Quantcast
Sony at E3 2006 by Digital Foundry

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Sony at E3 2006 by Digital Foundry

Phil Harrison has had such a shit show of a career. He was heavily involved with playstation for their most disastrous launch ever and then moved to xbox for their worst ever. Who's he with now? 

Still has a pretty bank balance though. 



Around the Network

The guys talking in this video are really annoying.  I'd rather watch the original presentation.


Anywho, I remember the PS3.  When it was first unveiled I thought it looked super cool, but no way was I going to pay $600 for one lol.  In 2008, the price came down to $400 and then I found a deal where I got another $150 off if I got a Sony credit card.  So I got my big, fat PS3 (sans backwards compatibility) took it home and found that it had like no games.  It was about 2 years after launch and it was very hard to find games I liked.  MSG4 was alright, but I never played the first 3 games.  Also I didn't even have a HD TV yet which probably affected some of the appeal.  Finally I look at the online Playstation Store and find Pixel Junk Monsters which is a great game.  But I found it funny that I had such a powerful hardware device to play a simple downloadable game.

I got a Wii in 2009 and mostly played it for a couple of years.  By around 2011 I'd played most of the Wii games I liked, and by that time the PS3 actually had a decent amount of good games.  So PS3 was mostly a secondary console until 2011.  And then I played it as my primary console for 2011-2013 or so.

Really the PS3 had a double whammy: huge cost and slow release schedule.  They put all their money into the hardware when they should have focused on bringing games sooner.  Also I don't think Sony expected Microsoft to compete so hard with the XBox360.  The XBox really wasn't on most people's radar, but the XBox360 seriously gave Sony a run for their money.  Between, the Wii and XBox360, Sony was kind of kept out of North America for most of generation 7, especially compared to how the PS2 did.



2005 and 2006 were terrible for Sony, 90% of the PS3 hype was build on CGIs.



Kerotan said:

Phil Harrison has had such a shit show of a career. He was heavily involved with playstation for their most disastrous launch ever and then moved to xbox for their worst ever. Who's he with now? 

Still has a pretty bank balance though. 

He's a Vice President at Google now, lol. I hope for Google's sake that he is not involved with their rumored next-gen console at all, because if he is, guaranteed disastrous launch, lol. 



shikamaru317 said:
Kerotan said:

Phil Harrison has had such a shit show of a career. He was heavily involved with playstation for their most disastrous launch ever and then moved to xbox for their worst ever. Who's he with now? 

Still has a pretty bank balance though. 

He's a Vice President at Google now, lol. I hope for Google's sake that he is not involved with their rumored next-gen console at all, because if he is, guaranteed disastrous launch, lol. 

Lol he could make it a triple streak of failures! 



Around the Network

Remember, hit the giant enemy crab's weak-point for massive damage.



Some days I just blow up.

shikamaru317 said:
Kerotan said:

Phil Harrison has had such a shit show of a career. He was heavily involved with playstation for their most disastrous launch ever and then moved to xbox for their worst ever. Who's he with now? 

Still has a pretty bank balance though. 

He's a Vice President at Google now, lol. I hope for Google's sake that he is not involved with their rumored next-gen console at all, because if he is, guaranteed disastrous launch, lol. 

He reportedly joined Google's "hardware" unit. If they're working on anything gaming related, he likely has a hand in it. If not that, then VR/AR. 



Haha good times. Can't believe this was almost 13 years ago, man I feel old..

Sony was clearly getting a bit complacent and perhaps somewhat arrogant after basically a decade of utter dominace over Nintendo, Sega, and Microsoft. It happens with a lot of companies I suppose. Lord knows, as a Nintendo fan, I noticed they've certainly done this themselves (late 90's after the NES and SNES success, and again in the late Wii and Wii U years following the 2006-2009 Wii phenomenon. They've only recently somewhat come down from that after the Switch launch, much like Sony seems to have to done with the PS4.

I remember this '06 conference as the year I was looking to jump on board either the Sony or MS camp and branch off from just Nintendo (plus a bit of PC and Sega), looking that supplement to go alongside with my Wii. I was looking to see which company impressed me the most and had the most games that interested me. Needless to say after this E3 I opted for the 360 and haven't looked back :P

Not to say the appeal of Sony's games and console hasn't improved quite a bit since this time, but still, these days it's more a matter of - I just don't really have a need for all 3 consoles so Sony is just the odd man out for me.



The_Liquid_Laser said:

The guys talking in this video are really annoying.  I'd rather watch the original presentation.


Anywho, I remember the PS3.  When it was first unveiled I thought it looked super cool, but no way was I going to pay $600 for one lol.  In 2008, the price came down to $400 and then I found a deal where I got another $150 off if I got a Sony credit card.  So I got my big, fat PS3 (sans backwards compatibility) took it home and found that it had like no games.  It was about 2 years after launch and it was very hard to find games I liked.  MSG4 was alright, but I never played the first 3 games.  Also I didn't even have a HD TV yet which probably affected some of the appeal.  Finally I look at the online Playstation Store and find Pixel Junk Monsters which is a great game.  But I found it funny that I had such a powerful hardware device to play a simple downloadable game.

I got a Wii in 2009 and mostly played it for a couple of years.  By around 2011 I'd played most of the Wii games I liked, and by that time the PS3 actually had a decent amount of good games.  So PS3 was mostly a secondary console until 2011.  And then I played it as my primary console for 2011-2013 or so.

Really the PS3 had a double whammy: huge cost and slow release schedule.  They put all their money into the hardware when they should have focused on bringing games sooner.  Also I don't think Sony expected Microsoft to compete so hard with the XBox360.  The XBox really wasn't on most people's radar, but the XBox360 seriously gave Sony a run for their money.  Between, the Wii and XBox360, Sony was kind of kept out of North America for most of generation 7, especially compared to how the PS2 did.

The old no game meme.



duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

DonFerrari said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

The guys talking in this video are really annoying.  I'd rather watch the original presentation.


Anywho, I remember the PS3.  When it was first unveiled I thought it looked super cool, but no way was I going to pay $600 for one lol.  In 2008, the price came down to $400 and then I found a deal where I got another $150 off if I got a Sony credit card.  So I got my big, fat PS3 (sans backwards compatibility) took it home and found that it had like no games.  It was about 2 years after launch and it was very hard to find games I liked.  MSG4 was alright, but I never played the first 3 games.  Also I didn't even have a HD TV yet which probably affected some of the appeal.  Finally I look at the online Playstation Store and find Pixel Junk Monsters which is a great game.  But I found it funny that I had such a powerful hardware device to play a simple downloadable game.

I got a Wii in 2009 and mostly played it for a couple of years.  By around 2011 I'd played most of the Wii games I liked, and by that time the PS3 actually had a decent amount of good games.  So PS3 was mostly a secondary console until 2011.  And then I played it as my primary console for 2011-2013 or so.

Really the PS3 had a double whammy: huge cost and slow release schedule.  They put all their money into the hardware when they should have focused on bringing games sooner.  Also I don't think Sony expected Microsoft to compete so hard with the XBox360.  The XBox really wasn't on most people's radar, but the XBox360 seriously gave Sony a run for their money.  Between, the Wii and XBox360, Sony was kind of kept out of North America for most of generation 7, especially compared to how the PS2 did.

The old no game meme.

For me it was more than a meme.  It was a no game experience.