By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Epic games and GDC. My prediction.

Been awhile since I posted here. Had somewild ideas. Figured id share it and see what you all think.

Maybe ive been out the loop for a bit but ever since Gears of War 2 came out Epic games has been silent on their next big project. I predict that at this years GDC Epic will show off their new game. I think this new game will be set in the Gears of war Universe but not neccesarily called Gears of War. I believe Microsoft hold the rights to the name, characters etc of GEOW so thats why I believe it wont be called Gears of War. Theres been rumors that EA has been working with Epic and EA is notorious for being a multiplat publisher.. EA has fallen behind in being a big developer since activion struck gold with guitar hero and modern warfare. I also think Epic knows they are sitting on one of the biggest franchises out there and probably want to tap into that 30 mil. plus ps3 fanbase, as well as release a PC game day an date with the 360 version. The unreal engine is cross platform so it wouldnt be that hard to do really. GDC seems like the place to show off their new game to also show off how the Unreal Engine 3 has come along.

Anyways, I dont even know if Epic games, EA, or Microsoft are giving a talk at GDC but I just wanted to throw that out there and see what you all think.

Around the Network

Its quite likely they are simply taking an extra year with Gears 3 to make the finale badasser enough, are announcing whatever it is that their studio they recently bought has been up to (new I.P) and are satiating Gears of War 2 fans with Lost Planet 2 cameos for this year.

Microsoft has nothing to do with the Gears of War franchise

Gears of War, Gears of War 2, the Crimson Omen logo, Marcus Fenix, Unreal, Epic Games and the Epic Games logo are either registered trademarks or trademarks of Epic Games, Inc., in the United States and/or elsewhere.

http://gearsofwar.xbox.com/CopyrightTrademark.htm

I think they are working on Gears 3, for the 360. Cliff said himself that "people are smart" and "can probably figure out what he is working on" in an interview. After the disaster that was the Gears 2 MP at launch, I'm pretty sure they want to avoid a repeat and are just taking a little more time.

btw, why do people on this website refer to Gears as GEOW? It makes absolutely no sense, it looks really stupid and NOT ONCE have I ever heard anyone call it GEOW in the real world or on Live. I've heard a couple of people call it GOW, but I'm pretty sure most people use GOW for God of War.

Just call it Gears, that's what the fans call it and that's what most people call it.

Zipper said:
Microsoft has nothing to do with the Gears of War franchise

Gears of War, Gears of War 2, the Crimson Omen logo, Marcus Fenix, Unreal, Epic Games and the Epic Games logo are either registered trademarks or trademarks of Epic Games, Inc., in the United States and/or elsewhere.

http://gearsofwar.xbox.com/CopyrightTrademark.htm

They have nothing to do with owning it, they do have a publishing deal for it.

themanwithnoname's law: As an America's sales or NPD thread grows longer, the probabilty of the comment "America = World" [sarcasticly] being made approaches 1.