I think Uncharted 3 to be a massively better game. My reasons:
1) Uncharted has characters I can care about far more, they show more personality and trigger emotion. Gears of War centers around some empthy headed testosteroned Space Marines. Awesome acting performances in the Uncharted series, IMO quite horrible in Gears of War.
2) Story telling. IMO Uncharted is worthy of hollywood in this regard, Gears of War's story is forgetable to say the least. Actually after completing Gears of War 1, I forgot the plot, actually even before that... Something about the fate of human kind on some foreign planet being in the hands in some peanut brained bodybuilders during some strange alien invasion. From what I have seen from Gears of War 2 it's more of the same and I think Gears of War 3 will be more of the same too.
3) Graphically Uncharted 2 looks way beyond anything achieved in Gears of War for example with regard to fluid animations/progress, details, lighting, special effects and physics. Even Uncharted 1 performed anti-aliasing combined with great HDR in high definition which no 360 game has been able to match.
4) Audio wise, the Uncharted series comes in multiple languages. So when I play through the campaign a few more times (on a higher difficulty level), I switch to another language like my native language Dutch and maybe German after completing the campaign in English. This actually keeps the story feel fresher to me.
5) Online mulitplayer. Uncharted 2's online mulit-player is a lot more varied and it's also available for free to anyone who buys the game! On the XBox 360 you need to pay extra each month/year to be able to play the game online and what's even worse you will have to bug your gaming buddies to do the same...
6) Gameplay mechanics. Drake is a lot more flexible with regard to movement than Marcus. Drake can roll dive, hang from the edge of a building while aiming and shooting. You can perform various pushes and kicks. Marcus can unrealistically crouch run (I'm a physiotherapist) but is unable to jump 10 centimeters.
7) Art design. The Uncharted series takes a picturesque approach with lots of epic moments and amazing views. Gears of War takes a dull alien scenery approach and lacks for instance arty death scenes and amazing lighting as seen in the Killzone or God of War series on the PS3. In the Uncharted series there also interesting females (also in terms of character design/development), Gears of War 3 looks to take the shemale approach instead.
8) Lastability. The Uncharted series include lots of hidden treasures, which make it more interesting to replay the campaign again. Also see my comments with regard to online play above.
9) Sense of humour. Gears of War tries to be funny like some aliens crushing some tiny mammels under their boots or boomers saying boom like a 3 year old when they fire upon you with a rocket lauchner. The Uncharted series takes much more clever and well thought "Indy" kind of approach IMO adults (and for example females around watching) will find a far more enjoyable approach.
10) Killing the bad guys. In Gears of War many enemies could only be killed by some remote satelite laser. You can't hurt those bigger guys in any other way. IMO this was used too often. In the Uncharted series you actually have to make plans when in cover. For example, first I am going to sneak kill that guy from behind, get his guy and hide behind the table and wait for the second guy when he comes examining. Then I am going to blow up the fuel cannister to kill the 2 guys there and then.. You get the point. Not nearly as much the case in Gears of War.
I could go on and on, but it's already a 10 - 0 victory for Uncharted! IMO the Uncharted series is way beyond Gears of War's league!
IMO Gears of War voters give Uncharted a try!
Wait wait wait, let me get this straight. So you never even played Gears of War 2 and thus you can write it off? I could shoot down everyone of those "arguments" you have, but I'm even doubting if you have even played the first Gears of War. Seriously aliens? You have no idea what you are talking about. Gosh fanboyism.
But coming from someone who has played all 4 of these games. I am most excited for Gears of War 3. I was late to the party on Gears of War 1, and really didn't get it. I completed the campaign and wasn't blown away by anything but the gameplay and graphics. I guess I expected more in the story department. After beating it once, I was finished with that game. Uncharted: Drakes Fortune was almost the same to me. I grew so bored playing through the story, even though I enjoyed most of the gameplay mechanics. Not the grenade though, bleh. I rented it twice, never finished it. Finally rented it a third time and a friend and I got the platinum that night. (Fact Check: I have 390 Achievements in Gears of War and a Platinum in Uncharted: Drakes Fortune.)
So then comes Gears of War 2 and Uncharted 2: Among Thieves. I loved both of these game the moment I started playing them. Gears of War 2 brought an amazing story, some really compelling characters, amazing set pieces, and so many enemies on screen that to this day I still don't know how they did it. Horde mode was so addictive, multiplayer was blast, and the story was so fantastic. I've played the story twice in co-op, and once in single player. 3rd person cover shooters, this is your God. (Fact Check: I have well over 1195 achievements in Gears of War 2. My gamertag is Lazthelost)
Next up was Uncharted 2. The first game really dragged for me but the second game I really enjoyed. The graphics, the improved controls, the multiplayer, everything was really fantastic. Uncharted 2 has some amazing set pieces and some really fun trophies. The multiplayer was addictive, besides the fact that PSN will random disconnect and in Naughty Dogs eyes, that means that I quit a game, thus taking away levels and money I honestly earned. But all in all this game blew me away as well. Call me a fan. (Fact Check: I have a platinum trophy in Uncharted 2, not to mention a lot of the dlc multiplayer trophies. PSN name: Lazthelost)
So where is your proof that you've played these games MikeB?
This year I am buying both games on day one. But I honestly am looking forward to Gears of War 3 more so than Uncharted 3: Drakes Deception. I plan to play both of them multiple times and their multiplayer components. But this is just my personal opinion.