Exactly. Above average gameplay, which was the point he was trying to make.
Feel free to go check the Final Fantasy XIII metacritic page, and the first mention of gameplay from a critic was: "...and the battle system strikes an elegant balance between strategy and fast-paced action." A couple reviews down, another critic starts with: "Square Enix has brought some RPG elements to the forefront, while putting some away in the back. This might offend some gamers, but with a mix of tactics, a deep battle system and action-filled battles Final Fantasy XIII will entice plenty of players."
While you're technically correct you could go to an aggregate site and find critics or fans praising the gameplay, I don't know what you're trying to add by being that pedantic, especially when here you are now basically agreeing with the general sentiment; The Last of Us isn't a game people remember for it's gameplay, because it's not that great.
I was originally responding to somebody else, regarding a comment that I feel was dealing in absolute terms that are not representative of reality. My personal take is irrelevant. to And furthermore, DeusXMachina said that the gameplay was "not bad" which is a few degrees removed from "above average" where I come from. Again though, not germame to the topic at hand, which was a post that read:"Well the game gets praised for it's story and not it's gameplay"
- "A masterpiece, that breaks the self imposed barriers of gaming narrative and ensnares the player with intelligent gameplay and brilliant A.I.
- "With The Last of Us they have given us a consistent and interesting world that is supported by practically all of its game mechanics. From the rich complex combat system to the sublime sound design, this game immerses the player in one of the most visceral plots in this generation.
- "The Last of Us merges very good gameplay with a peerless story and unequaled production values.
- "It is the studio’s finest game to date, marrying gameplay and fiction better than any of the Uncharted games.
- "With The Last of Us they have given us a consistent and interesting world that is supported by practically all of its game mechanics.
- "Naughty Dog has taken what it’s learnt from crafting the Uncharted franchise and spun that experience into a more down-to-earth, realistic adventure that shines with storytelling excellence, great combat, tense atmosphere and the highest quality in presentation".
Now, those six examples I've given are from the first seven reviews on the PS3 version only. Do you think I could find any more examples of gameplay praise for one of the most acclaimed games of all time? And please refrain from casting aspersions if you're not quite sure what's being discussed.
- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."