Quantcast
Locked: Sony PS3 comeback failure: And Xbox 360 still winning

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Sony PS3 comeback failure: And Xbox 360 still winning

2008 looked as though it would finally be the year of the Sony PS3, as sales looked promising from the start. Now we have reached the final part of 2008 and things have changed, as it looks as though the PlayStation 3 comeback is more of a failure than a success. Sales of the PS3 console are still much lower than the Xbox 360.

Sony PS3 sales were twice as much as last year, and were looking to close the gap on the Xbox 360, but Microsoft introduced a number of price cuts, which was seen as a massive blow to PlayStation 3 sales. Early results from the Christmas shopping season do not look that great for the PS3, while Xbox 360 sales almost doubled of ps3,have seen an increase of 8 percent.  Sales for the PlayStation 3 look to be flat.

Sony was hoping that console and video game sales would help their core electronic business, which has been hit hard by the downturn of the global economy. It seems that Sony’s idea of selling an advanced game machine with the best hardware looks to be backfiring on them, hopefully this will force Sony it to give up on the PS3.



Around the Network

The 360 isn't winning anything. Forgotten about the Wii?

Besides, ever since the PS3 launch, the 360 has only outsold it by about 2.5 million in that period of time.

 

Consoles owned: Saturn, Dreamcast, PS1, PS2, PSP, DS, PS3

I agree its over, Sony is finished. Its likely they will announce the discontinuation of the playstation brand within a week or so, and that the company will be dismantled shortly thereafter



ǝןdɯıs ʇı dǝǝʞ oʇ ǝʞıן ı ʍouʞ noʎ 

Ask me about being an elitist jerk

Time for hype

leatherhat said:
I agree its over, Sony is finished. Its likely they will announce the discontinuation of the playstation brand within a week or so, and that the company will be dismantled shortly thereafter

 

Can I quote you on that?

 



Proud Sony Rear Admiral

The Playstation 3 is an exceptional piece of hardware and has reached the install base to guarantee multiplat support for the rest of the generation. End of story. Sony has chosen to avoid continued hardware losses until the cost of the technology comes down and they can afford a price cut. The availability of cheaper blu-ray players this holiday, the 360 price cut to $199, and the horrid economy have all created the perfect storm.

Yet the PS3 will still end up moving a BUNCH of consoles in the 4Q of 2008. Sony isn't going anywhere though admittedly this is far from what they envisioned, I'm sure.



I hate trolls.

Systems I currently own:  360, PS3, Wii, DS Lite (2)
Systems I've owned: PS2, PS1, Dreamcast, Saturn, 3DO, Genesis, Gamecube, N64, SNES, NES, GBA, GB, C64, Amiga, Atari 2600 and 5200, Sega Game Gear, Vectrex, Intellivision, Pong.  Yes, Pong.

Around the Network

Sorry m8 but the wii has won this gen and nobody cares about its sales anymore.

The real battle is between XBOX360 and PS3...



ahcheng said:

2008 looked as though it would finally be the year of the Sony PS3, as sales looked promising from the start. Now we have reached the final part of 2008 and things have changed, as it looks as though the PlayStation 3 comeback is more of a failure than a success. Sales of the PS3 console are still much lower than the Xbox 360.

Sony PS3 sales were twice as much as last year, and were looking to close the gap on the Xbox 360, but Microsoft introduced a number of price cuts, which was seen as a massive blow to PlayStation 3 sales. Early results from the Christmas shopping season do not look that great for the PS3, while Xbox 360 sales almost doubled of ps3,have seen an increase of 8 percent.  Sales for the PlayStation 3 look to be flat.

Sony was hoping that console and video game sales would help their core electronic business, which has been hit hard by the downturn of the global economy. It seems that Sony’s idea of selling an advanced game machine with the best hardware looks to be backfiring on them, hopefully this will force Sony it to give up on the PS3.

lol.. you sound like the X360 version of Rock_on_2008.

Posts that simply are statements or manifestos, no room for discussion lol.

 



Spankey said:
leatherhat said:
I agree its over, Sony is finished. Its likely they will announce the discontinuation of the playstation brand within a week or so, and that the company will be dismantled shortly thereafter

 

Can I quote you on that?

 

 

Fine with me

 

 

As long as you realize its sarcasm



ǝןdɯıs ʇı dǝǝʞ oʇ ǝʞıן ı ʍouʞ noʎ 

Ask me about being an elitist jerk

Time for hype

yh!!!!! another threat about how bad is sony situation.. this is like the 100th for the week...



leatherhat said:
Spankey said:
leatherhat said:
I agree its over, Sony is finished. Its likely they will announce the discontinuation of the playstation brand within a week or so, and that the company will be dismantled shortly thereafter

 

Can I quote you on that?

 

 

Fine with me

 

 

As long as you realize its sarcasm

 

The funny thing is I just got my Sarcasm detector back from repairs. I hope it's still covered by warranty



Proud Sony Rear Admiral