Family of Al Jazeera’s wounded cameraman on hunger strike in push for Gaza evacuation
The family of Al Jazeera cameraman Fadi al-Wahidi is staging a hunger strike to demand that Israeli forces allow his evacuation from Gaza, our colleagues at Al Jazeera Arabic have reported.
Al-Wahidi has been in a coma since being shot in the neck on October 9 as he reported on the Israeli ground invasion of the Jabalia refugee camp in northern Gaza. His mother, who suffers from cancer, said she was afraid that her son might die if not allowed treatment abroad.
Despite appeals from three media freedom organisations, Israeli authorities have not allowed al-Wahidi and fellow Al Jazeera cameraman Ali al-Attar, who is also wounded, to leave Gaza.
Israel allowed only quarter of Gaza evacuations needed for wounded: UN
The UN has reported that Israel allowed the evacuation of only a quarter of the 21,000 patients in Gaza since October 2023.
“On Wednesday, WHO and its partners supported the medical evacuation of eight children and six of their companions from Gaza into Jordan,” UN spokesperson Stephane Dujarric said at a news conference, adding that those evacuated will go to the US to receive specialised treatment.
“Once again, we call for the establishment of evacuation corridors and for all possible routes to be used for the safe and timely passage of all patients who need specialised care,” he added.
UN urges unhindered access for humanitarian aid in Gaza
The United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs has reiterated that international humanitarian law mandates that civilians must be allowed to receive assistance “wherever they are”, spokesperson for the UN chief said.
“The World Health Organization tells us that Israel authorities continue to deny the agency’s request to access the Kamal Adwan and the al-Awda hospitals in north Gaza governorate,” Stephane Dujarric added.
“Last week, all three attempts to deploy an international emergency medical team were blocked.”







