By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS3 performing better than PS1?!

sieanr said:
jneul said:
koffieboon said:
jneul said:
NiKKoM said:
BladeOfGod said:
NiKKoM said:
jneul said:
BladeOfGod said:
Cool, if PS3 can stay on market for 10 years like PS1, it will sel over 100 million consoles

i have also pointed this out to other people and they called me a retard, lol, some people are just denying the power of the ps brand

Some people are denying kasz posts... >_>

Kazs always comes to positive PS3 sales thread to ruin it.

He said that PS1 was launched in US and Europe 1 year after it was launched in Japan and thats correct. However, he ignored the fact that PS1 was 299$ on its launch and PS3 was 599$ on its launch.He also ignored the fact that PS1 was launched before its competitors that PS3 was launched AFTER its competitor

Inflation wise the Ps1 would be like 400$ and the PS1 was launched after the Saturn in Europe, America and Japan but Japan is just a week..

so ps3 was more expensive at release then, thanks for confirming that, now it has fallen to $299 we should see some major improvements this year, i already expect 14m ps3's to be sold this year (if not more)

Is this based on current sales compared to last year? Because any lead build up now quickly diminishes once September starts and there is no slim release nor a $100 price cut to raise sales like last year (obviously assuming Sony isn’t willing to lose a lot of money on selling PS3s). Btw, I don't say you can't be right, I just think it is way to soon to make a meaningful prediction at the moment.

[b[it will easily do that amount with FF XIII, GOW III, and GT5 coming, of course that is just a point of view.

Iif x360 gets a price cut, it may be hard for ps3 to do that, to be honest that is the only thing that could hurt the ps3 at the moment, but they have tried that during christmas, and ps3 still came out on top, but like you said most of that was due to the ps3 slim

Hahahaha, none of those things have happened yet. And even when/if they do, the impact is likely to be far less than you assume.

right ps3 is doomed again / sarcasm. How on earth do you know how much of a boost I expect for these games??

it's the future of handheld

PS VITA = LIFE

The official Vita thread http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=130023&page=1

Around the Network
jneul said:
sieanr said:
jneul said:
koffieboon said:
jneul said:
NiKKoM said:
BladeOfGod said:
NiKKoM said:
jneul said:
BladeOfGod said:
Cool, if PS3 can stay on market for 10 years like PS1, it will sel over 100 million consoles

i have also pointed this out to other people and they called me a retard, lol, some people are just denying the power of the ps brand

Some people are denying kasz posts... >_>

Kazs always comes to positive PS3 sales thread to ruin it.

He said that PS1 was launched in US and Europe 1 year after it was launched in Japan and thats correct. However, he ignored the fact that PS1 was 299$ on its launch and PS3 was 599$ on its launch.He also ignored the fact that PS1 was launched before its competitors that PS3 was launched AFTER its competitor

Inflation wise the Ps1 would be like 400$ and the PS1 was launched after the Saturn in Europe, America and Japan but Japan is just a week..

so ps3 was more expensive at release then, thanks for confirming that, now it has fallen to $299 we should see some major improvements this year, i already expect 14m ps3's to be sold this year (if not more)

Is this based on current sales compared to last year? Because any lead build up now quickly diminishes once September starts and there is no slim release nor a $100 price cut to raise sales like last year (obviously assuming Sony isn’t willing to lose a lot of money on selling PS3s). Btw, I don't say you can't be right, I just think it is way to soon to make a meaningful prediction at the moment.

[b[it will easily do that amount with FF XIII, GOW III, and GT5 coming, of course that is just a point of view.

Iif x360 gets a price cut, it may be hard for ps3 to do that, to be honest that is the only thing that could hurt the ps3 at the moment, but they have tried that during christmas, and ps3 still came out on top, but like you said most of that was due to the ps3 slim

Hahahaha, none of those things have happened yet. And even when/if they do, the impact is likely to be far less than you assume.

right ps3 is doomed again / sarcasm. How on earth do you know how much of a boost I expect for these games??

I know you expect a boost for those games, which is worth just about as much as reading my daily horoscope.

Unless you can list the reasons your opinion should be take seriously, say co-developing game theory level credentials, then there is no more reason to value your opinion any more than a coin toss.

Leo-j said: If a dvd for a pc game holds what? Crysis at 3000p or something, why in the world cant a blu-ray disc do the same?

ssj12 said: Player specific decoders are nothing more than specialized GPUs. Gran Turismo is the trust driving simulator of them all. 

