By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - cycycychris reviews: South Park: The Stick of Truth (Switch)

Tagged games:

South Park: The Stick of Truth is a video game adaption of the beloved Comedy Central series. There have been several attempts at South Park games in the past, but all have fallen short. Stick of Truth is the first to break that trend and turned into an excellent experience.

South Park’s story revolves around you being the new kid in town and trying to make new friends. But soon after you show up in South Park, weird events start to happen and an alien ship crashes within the town. This results in a cover up and toxic materials to be spread throughout the town. You’re tasked with not only making new friends but also to save the beloved town. The story has a rather clever premise and several twists for you to discover. But it also has the magic flair of Matt and Trey; it will have you laughing throughout. It has the stupidness and edginess you are used to from the south park show. The story also features many call backs to the show and video game series that will delight loyal fans.

South Park stays true to its art style and design from the show and overall graphically looks great. The art style has been converted into a fully open world design of the town of South Park. Though this open world is rather small, there is still plenty to find within. I explored most of the houses and shops within an hour or 2. There are also secrets and side missions to find throughout, but not a ton. In the end I was hoping for a bit more use with the open world, since it’s mostly ignored with fast travel. A bit more side story based side missions and main story integration would have been welcomed.

The combat in South Park is a turn based combat system, where you and your partner fight against numerous enemies. South Park lets you pick from 6 unique partners that have their different attack/assist types, but not all will be available to you the whole game. The combat is heavily designed based on Paper Mario with even timed button presses making an appearance. In the beginning I was really digging South Park combat, it has its depth with many different type of attacks you can do and enemies having weaknesses to certain attack types. But as I hit the halfway point in the game, I noticed all the enemies all of sudden had huge amounts of armor and no longer warranted me using all my attacks. For the last 1/3 of the game I only used 2 attacks every time, which was kind of disappointing. I have all these attacks, but 2 of them were great against these types of enemies I kept facing.

Ultimately South Park brings in everything you expect from a fantasy RPG. You get to create your own custom characters, you have skill trees and a leveling system, armor and weapon unlocked based on your level, classes, and yes there are even clans (Kyle’s elf’s and Cartman’s humans). One great thing about the leveling system is that there was no grinding, which was a huge relief. And all these systems gave a great sense of progression and added the needed extra bit of depth South Park needed.

The overall level design and atmosphere were great, you’ll be exploring environments such as Mr. Slave’s rectum, Alien space ships filled with probes, Canada, and so much more. All are filled with their own little puzzles for you to solve and at time branching pathways. Enemies are spread throughout a level; along with a boss battle at the end. You’ll want to swing your sword at the enemy when you approach, that determines who goes first. The enemies and the bosses you face within South Park are all call backs to the show and are usually a joke within themselves. Most bosses weren't memorable for me, but they were still at the same time fun and enjoyable.

Verdict:

South Park: The Stick of Truth is a wonderful game. It has amazing humor and its story is a joy to play through. The world is beautiful and the level design was great. The combat is fun, but ended up you using the same attack again and again. But South Park offer everything you expect from a fantasy RPG and does it well. I highly advice everyone to buy this game!

Score:

9.1/10

+

Funny Writing
Solid RPG mechanics
great level design and atmosphere
-
repetitive attack use
at times lacks ambition Last edited by cycycychris - on 04 February 2019

     

Check out my lastest games review: Fast RMX and  Snipperclips: Cut it out Together

Around the Network

nice review I picked this up on sale and i thought it was great also. will definitely play the sequel once that goes on sale again



Loved this game and reading your review reminded me that I have yet to finished the sequel (damned infinite loading bug).

Canada’s chapter with the french separatists of Quebec was perfect and since I’m a redhead, the school chapter with the gingers was hilarious 😆



Baddman said:
nice review I picked this up on sale and i thought it was great also. will definitely play the sequel once that goes on sale again

 You also got it in the Ubisoft christmas sale (or maybe it was black Friday)? I was surprised how cheap it was. I saw the sequel is $30 on Amazon, I think i might end up just getting it from there once I finish LA Noire. I don't want to continue to fill my Micro SD card.

