By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - I just got a smoking deal on a TV

nordlead said:
@rocketpig

a HDTV is any tv that displays 720p or greater. There is a difference between a 720p/1080i tv and a 1080p tv.

My 32" visio tv is a 720p/1080i tv and its resulution is 1366x768
a 1080p tv, like my parents 52" sony is 1920x1080

however, you can't really notice the extra detail without a larger screen size. And yes, since the PS3 and XBox360 seem to be upscaling to 720/1080 going to 1080 doesn't really make a difference, but in terms of watching movies it would since they are encoded in 1080p

If your TV properly deinterlaces 1080i (which my new Toshiba does), movies in 1080i appear identical to their 1080p counterparts. Movies run at 24fps, while 1080p runs at 60fps. Since 1080i is nothing more than 1080p at half speed (without breaking down the technicals), you're still viewing a 1080p source at 30fps, more than enough to watch movies.

If you don't believe me, Google it. There is loads of info on the subject all over the place.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

Around the Network
rocketpig said:
kn said:
Cool... I just got my 42" Sharp Aquos yesterday....

So you did finally get it? Congrats. That was one of the TVs I was considering until I decided that 1080p was a waste for me since it won't be used as a computer monitor.

And for $660, I won't mind upgrading again in 3-4 years when the next Xbox releases and 1080p becomes the standard for gaming.

check my thread in the microsoft forum... I wouldn't have bought 1080p unless it was a smoking deal (and it was).

I hate trolls.

Systems I currently own:  360, PS3, Wii, DS Lite (2)
Systems I've owned: PS2, PS1, Dreamcast, Saturn, 3DO, Genesis, Gamecube, N64, SNES, NES, GBA, GB, C64, Amiga, Atari 2600 and 5200, Sega Game Gear, Vectrex, Intellivision, Pong.  Yes, Pong.

kn said:

check my thread in the microsoft forum... I wouldn't have bought 1080p unless it was a smoking deal (and it was).

I remember that thread... You're using it as a computer monitor, right? 720p just doesn't cut it for monitors.

The deal you got sure didn't hurt either. :D

rocketpig said:
kn said:

I remember that thread... You're using it as a computer monitor, right? 720p just doesn't cut it for monitors.

Yeah, my TV is doubling as a monitor but honestly the 720p setting (1320x768?) looks perfectly acceptable and I can actually read the text on screen, lol.  

I hate trolls.

Systems I've owned: PS2, PS1, Dreamcast, Saturn, 3DO, Genesis, Gamecube, N64, SNES, NES, GBA, GB, C64, Amiga, Atari 2600 and 5200, Sega Game Gear, Vectrex, Intellivision, Pong.  Yes, Pong.

kn said:
rocketpig said:
kn said:

Yeah, my TV is doubling as a monitor but honestly the 720p setting (1320x768?) looks perfectly acceptable and I can actually read the text on screen, lol.  

Really? I'm running 1280x800 on a 13.3" laptop monitor right now and I think that the res could even be a little higher on this screen... :D

Around the Network
rocketpig said:
kn said:

Really? I'm running 1280x800 on a 13.3" laptop monitor right now and I think that the res could even be a little higher on this screen... :D

Your also sitting 2 feet away from your laptop at the most.

I have the same problem with my 56" 1080p TV.  I don't really use it at 1920x1080 because at 16 feet across the room I can't read typical text.  If I am within say 5 feet I can read it fine, but thats not where my sofa is

thors1982 said:
rocketpig said:
kn said:

Your also sitting 2 feet away from your laptop at the most.

I have the same problem with my 56" 1080p TV.  I don't really use it at 1920x1080 because at 16 feet across the room I can't read typical text.  If I am within say 5 feet I can read it fine, but thats not where my sofa is

I know, I was just being an ass. I probably wouldn't have a problem with my TV if it was 1080p but I'm only sitting 6-8 feet from it.

rocketpig said:
jjseth said:
Sounds like a good deal that you got. :)

I need to move up and sell my HDTV and get something that does 1080P.

Why? If your TV deinterlaces properly, 1080i is visually identical to 1080p when viewing films... and since it appears that neither the 360 nor the PS3 can do native 1080p worth a damn (Halo 640p & CoD4 600p FTW), there is absolutely no reason to buy a 1080p television unless you double it as a computer monitor.

Well, my TV is a Hitachi and is a professional series, so it is the cream of the crop for them with the HDTV's.    I'd want it more for the HDMI ports as well as playing BD movies and to do upscaling of regular DVD's better. 

Get your Portable ID!

My pokemon brings all the nerds to the yard. And they're like, "You wanna trade cards?" Damn right, I wanna trade cards. I'll trade this, but not my charizard.

1320x768 FTW on my set. I used the "large" font set and Increase the browser font by one size and I can use my computer like a champ. At that resolution, it is still razor sharp even blown up to 42". I do have the "edge enhancement" turned on for my video card which keeps screen fonts very clean, but even with it off, it is still extremely clean. I'm sitting about 10 feed from the screen. There just isn't any reason to go to 1080P with the laptop. If I did I would probably use large icons and use a custom font size to make it readable but that's just too much trouble to switch back and forth every time.

All that said, I should have gone with the 46" Sharp that did 720P/1080i so I had a bigger bit of real estate. I actually took my notebook to Sears and plugged it into both sets and I must admit that 1320x768 on the 46" where that resolution was native did not look as good as 1320x768 on the 42" 1080p set for whatever reason. Had it been just as sharp in the store, I probably would have gone with the 46 right then.

I hate trolls.