By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - My Analysis of the Ps3 Numbers.

First off, this thread is not meant as a rant. I always used Vgchartz for my sales numbers, and I always trusted them, and found the numbers to be the most credible (After the Company's themselves ofcourse ). However, after analyzing some of the numbers, I found some looking rather strange. 

Let me start by giving you some facts:

- Sony stated that at the end of 2009 they shipped a total of 33.5 million Ps3's (Just look at their recent financial report)

- Since the beginning of 2010, the Ps3 has sold 1.076.910 units according to Vgchartz.

- This means that there are atleast 34.576.910 units shipped

(Edit @ Underlined: That seemed pretty logical to me, assuming that Sony keeps on shipping on par with the demand. It was also a typing error, it isn't a fact, because it isn't proven)

According to Vgchartz, the Ps3 has sold 31,65 million units. This means that there are 2.926.910 units out there, just lying on the shelves. This seems unlikely, due to the normal 'buffer' of consoles is about 1.5 million units (I know this out of experience). Also, there have been recent reports of shortages in the US (Please don't bring me the Baby Seals ^^). Out of personal experience, I can say that about 500 stores in the EU have Ps3 shortages to (The reason that I visit alot of shops, is because it's a part of my Job ^^). It just seems highly unlikely to me, that the remaining stores have that much Ps3's. There could be some reasons for this. It could be because of a Price cut or a other marketing action. But that seems unlikely, since the Ps3 is still being sold against a loss. 

Again, this isn't meant as a rant or insult against Vgchartz. I love the site, and the community. I just wished everyone could be just a little bit more reasonable.

Can anyone give a good explanation about this?

Discuss!

Around the Network
Rickz0r said:

First off, this thread is not meant as a rant. I always used Vgchartz for my sales numbers, and I always trusted them, and found the numbers to be the most credible (After the Company's themselves ofcourse ). However, after analyzing some of the numbers, I found some looking rather strange. 

- Sony stated that at the end of 2009 they shipped a total of 33.5 million Ps3's (Just look at their recent financial report)

- Since the beginning of 2010, the Ps3 has sold 1.076.910 units according to Vgchartz.

VGC sold numbers have nothing to do with what Sony says is shipped. What it means is that the 31.65M was 30.58 at the beginning of the year, nothing more.

According to Vgchartz, the Ps3 has sold 31,65 million units. This means that there are 2.926.910 units out there, just lying on the shelves. This seems unlikely, due to the normal 'buffer' of consoles is about 1.5 million units (I know this out of experience). Also, there have been recent reports of shortages in the US (Please don't bring me the Baby Seals ^^). Out of personal experience, I can say that about 500 stores in the EU have Ps3 shortages to (The reason that I visit alot of shops, is because it's a part of my Job ^^). It just seems highly unlikely to me, that the remaining stores have that much Ps3's. There could be some reasons for this. It could be because of a Price cut or a other marketing action. But that seems unlikely, since the Ps3 is still being sold against a loss. 

Again, this isn't meant as a rant or insult against Vgchartz. I love the site, and the community. I just wished everyone could be just a little bit more reasonable.

Discuss!

theprof00 said:
Rickz0r said:

VGC sold numbers have nothing to do with what Sony says is shipped. What it means is that the 31.65M was 30.58 at the beginning of the year, nothing more.

Discuss!

LOCK

theprof00 said:
Rickz0r said:

Discuss!

Sony announced 33.5 million Shipped for the end of 2009. It's likely that they kept on shipping Ps3's till now. That's why I just added up the sales numbers to the shipped ones.

Rickz0r said:
theprof00 said:
Rickz0r said:

Discuss!

Sony announced 33.5 million Shipped for the end of 2009. It's likely that they kept on shipping Ps3's till now. That's why I just added up the sales numbers to the shipped ones.

You don't know that for sure.

Around the Network

no i cant explain it but look at my sig for might happen in the future

Play Me

Company's keep on shipping consoles all the time.. But they got the habit to Ship it in large party's. But it's very unlikely that Sony didn't ship any consoles during January. Especially with the recent report of Ps3 shortages. (The reports that point out that there are to few Ps3 on store-shelves)

(Sorry for a possible Double Post)
But still, even if Sony didn't ship any units from the beginning of 2010 (Again, that's very unlikely), then there are 1.85 million Ps3 on the shelves. Even that seems pretty strange with the recent reports of shortages..

Forget About Doing Everything For Less, JUMPING IN, and Nintendo's Saying Whatever It Is Mine's SONY ONLY

BHR-3- Would you please tell me what this means, I am in the dark, thanks

I know CGI, and I really appreciate his work. Still, I am trying to help him spot some possible 'errors'. Again, it might even not be a error, it just seems strange to me. That's why I'm asking for a explanation.