By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Which game is going to top March 2010 NPD software charts?

Thinking about it, I would say...

1. Pokemon Soul Silver [DS] 
  2. God of War III [PS3] 
  3. Pokemon Heart Gold [DS] 
  4. Final Fantasy XIII [PS3] 
  5. Battlefield: Bad Company 2 [360] 
  6. Battlefield: Bad Company 2 [PS3] 
  7. Final Fantasy XIII [360] 

...I think FFXIII 360's numbers are going to be really negatively impacted by the bundle (which NPD doesn't count towards the game's total). 

Around the Network

I doubt the bundle will contribute much to the total, it doesn't even have a fresh coat of paint over the plain white.

Currently playing on PS3: God of War III

Currently playing on Xbox360: Final Fantasy XIII

Currently playing on NDS: Chrono Trigger

1. Pokémon Heart Gold or Soul Silver (NDS) 950k 
2. God of War III (PS3) 930k
3. Pokémon Soul Silver or Heart Gold (NDS) 770k
4. Final Fantasy XIII (PS3) 490k
5. Battlefiled: Bad Company 2 (Xbox 360) 485k
6. Final Fantasy XIII (Xbox 360) 350k
7. New Super Mario Bros Wii (Wii) 300k
8. Battlefiled: Bad Company 2 (PS3) 295k
9. Wii Fit Plus (Wii) 260k
10. ¿?

-. Red Steel 2 (Wii) 50k

My top 7 for March releases:

1.- Pokemon Soul Silver
2.- God of War 3
3.- Pokemon Heart Gold
4.- Battlefield: Bad Company 2 (360)
5.- Final Fantasy XIII (PS3)
6.- Battlefield: Bad Company 2 (PS3)
7.- Final Fantasy XIII (360)

dolemit3 said:
I doubt the bundle will contribute much to the total, it doesn't even have a fresh coat of paint over the plain white.

I dunno, I'd say the value proposition is really good (250GB, 2 controllers, free game).  I think many will buy it based on that alone, even if they're only casually interested in FF.

Around the Network

Pokemon

jarrod said:
dolemit3 said:

I dunno, I'd say the value proposition is really good (250GB, 2 controllers, free game).  I think many will buy it based on that alone, even if they're only casually interested in FF.

It's 400$ though, and an Arcade with the game will only cost 260$. This is no Modern Warfare 2 for sure.

Currently playing on PS3: God of War III

Currently playing on Xbox360: Final Fantasy XIII

Currently playing on NDS: Chrono Trigger

Noobie said:
jarrod said:

Previous NPD debuts since 2005...

• 03/22/05 God of War [PS2] 214k
  • 04/30/05 Pokemon Emerald [GBA] 833k* reported in May NPD
  • 10/31/06 Final Fantasy XII [PS2] 896k* reported in Nov NPD
  • 03/13/07 God of War II [PS2] 833k
  • 04/22/07 Pokemon Diamond [DS] 1045k
  • 04/22/07 Pokemon Pearl [DS] 712k
  • 06/23/08 Battlefield: Bad Company [360] 346.8k
  • 06/23/08 Battlefield: Bad Company [PS3] ???* didn't chart in top 20
  • 03/22/09 Pokemon Diamond [DS] 805k
...Pokemon has this one in the bag imo.  GOW3 might be able to bump the less popular SKU though (probably HG imo).

This seems to be quite interesting fact.. FFXIII, GOWIII, Pokemon all seems to be quite a huge mega sellers.. although i see Pokemon is slightly bigger than rest of them but with BF:BC2 a wild card.. there is going to be some serious competition and March can belong to anyone i think now..

God of War is the only one that might edge out the Pokémon games individually, FFXIII won't since it's split across two platforms. If NPD counted multiplats together and combined the sales of the two Pokémon SKU's (which are 95% the same game), Pokémon would take number one handily.

A game I'm developing with some friends:

www.xnagg.com/zombieasteroids/publish.htm

It is largely a technical exercise but feedback is appreciated.

darkheart709 said:
^ while they are better than what they have done in the past, a ad needs to be measure in how well it helps sell its product. so far based on NPD it hasn't helped where as Nintnedo's and Microsoft's seem to be helping alot. i will say sony is putting alot of effort into advertising but it doesn't seem to be helping software sells

Opinion does not = fact. Where are some numbers to back up your opinion.

Noobie said:
Blue3 said:
Noobie said:

GOWIII, Sony is really week in advertising so far.. They are short of cash and they still have to do a lot better in marketing to make their game sell as much as they deserve.. But GOWIII is a big franchise and its the last of the series and if they put a little effort they r going to get a lot of sales...

Now that's the biggest load of bs I've seen. And it's "weak" by the way (not "week").

Their TV commercials with the dude are way better than anything from MS or Nintendo these days. Have you forgotten 7/11 GOW3 cups?!

Thanks for the correction.. 

I m not saying that they have bad ads.. they have reasonably good ads.. but how many they r showing.? i think a lot less.. Secondly MS start marketing campaign weeks before the launch but Sony only start advertising in the launch week.. So i think they are low on cash that maybe the reason. But they dont build the hype... MS bombard the general public and the hype is in general public not on internet goers.. Not even 1% of the ppl visit forums and keep update on new games... So that wot i m saying that Sony needs to improve. start advertising at all time n well before the launch.. But 7/11 is definitely a good idea..

All the time is pointless, MS exclusives don't sale any better due to MS's commercial saturation. 

Sonys strategy is more cost effective.  Hadrcore will always be their to adopt early, they go for the more casual consumer after the game is availabe to them.  Hype means little.