Wii, it would definitely defeat it. Not so sure about the Xbox360. - mancandy
In the past we played games. In the future we watch games. - Forest-Spirit
11/03/09 Desposit: Mod Bribery (RolStoppable)  vg$ 500.00
06/03/09 Purchase: Moderator Privilege  vg$ -50,000.00

Nordlead Jr. Photo/Video Gallery!!! (Video Added 4/19/10)

Rickz0r said:
WilliamWatts said:
The graphics card is good.

What is the system exactly? Is it a store bought branded model, a computer shop system or is someone building it for you?

Also you ought to check to see if its got a powerful enough power supply for crossfire. You may want more power in the near future to run games like Crysis on max @ your 2560 by 1600 screen resolution.

A local computer shop put it together. It has the best power supply that they have: Cooler Master UCP 900W.

UPDATE: They offered me to put the Xfx Radeon HD5970 Black Edition - 2048MB - PCI-E - DVI in it for 150 euro's on top of it. 

That sounds like a pretty great deal. The HD 5970 ought to be able to drive the latest games at your monitors native resolution.

It is much, much more fun to build it yourself. At least that's what I thought. And it isn't difficult. And you'd probably get better quality parts (or a cheaper computer).

Otherwise, it's cool.

I'm gaming on a Athlon II 620 (4x2.60ghz), 4gb ram and an HD4890 card, and I have no problems whatsoever running most games in high settings at 1920*1080, so that system should be really good.

This is invisible text!

Around the Network

Vista 64 Bit is pre-installed.. Gonna buy Windows 7 64 Bit directly though.. Any1 other then WilliamWatts thinks that the 5970 deal for 150 bucks extra is worth it? I can get 5870 CF for 250 bucks extra.