By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Blu-Ray outsells HD DVD 65:35 week ending 11/11. YTD sales 77:23 in Europe

This info is meaningless unless you include standard DVD sales and percentages.

HD DVD isn't going anywhere guys. You need to get over it Dallas.

Around the Network
shams said:
ProfDallas said:
Toshiba needs to just give up. This is sad. lol

Keep flogging your horse. Why would Toshiba possibly want to give up 30%-40% of the HD movie market? I'm sure they hate all that extra money and brand recognition.

Both formats are here to stay, and its becoming more certain by the day.

(should Sony give up, because the PS3 has only 16% of the next-gen console market? I think not...)

The only reason they have 30-40% of the HD market is because they're subsidizing they're players.  The HD market isn't making them any money right now.  They're using the loss-leader strategy normally used by game console manufacturers in the hopes of winning the war and making big bucks down the road from disc royalties.

They're betting a hell of a lot on this war, and if it starts to look like there's no hope of wining, why keep upping the ante?  

makingmusic476 said:
shams said:
ProfDallas said:

Keep flogging your horse. Why would Toshiba possibly want to give up 30%-40% of the HD movie market? I'm sure they hate all that extra money and brand recognition.

(should Sony give up, because the PS3 has only 16% of the next-gen console market? I think not...)

The only reason they have 30-40% of the HD market is because they're subsidizing they're players. The HD market isn't making them any money right now. They're using the loss-leader strategy normally used by game console manufacturers in the hopes of winning the war and making big bucks down the road from disc royalties.

They're betting a hell of a lot on this war, and if it starts to look like there's no hope of wining, why keep upping the ante?

OK.  This is the most ridiculous statement I've read in a while.  Sony has lost over a BILLION dollars "subsidizing" this format war through the PS3.  Toshiba may be losing money, but they may not be.  Sony is the one that is "betting a hell of a lot on this war".  If blu-ray fails, Sony is in serious trouble.

whatever said:
makingmusic476 said:
shams said:
ProfDallas said:

The only reason they have 30-40% of the HD market is because they're subsidizing they're players. The HD market isn't making them any money right now. They're using the loss-leader strategy normally used by game console manufacturers in the hopes of winning the war and making big bucks down the road from disc royalties.

OK. This is the most ridiculous statement I've read in a while. Sony has lost over a BILLION dollars "subsidizing" this format war through the PS3. Toshiba may be losing money, but they may not be. Sony is the one that is "betting a hell of a lot on this war". If blu-ray fails, Sony is in serious trouble.

There's a difference.  Traditionally in a format war, one format dies*. In the console wars, all consoles stick around unless the console manufacturer simply ahs no money to keep production up (Sega Dreamcast).  Even if Sony loses tons on the ps3 now, they will make it back eventually once they start selling them at a profit and game sales pick up, even if they are in 3rd place.  If HD DVD loses to Blu-Ray, however, the format will disappear completely over time, so it will be harder for Toshiba to make back it's losses via profitable players and disc royalties.

*Theoretically, both formats could survive ala the consoles, but the public is of the opinion that one format will eventually die, and are thus waiting on purchasing a format before a winner is decided, thus fulfilling the stereotype that one format must die.  The actions based on their belief are in effect making the belief so.

I think this war is more like the DVD+R vs DVD-R instead of VHS vs Beta. Once dual players get cheap enough, both formats will survive. VHS and Beta couldn't coexist as the tapes were of different sizes.

Once dual player are cheap enough, each studio will need to decide whether it wants to manufacture the less expensive HD DVD or the more DRMed blu-ray.