By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

UNSC demands the release of ship crew detained by the Houthis

As we’ve been reporting, today marks the first anniversary of the Houthis’ seizure of the merchant ship, MV Galaxy Leader.

The UNSC issued a statement recalling the attack and demanding the immediate release of the vessels and its 25 crew members.

The crew have now been unlawfully detained for almost one year, it said.

“The members of the Security Council emphasized the need to prevent further regional spillover of the conflict and its impact on security and stability in the region and beyond,” the UNSC said. “In this regard, they reiterated the necessity to address the root causes contributing to regional tensions and to the disruption of maritime security in the Red Sea and encouraged enhanced diplomatic efforts by all.”


Yemen’s Houthis say they attacked vessel in Red Sea

A military spokesman for the Houthis says they launched a missile attack on a ship in the Red Sea, without specifying when. A vessel passing through the Red Sea off Yemen reported missiles slamming into the sea nearby on Sunday and Monday.

The Houthis have launched repeated drone and missile attacks on ships in the Red Sea, the Bab al-Mandeb Strait, and the Gulf of Aden since November last year, demanding Israel end the war on Gaza.