By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Do Mascots matter anymore? I know Nintendo is really big into Mario as its main mascot, but I don't think it even used Mario as a flagship title for the past two generations now. It used to be that when you think "Nintendo" you automatically think "mario" or when you think Sega you automatically think "sonic." Now its sort of whatever. This is especially the case with Sony and Microsoft. There's no one dominant videogame character that associates itself with a brand (though the guy from Halo comes close). So then are Mascots dead?

Around the Network

Nah, not at all. There is a pretty close link between 'mascots' and 'brands'. A lot of modern brands have *lots* of mascots - so there isn't as many huge ones. Look at the Nintendo licences/brands - Mario, Zelda, Yoshi, Kirby, Pikmin, DK, Bowser, Picachu. Add some of the less strong 'mascots' (but still well on the way to being associated with a brand) - Animal Crossing characters, Mii's (in general), Pokemons, Brain Training (heads) - Nintendog puppies? (probably not recognisable enough). Add some other mascots: - Lara Croft, Jak/Dexter, Rachet/Clank, Sly, Master Chief, That guy from GoW, Kratos, VF characters, DOA characters... Do you consider these mascots at all? Or something else? I still think its all linked - you see the character, then recognise the brand, then recognise the company. Nintendo's characters are particularly strong (up there with Disney?).

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

Iono, it just doesn't seem as strong as it used to be. I think its because Nintendo used to bundle Mario with all its systems and Sega bundled Sega with all its systems. I think Lara Croft was a big mascot in the PS1 Generation, but not so much any more. I think you're right in that the sheer number of brands probably dilutes the power of any one brand. Also, a lot of brands are third party now-- Sonic is now on every system so the association with a sega system is somewhat lost. The same goes for franchises like DOA, VF, or Solid Snake. In this generation, I don't see any definitive Mascots for Xbox or PS3. Gears or War? Motorstorm? not as much association as Mario + SNES or whatever.

That Guy said: Iono, it just doesn't seem as strong as it used to be. I think its because Nintendo used to bundle Mario with all its systems and Sega bundled Sega with all its systems. I think Lara Croft was a big mascot in the PS1 Generation, but not so much any more. I think you're right in that the sheer number of brands probably dilutes the power of any one brand. Also, a lot of brands are third party now-- Sonic is now on every system so the association with a sega system is somewhat lost. The same goes for franchises like DOA, VF, or Solid Snake. In this generation, I don't see any definitive Mascots for Xbox or PS3. Gears or War? Motorstorm? not as much association as Mario + SNES or whatever.
Well it could be down to the fact that there are more characters and different game types out there now, all in direct competition with each other, and some going multi platform. All in all what I'm getting at is the Sonic/Mario names are becoming diluted now as time goes on and new generations of systems/characters come by... Yes I'd still think Mario/NES and Sonic/Mega Drive.

Good to see this site is still going 

Oui les mascottes sont très importantes, ce sont des symboles très forts de significations.
Moi ma mascotte c'est la marmotte :)