Friday news, part two:
Heist Simulator lets you design and share your own devious heist levels
From GTA 5 to Monaco to Payday 2, I never get tired of pulling off heists in videogames. Putting together a team of colorful, highly skilled characters. Using stealth, subterfuge, and coordination to infiltrate a secure location. Stealing something valuable or getting completely busted. You son of a bitch, I'm in.
Mismanagement and cut costs doomed Warcraft 3: Reforged, a new report finds
Warcraft 3 Reforged's underwhelming release was the result of budget cuts, mismanagement, and internal disputes, a recently-released report from Bloomberg has found.
Genshin Impact is getting a Horizon Zero Dawn crossover
Genshin Impact is getting its first crossover event with Horizon Zero Dawn's Aloy.
MiHoYo announced the collaboration on Twitter, revealing that she'll be a cryo, bow-wielding character and also completely free. That makes her the first five-star character to be given away in Genshin Impact without needing to roll on a banner, which is pretty dang neat. As long as you're at least adventure rank 20, she'll land in your mailbox as soon as the event kicks off.
Apex Legends reveals Seer's powerful tracking abilities
There's nowhere to hide from Apex Legends' new character, the "stealth-oriented" tracker Seer. The next legend was fully unveiled today during the EA Play 2021 live stream as part of Apex's next season, which is called Emergence. Gameplay is coming Monday, but for now, we have a very flashy animated short that introduces the new season, the new Rampage LMG, and some upcoming changes to the World's Edge map.
Dark fairytale adventure Lost in Random rolls up this September
At EA Play we got a nice long look at Lost in Random, the upcoming combat adventure from Zoink Games, makers of Fe. In this coming-of-age fairytale with a Tim Burton-esque style, you play as Even, a little girl searching for her sister, Odd, who has been abducted by an evil queen. Along for the adventure is Even's friend Dicey, a six-sided die that scampers around on little stick legs when it's not clinging to her shoulders like a backpack.
7 top Borderlands 3 developers have reportedly left Gearbox
Gearbox has confirmed an Axios report that seven top developers on Borderlands 3 have left the company to form a new studio. Details on the new venture haven't been revealed but Randy Pitchford, founder of Gearbox Entertainment, said their departure will have no impact on the development of the studio's current project, Tiny Tina's Wonderlands.
World of Warcraft players are staging in-game protests against Activision Blizzard
World of Warcraft players are gathering by the hundreds in-game to protest Activision Blizzard after the state of California filed a lawsuit against the company for operating a workplace steeped in sexual harassment, gender discrimination, and "frat boy culture." Players from both factions have gathered in the city of Oribos, where hundreds are sitting quietly on the steps leading to its inn, discussing the lawsuit or expressing anger and dismay at the allegations.
>> They've even asked for the removal of an ex-employee name.
Respawn is hiring for a 'brand new singleplayer adventure'
Something new is cooking over at Respawn Entertainment, the "small but ambitious" studio behind games including Titanfall, Apex Legends, and Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order. Creative director Mohammad Alavi hit up Twitter earlier this afternoon to say the developer is working on "a brand new singleplayer adventure," and provided links to job listings for technical, combat, and level designers.
Bungie promises 'zero-tolerance' for harassment following Activision allegations
The Destiny 2 developer had a ten-year publishing agreement with Activision Blizzard starting 2010, which was terminated early in 2019. Bungie hasn't had anything to do with the company since then, but it did spend eight years working with it, and so perhaps wants to set its own tone.
Star Wars Galaxies devs discuss why it died
I love a GDC postmortem, with the Fallout and Diablo breakdowns as classic examples of the form. The latest from this year's all-digital GDC put Star Wars Galaxies on the slab so creative director Raph Koster and executive producer Richard Vogel could dissect what went wrong with the infamous MMO. As the opening crawl put it, "This is the story of the worst game to become a classic, and of the most infamous patch in videogame history."
Knockout City season 2 launches next week, new maps and balls detailed
EA's dodgebrawler Knockout City gets a new map next week as part of the second season's launch, and it looks pretty neat: It takes place in a huge movie studio spanning a heap of different film genres, and according to EA "the playing field changes in real-time" throughout matches. Fingers crossed that neon robot Godzilla thing doesn't hit too hard.
Overwatch may have pulled planned map reveal amid this week's abuse allegations
According to a now-archived article by Dexerto (via Eurogamer), Blizzard planned to announce a new deathmatch map Malevento in a surprise PTR update yesterday. Described as one of the most vibrant maps in the game, the small Italian town would harbour a secret Talon base, and was set to arrive in the game proper on August 17.
Sports Interactive announces multi-year project to bring women's football to Football Manager
Sports Interactive and Sega today announced that a multi-year multi-million project has began to bring women's football into the Football Manager series. The developer added that this will not be a standalone women's football simulation, but fully incorporated into Football Manager, "with managers able to take control of either men’s or women’s clubs and move between them seamlessly."
And here are the deals available this weekend at GOG and Steam:
- The first one is the Weekly Sale, with up to 95% discounts: https://www.gog.com/promo/20210719_weekly_sale
- The Team17 Publisher Sale, with up to 90% discounts, will also last until Monday: https://www.gog.com/promo/20210719_team17_sale
- The Special Sale, featuring Board and Card games up to 85% off, will last another 3 days: https://www.gog.com/promo/20210719_board_and_card_games
- The Midweek Sale and its up to 90% discounts will last another 22 hours: https://www.gog.com/promo/20210721_midweek_sale
- The Weekend Sale features isometric games up to 90% off: https://www.gog.com/promo/20210723_weekend_sale
- And there's also a Bethesda Publisher Weekend Sale with up to 80% discounts: https://www.gog.com/promo/20210723_bethesda_weekend
- And these are the new releases:
- Urban Trial Tricky Deluxe Edition arrives with a 20% discount until July 29: https://www.gog.com/game/urban_trial_tricky_deluxe_edition
- Hot Brass launches with a 20% discount until July 30: https://www.gog.com/game/hot_brass
- Blue Fire lands with a 40% discount until July 30: https://www.gog.com/game/blue_fire
- And last, but not least, Amazing Cultivation Simulator comes to GOG with a 15% deal until August 2nd: https://www.gog.com/game/amazing_cultivation_simulator
- The new daily deal is First Class Trouble, still in Early Access, 34% off: https://store.steampowered.com/app/953880/First_Class_Trouble/
- The Olympic Games Tokyo 2020 – The Official Video Game is free to try until Monday: https://store.steampowered.com/app/981890/Olympic_Games_Tokyo_2020__The_Official_Video_Game/
- The Hi-Rez Studios Publisher Weekend Sale offers up to 80% discounts until the 26th: https://store.steampowered.com/curator/25309/sale/hirezpubweekend2021
- Narita Boy, that has a demo, will be 50% off until July 29: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1069530/Narita_Boy/
- Days Gone will be 20% off until August 5: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1259420/Days_Gone/
- And of course, there's also the weeklong deals.
That's all folks! Have a happy and gaming weekend.
Please excuse my bad English.
Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070
Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.