By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Top 10 most expensive video games budgets ever

pitzy272 said:

Shouldn't Alan Wake be on that list?? That game will have been in production for like 6 years by the time it releases in May. It was announced E3 2005 (June), which would mean they had already started working on it for at least several months I'd say. Anyways, anyone know how much this game has cost?

I read somewhere that the Alan Wake didn't cost as much to make as it might seems

Around the Network

I agree with disolitude. Don't know where these numbers came from. $200million on advertising Halo 3? That's more than the cost of most big summer Hollywood blockbusters.

And GTA4 is also, coincidently, the best reviewed game ever.

What a surprise.

“When we make some new announcement and if there is no positive initial reaction from the market, I try to think of it as a good sign because that can be interpreted as people reacting to something groundbreaking. ...if the employees were always minding themselves to do whatever the market is requiring at any moment, and if they were always focusing on something we can sell right now for the short term, it would be very limiting. We are trying to think outside the box.” - Satoru Iwata - This is why corporate multinationals will never truly understand, or risk doing, what Nintendo does.

^^^You make a good point, megaman79.

megaman79 said:
And GTA4 is also, coincidently, the best reviewed game ever.

What a surprise.

It's also one of the best games too.

go figure.

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)
Around the Network
Riachu said:
pitzy272 said:

Shouldn't Alan Wake be on that list?? That game will have been in production for like 6 years by the time it releases in May. It was announced E3 2005 (June), which would mean they had already started working on it for at least several months I'd say. Anyways, anyone know how much this game has cost?

I read somewhere that the Alan Wake didn't cost as much to make as it might seems

Remedy consist only 50 people at the moment so I don't think it has been too expensive to develop even though it has taken 5 years.

Not a single Nintendo title.

Can you make a top ten most profitable games?

I wanna see if some non-Nintendo title enters that list.

Some of those numbers seem high. GT5 seems high as does Halo 3.

Wow at LA Noire although sadly judging by some of the info creeping out a lot of that money has simply been wasted in a manner similar to Duke Nukem Forever.

Too Human also is crazy.

Lot's of evidence of developers with weak project control skills there.

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...

What about Alan Wake and God of War III?weren't they expensive?

zexen_lowe said:

It shipped 4.65 million, let's assume 1 million was in bundles, and a revenue of $25 per copy (given it costs $40)

3.65*25 = $91.25 million.

If you vary the revenue slice, it changes a bit, but let's just say that if it didn't cover it fully, it covered the budget for the most part

Except that most copies sold for under that price. The NA market had most sales in the $30 range, and the UK saw a retail price (with tax) of £24.99 (and now has a £19.99 version). Neither of those would would leave enough net revenue to cover the costs in full yet, though it does lead me to believe that a majority is covered.

-dunno001

-On a quest for the truly perfect game; I don't think it exists...