Also thanks for the kind words, I usually write huge reviews but for some reason i didn't have too much to say about this one. I guess since I enjoyed it so much.

Last edited by cycycychris - on 04 February 2019

     

Check out my lastest games review: Fast RMX and  Snipperclips: Cut it out Together

abronn627 said:
Loved this game and reading your review reminded me that I have yet to finished the sequel (damned infinite loading bug).

Canada’s chapter with the french separatists of Quebec was perfect and since I’m a redhead, the school chapter with the gingers was hilarious 😆

 I remember hearing about that bug, I believe it patched out pretty quick, amazing that it got by QA. I'll get the 2nd one soon.

My favorite part about stick of truth is the overall joke that

Spoiler!
the alien crash site is a taco bell, its just so stupid that its funny and how everyone just goes with it. Also how every zombie yells old Hitler clips.


     

Check out my lastest games review: Fast RMX and  Snipperclips: Cut it out Together

Around the Network
cycycychris said:
abronn627 said:
Loved this game and reading your review reminded me that I have yet to finished the sequel (damned infinite loading bug).

Canada’s chapter with the french separatists of Quebec was perfect and since I’m a redhead, the school chapter with the gingers was hilarious 😆

 I remember hearing about that bug, I believe it patched out pretty quick, amazing that it got by QA. I'll get the 2nd one soon.

My favorite part about stick of truth is the overall joke that

Spoiler!
the alien crash site is a taco bell, its just so stupid that its funny and how everyone just goes with it. Also how every zombie yells old Hitler clips.

Why do you reminded me that !

Now I have to replay it and it was not on my budget, thanks for that...😭



Great review, and I agree with everything you said. It's a good RPG that is just hilarious to play. It reminds me a lot of those old Lucas Arts adventure games (like Monkey Island). Decent gameplay attached to really funny entertainment. It's also fun to play in a group, because the game is just so funny.



No mention of the music eh? I found the BGM to be of average quality in terms of composition, but sparse in variety, and thus very repetitive. I did 2 complete playthroughs, and messed around on a third, and most of that was done with the BMG turned off. I doubt I made it half-way through my first run before I took it off. Also, even though you reviewed the Switch version. I'll mention that I thought the trophies/achievements were atrocious. Usage of a trophy guide was requisite, as there were multiple hidden and missable trophies. Poor implementation IMO. Great game though.



Chinese food for breakfast

 

abronn627 said:
cycycychris said:

 I remember hearing about that bug, I believe it patched out pretty quick, amazing that it got by QA. I'll get the 2nd one soon.

My favorite part about stick of truth is the overall joke that

Spoiler!
the alien crash site is a taco bell, its just so stupid that its funny and how everyone just goes with it. Also how every zombie yells old Hitler clips.

Why do you reminded me that !

Now I have to replay it and it was not on my budget, thanks for that...😭

 Lol, At least I've gotten you to play a great game :P

The_Liquid_Laser said:
Great review, and I agree with everything you said. It's a good RPG that is just hilarious to play. It reminds me a lot of those old Lucas Arts adventure games (like Monkey Island). Decent gameplay attached to really funny entertainment. It's also fun to play in a group, because the game is just so funny.

 Thanks for the kind words :)

I played it in-front of my brother most the time and it seemed to keep his attention

COKTOE said:

No mention of the music eh? I found the BGM to be of average quality in terms of composition, but sparse in variety, and thus very repetitive. I did 2 complete playthroughs, and messed around on a third, and most of that was done with the BMG turned off. I doubt I made it half-way through my first run before I took it off. Also, even though you reviewed the Switch version. I'll mention that I thought the trophies/achievements were atrocious. Usage of a trophy guide was requisite, as there were multiple hidden and missable trophies. Poor implementation IMO. Great game though.

 The soundtrack was nothing special, it had a fantasy theme to it, which I found interesting. And yup, I know nothing about them trophies :P



     

Check out my lastest games review: Fast RMX and  Snipperclips: Cut it out Together