"Why do they call it the xbox 360? Because when you see it, you'll turn 360 degrees and walk away" 

Kasz216 said:
jneul said:
Kasz216 said:
jneul said:
Darc Requiem said:

Kasz ended this thread a while back. It's fun to see the delusional keep ignoring him though. The original post ignores the fact that the PS1 would have been out for 4 fiscal years in Japan, 3 fiscal years in North America and Europe. The PS3 has been out for 4 fiscal years in Japan and North American, and 3.5 fiscal years in Europe. In this flawed comparison the PS3 has been on the market for 1 year longer than the PS1 in North America and six months longer in Europe. Thread logic = Fail.

sigh just wait till the end of this year, i expect more boost's from GOW III and FF XIII, not to mention the huge boost PS3 will get when GT5 comes out, this year will be the best year the PS3 would have had sales wise, PS3 sales are growing, not losing pace.

Which you know... won't change the facts that the PS3 isn't selling like the PS1.

The PS3 could have a miracle and start selling like the PS2 and i'd still be right.

I'd also be happy the PS3 would be selling like the PS2 because.

A) I like the PS3... I own one.

B) I like videogames, the more consoles sold the better... I wouldn't care if it was virtual boy sales... even though I hate that headache inducing bastard.

The fact of the matter is though... I'm not going to play pretend when I know there is an erronious conclusion being drawn.   The facts are the facts and there are few things that annoy me more then misrepresented statistics.  Probably because of my statistical and scientific background in college.

That and we don't really need repeats of the "PS3 is selling like PS2!" threads we had a year or two ago... they were just annoying.  You need to alight launched by region to make any kind of meaningfull analysis.

fair enough, and in all due honesty i don't question your point's of view, i just don't like when people get overly nagative about the ps3, in my view it will reach 100m+, eventually.

we all need to stop this negativity towards all consoles in my own view no console is doomed, ps3 will surprise everyone, and wii will really astonish us all, it is destined to break the ps2 record at this rate.

I wasn't being overly negative about the PS3.

I wasn't even being negative about the PS3.

I was stating a specific fact about the PS3... correcting the incorrect stat in the OP.

It's not like it's impossible the PS3 won't pick up on the PS1... though it'd probably take more then 1 year to do it.

You figure they're probably about... ~6-7 million behind right now.

Aligning with the PS3 launches, between now and this time next year PS1 would have shipped 8.33 million in europe, 6.91 in the US and 2.57 in Japan.

Meaning the PS3 will have to have shipped an additional ~17.81 million to break even.  A little less of course because of the old Sony reporting methods... but a little more since i'm still giving the PS3 a bit of a lead in europe to make the numbers work, and this is right when PS1 exploded in Europe.

Not really out of the question.  Just a matter of making up the 6-7 million and making sure it somehow stays relevant down the line.

fair enough i will let you off, for now

it's the future of handheld

PS VITA = LIFE

The official Vita thread http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=130023&page=1

MikeB said:
Darc Requiem said:

Kasz ended this thread a while back. It's fun to see the delusional keep ignoring him though. The original post ignores the fact that the PS1 would have been out for 4 fiscal years in Japan, 3 fiscal years in North America and Europe. The PS3 has been out for 4 fiscal years in Japan and North American, and 3.5 fiscal years in Europe. In this flawed comparison the PS3 has been on the market for 1 year longer than the PS1 in North America and six months longer in Europe. Thread logic = Fail.

Nomatter the headstart in 2 regions, taking equal timeframes last quarter the PS3 sold just as much as the PS1 did for the equivalent quarter. So IMO despite the much cheaper entry pricing of the PS1 at that point, the PS3 performs well and considering how well the PS1 did in the end certain fans too quickly made this gen out to be a sprint instead of a marathon.

PS3 actually performed BETTER last quarter then the PS1. 

6.5  million for PS3 vs 5.7 for PS1.   With the 5.7 being under Sony's old shipment figures.

Though whether such a comparison is valid is iffy.

Afterall since the PS3 had the 2 region headstart that means it's ahead in the "Sales ramp" so to speak by a year in the US... and like 9-10 motnhs ahead in the EU

For example 1 year later.... the PS1 shipped 3.41 million in the US in the equivlent quarter and 2.59 million in the EU.  Combined with the 1.45 million that shipped in Japan in 97...

and you've got ~7.45 million vs 6.5 million. 

"And though many have been quick to write off the PS3, the system is performing roughly on par with the original PlayStation. After four fiscal years, Sony shifted 32.8 million PS1s. Surprisingly, this is less than the PS3, which has sold 33.5 million units after 3 fiscal years and 3 quarters".

Sony counts shipped units as sold. 33.5 million units shipped as of December 31, 2009. VGC had PS3 at 30.5 million units sold as of December 31, 2009. 3 million PS3s sitting on shelves does not sound right. Is the PS3 undertracked?

Around the Network

I didn't know this...but i think it's just an illusion...

kowenicki said:
Lets be honest, the comparison is bogus. It is a very different world with many more consumers and markets that will have the opportunity to buy the PS3.

