By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - BBC - Sony makes most of Wii shortages

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7095976.stm

Sony makes most of Wii shortages
The PlayStation 3 was launched last year in Japan
Sony is taking advantage of Nintendo Wii shortages and a recent price cut of the PlayStation 3 to double weekly sales of the console in the US.

Sony boss Howard Stringer told the Associated Press news agency: "It's a little fortuitous that the Wii is running out of hardware."

Two weeks after the price cut Sony sold 100,000 PS3s in seven days.

Mr Stringer said the increase in sales of the console was "the breakthrough we have been anticipating."

He added: "Obviously, we've taken so much heat over the year on PS3. Finally, the turning point has been passed."

Nintendo has become a victim of its own success, with many shops in the US and UK struggling to meet demand.

A spokesman for Nintendo UK denied that the company was witholding supply to boost interest.

"The video games market is a fiercely competitive one and it is not in our interest to withhold stock from anyone," he said.

Microsoft and Nintendo have not released weekly sales figures for their consoles.

Around the Network

So ps3 is at 100k not 64k.. this means it outsold the 360 world wide and is at 5.8 m

mM
leo-j said:
So ps3 is at 100k not 64k.. this means it outsold the 360 world wide and is at 5.8 m

Well NPD comes today, so we will see if IOI over/undertracked this month. He said hes aiming for NPD +5 to+15%.

retail.... jc

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Bullshit. Vgchartz says 60k.

Around the Network
grandmaster192 said:

He said sony sold, means sony sold to reatailers. 100k in seven days in not unbelievable second shipment, I would guess.

In seven days doesn't mean it was all in one week Leo, as it could have been partly in one week and partly in a another, Sony doesn't say whcih days they are getting the data from

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

Avinash_Tyagi said:
In seven days doesn't mean it was all in one week Leo, as it could have been partly in one week and partly in a another, Sony doesn't say whcih days they are getting the data from

Just_Ben said:
grandmaster192 said:

He said sony sold, means sony sold to reatailers. 100k in seven days in not unbelievable second shipment, I would guess.

Just two of the many things that people forget when doing their OMGUNDERTRACKED claims.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

NJ5 said:
Avinash_Tyagi said:

Just_Ben said:
grandmaster192 said:

Just two of the many things that people forget when doing their OMGUNDERTRACKED claims.

I too believe that the PS3 was undertracked by ioi (or the 360 was overtracked). We will see what NPD has to say today. But everything should be in the acceptable error margin for this site. (+-15%)

llewdebkram said:

Sony boss Howard Stringer told the Associated Press news agency: "It's a little fortuitous that the Wii is running out of hardware."

This is such a ridiculous comment. Ninty is pumping the hardware out, harder than ever before. They are on track to sell something like 6m units in the next 7 weeks worldwide!

Is it a good thing for Sony that the demand for Wii is so high - it doesn't matter how many units Ninty produces - they will all sell? 

No - its a sucky, sucky thing.

As someone said - Sony will simply be left to pick up the scraps. MS won't be that much better off either.

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099