Quantcast
Sony's Head of 13 Dev Studios Discusses the Future of Playstation

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony's Head of 13 Dev Studios Discusses the Future of Playstation

twintail said:

Why would they be looking to buy new studios, especially ones they personally havent worked with? 

That's my point. Hence the: "I struggle to come up with possible acquisitions well suited to help them expand the types of games they make."

With that said, they have collaborated with most of those devs.

Possible:
Bluepoint Games (Shadow of the Colossus Remake)
Clap Hanz (Everybody’s Golf)
Housemarque (Resogun)
Insomniac Games (Spider-Man)
Kojima Productions (Death Stranding)
Supermassive Games (Until Dawn)
 
Unlikely:
Bungie (Destiny)
Firesprite (The Persistence)
FromSoftware (Bloodborne)
Hello Games (No Man’s Sky)
Level-5 (Ni no Kuni)
Media.Vision (Wild Arms)
Q-Games (PixelJunk Series)
Quantic Dream (Detroit: Become Human)
Ready at Dawn Studios (The Order: 1886)
Sanzaru Games (Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time)
Sumo Digital (LittleBigPlanet 3)
Tarsier Studios (Tearaway Unfolded)



Around the Network
Replicant said:
twintail said:

Why would they be looking to buy new studios, especially ones they personally havent worked with? 

That's my point. Hence the: "I struggle to come up with possible acquisitions well suited to help them expand the types of games they make."

With that said, they have collaborated with most of those devs.

Possible:
Bluepoint Games (Shadow of the Colossus Remake)
Clap Hanz (Everybody’s Golf)
Housemarque (Resogun)
Insomniac Games (Spider-Man)
Kojima Productions (Death Stranding)
Supermassive Games (Until Dawn)
 
Unlikely:
Bungie (Destiny)
Firesprite (The Persistence)
FromSoftware (Bloodborne)
Hello Games (No Man’s Sky)
Level-5 (Ni no Kuni)
Media.Vision (Wild Arms)
Q-Games (PixelJunk Series)
Quantic Dream (Detroit: Become Human)
Ready at Dawn Studios (The Order: 1886)
Sanzaru Games (Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time)
Sumo Digital (LittleBigPlanet 3)
Tarsier Studios (Tearaway Unfolded)

they wouldn't be collaborating with these companies if they didn't offer something Sony wanted.

i also disagree with your list. The ship has sailed for both HouseMarque and SuperMassive. If Sony wanted them it would have happened by now. I would argue Clap Hanz too. If Sony hasn't incorporated them into their own studios by now it aint happening.

Also both Quantic Dreams and FromSoftware are not unlikely, they are straight up not going to happen/ impossible. Quantic Dreams already has some shares bought up by a Chinese company and FromSoftware is not even independent, they belong to a big media conglomerate.

Bungie and HelloGames wont happen since their involvement for both was just marketing, and not actual game making which is what Sony does first before studio acquisitions. 

Of course anything could happen I suppose.



twintail said:

i also disagree with your list. The ship has sailed for both HouseMarque and SuperMassive. If Sony wanted them it would have happened by now. I would argue Clap Hanz too. If Sony hasn't incorporated them into their own studios by now it aint happening.

Also both Quantic Dreams and FromSoftware are not unlikely, they are straight up not going to happen/ impossible. Quantic Dreams already has some shares bought up by a Chinese company and FromSoftware is not even independent, they belong to a big media conglomerate.

Good point. Housemarque, Supermassive, and Clap Hanz should probably be moved to "Unlikely".

Yeah, I considered making a third category called "Impossible" with non-independent companies that can't just independently agree to be acquired. These not only include Quantic Dream and FromSoftware but also e.g. Codemasters (Reliance Entertainment owns 29%).

twintail said:

Bungie and HelloGames wont happen since their involvement for both was just marketing, and not actual game making which is what Sony does first before studio acquisitions.

Bungie and Sony also collaborated to develop the DualShock 4 though you're right about no actual collaboration on game development. I guess, I included those to be able to look at all the possibilities.

twintail said:

Of course anything could happen I suppose.

...



twintail said:

Sony havent bought a studio (at least newsworthy) since Sucker Punch in 2011. 

They have already opened PixelOpus, Manchester Studio and a new studio in San Diego, while expanding existing studios.

Re-reading Shawn Layden's "buy up other game makers", I see that it's possible that he only refers to individual game makers and not established studios.

Because I agree that Sony tends to establish and expand internal studios rather than acquire external studios. 8 of Sony's 13 studios are founded internally. In comparison, only 4 of Microsoft's 12 studios are founded internally.