How many people in Poland, Greece and many other European countries even had the opportunity to buy a PS1 or could afford one?

Also gaming is a much more main stream pass time than it was back then.

Look at how video game systems are taxted in those countries (VAT) and what the average wage is. Its not much better than the PS1, if not worse. Yet I can remember a time when plenty of people had (relatively) expensive Amigas.

Leo-j said: If a dvd for a pc game holds what? Crysis at 3000p or something, why in the world cant a blu-ray disc do the same?

ssj12 said: Player specific decoders are nothing more than specialized GPUs. Gran Turismo is the trust driving simulator of them all. 

"Why do they call it the xbox 360? Because when you see it, you'll turn 360 degrees and walk away" 

Kasz216 said:
MikeB said:
Darc Requiem said:

Nomatter the headstart in 2 regions, taking equal timeframes last quarter the PS3 sold just as much as the PS1 did for the equivalent quarter. So IMO despite the much cheaper entry pricing of the PS1 at that point, the PS3 performs well and considering how well the PS1 did in the end certain fans too quickly made this gen out to be a sprint instead of a marathon.

6.5  million for PS3 vs 5.7 for PS1.   With the 5.7 being under Sony's old shipment figures.

Afterall since the PS3 had the 2 region headstart that means it's ahead in the "Sales ramp" so to speak by a year in the US... and like 9-10 motnhs ahead in the EU

For example 1 year later.... the PS1 shipped 3.41 million in the US in the equivlent quarter and 2.59 million in the EU.  Combined with the 1.45 million that shipped in Japan in 97...

though this is sometimes seen as irrelevan't, the ps3 was a year late to the 360 and more 1 year and 5 months in europe it strongest market.

ps3 not only passed 360 in europe but others in a blink of a eye.

in similar time frame ps3 it's performing abit better, both console with the hardware released worlwide

i think ps3 wont get to the ps1 100 millions, but will reach high numbers later on if sony plays theirs cars right imo.

one o them depends if nintendo decides to make hardware more powerful than the ps3, or just about the same, and the other if sony will tackle microsoft for multiple cpu console, with very expensive hardware.

now we now that early birds may mean they will win the gen.

Xoj said:
Kasz216 said:
MikeB said:
Darc Requiem said:

though this is sometimes seen as irrelevan't, the ps3 was a year late to the 360 and more 1 year and 5 months in europe it strongest market.

in similar time frame ps3 it's performing abit better, both console with the hardware released worlwide

i think ps3 wont get to the ps1 100 millions, but will reach high numbers later on if sony plays theirs cars right imo.

one o them depends if nintendo decides to make hardware more powerful than the ps3, or just about the same, and the other if sony will tackle microsoft for multiple cpu console, with very expensive hardware.

I'm not sure what your point is here...

Though the reason why it's seen as irrelvent in the PS3/360 model is because they are of the same generation and your asking two different questions.

The PS3 will never gain that extra time on the 360... since the generation is going to end at the same time... one console may stop being sold before the other, but we don't know that for sure, both may get cut off at about the same time.  They're being sold primarily through the same timeframe.   It's an issue of how fast the PS3 is catchin up to the 360 in this case and will it beat it.

It's only when you compare generations do you adjust for launch, because it is here you need to do modelling based on sales arcs since you have both a valid starting and ending date for one of the two being compaired.  (Or both.)

The chance of the PS3 winning this generation though is still rather unlikely, even if it were to hit 100 million... which is still seen as less likely then likely.

Kasz216 said:
Xoj said:
Kasz216 said:
MikeB said:
Darc Requiem said:

I'm not sure what your point is here...

Though the reason why it's seen as irrelvent in the PS3/360 model is because they are of the same generation and your asking two different questions.

The PS3 will never gain that extra time on the 360... since the generation is going to end at the same time... one console may stop being sold before the other, but we don't know that for sure, both may get cut off at about the same time.  They're being sold primarily through the same timeframe.   It's an issue of how fast the PS3 is catchin up to the 360 in this case and will it beat it.

It's only when you compare generations do you adjust for launch, because it is here you need to do modelling based on sales arcs since you have both a valid starting and ending date for one of the two being compaired.  (Or both.)

The chance of the PS3 winning this generation though is still rather unlikely, even if it were to hit 100 million... which is still seen as less likely then likely.

there is some treding ps3 it performing alot better in the same timeframe and right now, than the 360, but many people see this as irrevelant because 360 was on price cut bump and performing better, now though ps3 got even a bigger bump on higher price point, in the same time frame.

they will cut alot that year advance by next price cut, from what i  see gap may go to 3.2m by end of the year, until microsoft next price cut, so until some months in effect we wont know how it will slow it down.