Milosevic’s ex-prosecutor raises possibility of Israel ‘war crimes’ in killing of Palestinian medics
A top British human rights lawyer and lead prosecutor at Slobodan Milosevic‘s 2002 trial has called on the international community to put more pressure on the Israeli government to fully explain its role in the killing of 15 Palestinian medics in Gaza.
In an interview with Al Jazeera, Geoffrey Nice said that “it would be very hard to believe” that those involved in the massacre of the medical workers were “rogue elements” of the Israeli military.
“When you have the people, who can send the bulldozers and their diggers, the people who send out the public relations information, which turned out be false, it is very hard to believe that this is a rogue element.
“If it is not a rogue element, then what’s being done is in accordance with the practice and accepted practice within the [Israeli army], and that’s going to be something very difficult to confront,” said Nice, who also took part in the International Criminal Tribunal for the former Yugoslavia.
“Without better justification, or any justification, this is a terribly serious war crime.”
Gaza Civil Defence fears ‘worse’ if Israel not held to account for killing medics
There has been international condemnation after a video emerged of an Israeli attack that killed 15 Palestinian medics in March.
The video contradicts Israel’s version of events – as the medics’ vehicles are marked, the occupants are wearing reflective clothing, and emergency lights are clearly visible – and there are now calls for the attack to be investigated as a war crime.
“The repercussions on us as a Palestinian population are very dire, namely on the relief workers, paramedics and Civil Defence teams,” Palestinian Civil Defence spokesperson in Gaza Mahmoud Basal told Al Jazeera.
“Does the international community wish to see health workers stop fulfilling their humanitarian mission? If those culprits go unpunished and this crime and the Israelis continue to act with impunity, they will continue to perpetrate more war crimes and more pogroms across the Palestinian population.
“We fear worse in the future as more paramedics, ambulance and civil defence crews will be targeted, assassinated. This means the population is doomed and the relief workers will not be able to perform their duties.
“We hope the international community, human rights organisations, and other legal organs take firm measures against the Israeli forces and the perpetrators held to account.
“Due protection must be provided to healthcare workers – this vest I’m wearing is supposed to protect me, which is cherished under international humanitarian law and international treaties.”
France allows Netanyahu’s plane through airspace despite ICC ruling
According to the FlightRadar24 website, an Israeli government aircraft carrying Netanyahu that left Hungary for the US has passed through French airspace despite an international warrant for his arrest.
Last year, the International Criminal Court (ICC) issued arrest warrants for Netanyahu and former Israeli Defence Minister Yoav Gallant on war crimes and crimes against humanity for the war in Gaza.
As a signatory of the ICC, France is legally obliged to cooperate fully with investigations and prosecutions of crimes within its jurisdiction, but it can use its veto power against any action in this regard.
This is the third time France has allowed Netanyahu’s plane to cross through its airspace, the previous two times being on February 2 and February 9 for trips to and from the US.
Last week, Hungary dropped out of the ICC after inviting Netanyahu to visit Budapest.







