Personally, I thought this year for music was much weaker than 2013. Nevertheless, here are my top 5 albums.
5. Red Light by f(x) [standout tracks: "Milk" and "Dracula"]
4. Dress to Kill by After School [standout tracks: "Shh", "Heaven", "Rock It!"]
3. Everything Will Be Alright in the End by Weezer [standout tracks: "The British Are Coming", "Go Away", "Cleopatra"]
2. Transgender Dysphoria Blues by Against Me! [standout tracks: "Transgender Dysphoria Blues", "True Trans Soul Rebel", "Osama Bin Laden As The Crucified Christ"]
1. Great Western Valkyrie by Rival Sons [standout tracks: all 10 of them]
-> I'm hoping that Radiohead, Billy Talent, Queens of the Stone Age, and Deafheaven will release new albums in 2015.
I'd replace Rock It with In The Moonlight.
2013 was the year when I purchased most of the albums/singles of my collection... This year, ugh not so much since I went mostly digital.
In no particular order minus FEMM:
VAMPS - Bloodsuckers
Koda Kumi - Bon Voyage
AfterSchool - Dress To Kill
BoA - Who's Back?
FEMM - Femisation
Honorable mentions would be Kaori Oda's Colors, FictionJunction's Elemental, and the best albums by Kalafina "Red" and "Blue", and Namie Amuro's "Ballada". I didn't get to purchase or listen to Yamapi's "You" or Asobi... Which sucks.
FEMM is overall my favorite thing of the year, the whole concept is silly but interesting. Although their music is produced and the generic lyrics are both by western producers.. They're catchy as heck, just what I needed.
Looking forward to Koda Kumi's 15th anniversary album and celebration, and whatever Namie has in store.
Pretty strong year!