Sony Interactive Entertainment:
1. Bend Studio (Days Gone)
2. Guerrilla Games (Horizon: Zero Dawn)
3. Japan Studio (Astro Bot Rescue Mission)
4. London Studio (Blood and Truth)
5. Manchester Studio (-)
6. Media Molecule (Dreams)
7. Naughty Dog (The Last of Us Part II)
8. Pixelopus (Concrete Genie)
9. Polyphony Digital (Gran Turismo Sport)
10. Santa Monica Studio (God of War)
11. San Diego Studio (MLB The Show 19)
12. San Mateo Studio (Helldivers)
13. Sucker Punch (Ghost of Tsushima)

Microsoft Studios:
1. 343 Industries (Halo Infinite)
2. The Coalition (Gears of War 5)
3. Compulsion Games (We Happy Few)
4. The Initiative (-)
5. inXile Entertainment (Wasteland 3)
6. Mojang (Minecraft)
7. Ninja Theory (Hellblade: Seuna's Sacrifice)
8. Obsidian Entertaiment (The Outer Worlds)
9. Playground Games (Forza Horizon 4)
10. Rare (Sea of Thieves)
11. Turn 10 Studios (Forza Motorsport 7)
12. Undead Labs (State of Decay 2)





Around the Network
twintail said:
method114 said:

Weird that he says he wants to make fewer exclusives but the same amount as they have now? So than fewer than what? Also tired of people saying BR is a fad. It's not a fad it's like saying MOBA's are a fad. It's a game genre that people like and will continue to tweak and change the same way every other gaming genre has done. I've never really enjoyed BR games until Apex.

This is a good example where actually reading thr source would show that OP didnt know what he was talking about.

Layden never says they now want to make fewer games but rather says so as a general statement. Which is true in comparison to years before.

He also doesnt say BR is a fad. Just that he doesnt see the need for So mny to enter that genre when what they are doing now is working so well for them (single player narrative games)


 

Ok good to hear. All of these are much more reasonable statements which I actually agree with 100%. Especially the single player narrative which I enjoy a lot.



Whatever they say, staying out of e3 doesn't make sense in my opinion, really.. Presence is always presence and even though we can discuss if e3 is still relevant, the thing is, their competition will be there and it's still has a lot of audience. so, they can say they don't go there because they don't want to spend money or they've got nothing to show.. that's sorta fair, but still, they could survive there with 1 big game only and i don't think money's a problem for a corp like them.

Maybe they just don't care after selling 90m and that'd be a fairer answer imo



My Total Sales prediction for PS4 by the end of 2021: 110m+

When PS4 will hit 100m consoles sold: Before Christmas 2019

There were three ravens sat on a tree / They were as blacke as they might be / The one of them said to his mate, Where shall we our breakfast take?


0D0 said:

Whatever they say, staying out of e3 doesn't make sense in my opinion, really.. Presence is always presence and even though we can discuss if e3 is still relevant, the thing is, their competition will be there and it's still has a lot of audience. so, they can say they don't go there because they don't want to spend money or they've got nothing to show.. that's sorta fair, but still, they could survive there with 1 big game only and i don't think money's a problem for a corp like them.

Maybe they just don't care after selling 90m and that'd be a fairer answer imo

Unless we know what their plans its hard to say.

They dont need e3 to show stuff, especially nowadays with how we all access info. 



Replicant said:
PotentHerbs said:
"He also hinted that Sony's ready to buy up other game makers as it looks to expand the types of games it makes."

I struggle to come up with possible acquisitions well suited to help them expand the types of games they make. Insomniac Games, Kojima Productions, and Supermassive Games all make great singleplayer games which SIE already has a bunch of.

Possible:
Bluepoint Games (Shadow of the Colossus Remake)
Clap Hanz (Everybody’s Golf)
Housemarque (Resogun)
Insomniac Games (Spider-Man)
Kojima Productions (Death Stranding)
Supermassive Games (Until Dawn)
 
Unlikely:
4A Games (Metro)
Arc System Works (Granblue Fantasy Versus)
Bungie (Destiny)
Codemasters (Dirt Rally)
Crytek (Hunt: Showdown)
CyberConnect2 (Dragon Ball: Project Z)
Dontnod (Remember Me)
Firesprite (The Persistence)
FromSoftware (Bloodborne)
Funcom (Conan Exiles)
Gearbox Software (Borderlands)
Hello Games (No Man’s Sky)
IO Interactive (Hitman)
Level-5 (Ni no Kuni)
Media.Vision (Wild Arms)
PlatinumGames (Granblue Fantasy: Relink)
Q-Games (PixelJunk Series)
Quantic Dream (Detroit: Become Human)
Ready at Dawn Studios (The Order: 1886)
Remedy Entertainment (Control)
Sanzaru Games (Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time)
Sumo Digital (LittleBigPlanet 3)
Tarsier Studios (Tearaway Unfolded)
Yager Development (Spec Ops: The Line)

I don't see why Sony wouldn't buy developers who are single player focused. It fits more with their 'culture' if anything. 



PotentHerbs said:

I don't see why Sony wouldn't buy developers who are single player focused. It fits more with their 'culture' if anything. 

Sure. But depending on how you read the quote, it could suggest that potential acquisitions should be ones that help them expand beyond the types of games they already make: "He also hinted that Sony's ready to buy up other game makers as it looks to expand the types of games it makes."