By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Why are Adobe products so expensive?

Conner52 said:
Sephiroth357 said:
Conner52 said:
Sephiroth357 said:
Conner52 said:
Sephiroth357 said:

Because they're business and company products.

In other words companies are willing to spend that much.

But they're also very good.

But GIMP is similar to Photoshop and it's free. I doubt Adobe needs that much money. 

This is why pirating exists.. 

Most schools, and businesses have these products. Some normal people also have these products.

900 bucks or 40 bucks people would still pirate...

BTW Gimp isn't as good as photoshop just like you mentioned. Why are Mercedes more expensive than Hondas? Quality.

If gimp has 40% of the features as photoshop it doesn't matter as it's free. The price doesn't justify the quality as their programs are bloated and slow, but sadly my school uses them.

If it was $40 I would say piracy of photoshop would halve. If it was $40 I would have no problem paying. 

Adobe is a professional product.

BTW your school doesn't offer like a student version?

GIMP is also professional.

No, and student versions don't even have all of the features.

So, you mean to tell me that bussinesses use Gimp as opposed to Photoshop?

Photoshop is used by professionals. Gimp=Common person.

Around the Network
Sephiroth357 said:
Conner52 said:
Sephiroth357 said:
Conner52 said:
Sephiroth357 said:
Conner52 said:
Sephiroth357 said:

Because they're business and company products.

In other words companies are willing to spend that much.

But they're also very good.

But GIMP is similar to Photoshop and it's free. I doubt Adobe needs that much money.

This is why pirating exists..

Most schools, and businesses have these products. Some normal people also have these products.

900 bucks or 40 bucks people would still pirate...

BTW Gimp isn't as good as photoshop just like you mentioned. Why are Mercedes more expensive than Hondas? Quality.

If gimp has 40% of the features as photoshop it doesn't matter as it's free. The price doesn't justify the quality as their programs are bloated and slow, but sadly my school uses them.

If it was $40 I would say piracy of photoshop would halve. If it was $40 I would have no problem paying.

Adobe is a professional product.

BTW your school doesn't offer like a student version?

GIMP is also professional.

No, and student versions don't even have all of the features.

So, you mean to tell me that bussinesses use Gimp as opposed to Photoshop?

Photoshop is used by professionals. Gimp=Common person.

Pretty much since I use both of them..

Former something....

Blacksaber said:
Sephiroth357 said:

Why would you use Gimp when you have Adobe?

Lol @ Gimp = common person

Anyhow. GIMP is excellent, and it's free.... photoshop is much more awesome though.

However you can get Photoshop CS elements (or somthing similar) which basically has about the same features as GIMP (I think... I haven't got it myself) but I find PS easier to use.... and it's about £60 on Amazon (I assume maybe $80)

Personally I have the full school version of Photoshop as my tutor let me have the disc.... but first of all this was 7 years ago (about when I think Photoshop 8 or 9 was releasing) and second of all it's a school, which means outdated software.... as such I have PS 5.0 Which I think came out in 1996 or 1997 or something.

Sephiroth357 said:
Blacksaber said:
Sephiroth357 said:

An individual may use GIMP once in awhile but most people who work with Photoshop would use Photoshop. Hardly any professionals use GIMP at work(they may at home because its free). Since CS4 with Photoshop 64 bit is out I don't know why a professional would use GIMP.

Your school should have  a student discount available to make it much cheaper. Why use Maya when Blender is almost as good because that 5% extra functionality makes a real big difference to a true professional. Its not a matter of quantity but of ability.

BTW messing with Curves and Histograms is not professional its novice.

Around the Network
Sephiroth357 said:
Blacksaber said:
Sephiroth357 said:

When doing little touch up jobs that can be done on both and it loads up quicker for me.

Former something....

TWRoO said:

Lol @ Gimp = common person

Anyhow. GIMP is excellent, and it's free.... photoshop is much more awesome though.

However you can get Photoshop CS elements (or somthing similar) which basically has about the same features as GIMP (I think... I haven't got it myself) but I find PS easier to use.... and it's about £60 on Amazon (I assume maybe $80)

Personally I have the full school version of Photoshop as my tutor let me have the disc.... but first of all this was 7 years ago (about when I think Photoshop 8 or 9 was releasing) and second of all it's a school, which means outdated software.... as such I have PS 5.0 Which I think came out in 1996 or 1997 or something.

It's true. I'm just a normal person and I use Gimp. I can't afford Photoshop.

Blacksaber said:
Sephiroth357 said:
Blacksaber said:
Sephiroth357 said:

When doing little touch up jobs that can be done on both and it loads up quicker for me.

Yes but when you go into the world of professional design or video you should be working on Workstations. Think multi CPU Xeons and Opterons with massive amounts of RAM. Even the intermediate smaller scale stuff you would be using a decent computer with enough power to run Photoshop.

This seems a good place to ask.... is there the GIMP equivalent (ie free) of a vector graphics program available? and if so where can i find it?

Blacksaber said:
Sephiroth357 said:
Blacksaber said:
Sephiroth357 said:

So, in other words, Adobe is used for most of your main project?