Quantcast
OK, I faced it: WiiU can't sell over 15M

Forums - Sales Discussion - OK, I faced it: WiiU can't sell over 15M

15M, too low or just ok?

With my heartbroken, I agree. 291 32.96%
 
A pricecut can still push it to 20M-25M. 426 48.24%
 
Nonsense. WiiU is an assu... 165 18.69%
 
Total:882
spemanig said:
Lucas-Rio said:


Nintendo did not make money on hardware at launch before the Wii, especially not with the GC (price was slashed before launch).

Nintendo won't release a new console mid gen, 2 or 3 years before the Sony or Microsoft, that's extremely unlikely. Even if they are not direct competitors, it would be very confusing for their product. The new handheld is more likely to release in 2016.


What? Where did you get that from? The GCN was profitable its entire run, from what I've read.

Both will in 2016. The only way it will be "confusing" is if they fuck up the names like they did with the Wii U. Since they will be most likely branded together, as opposed to being branded with their predesessors, they'd need to try mighty hard to fuck it up. 

Nintendo can't stomach a dual launch the same year.

The Game cube was not sold at profit , but Nintendo was making money on games. Nintendo explained the price of the Wii (gamecube rebooted) by saying that contrary to what they were doing normally, they wanted to profit on hardware too.



Around the Network

WiiU will hit 15M, i dare say, it will cross the 20M, the thing is... it's a poor mark, WiiU is posed to make 15M and 20M, but most likely will not cross 25M.



Prediction: In 5 years Nintendo will Lauch a "Core Mario game"  very similar to Astro Bot. That said, many will Ignore Astro Bot existence and say Nintendo created this concept.

thismeintiel said:
Wii U will 100% make it to 15M+. I mean it hasn't even hit $249, let alone $199. It also still has a few good exclusives that haven't come out, mainly Zelda and a future Mario game. Of course, I do think it will struggle to hit 25M. My guess is it will wind up around 20M-22M. Well, unless sales go nuts once it hits $199, but I don't really expect that to happen.


Are you hinting that you consider to buy  a quite cheaper wii u?:P

It should go to 199$,the manufacturing cost is 180$!It isn't impossible,gamecube got two consecutive price cuts in its first two years,of 50$ and 50$ dollars respectively,199->99$!

Okay nintendo wants profits from wii u and currently gets them but I can't accept that it doesn't care for the baseline growth!2015 is the time for a great price cut of 50$ and why not another one 2016,-50$ again?:P



Lucas-Rio said:

We will wait getting full results of the end of this year to judge Smash.

But 150 is a price the Wii U will reach, as the GC reached 99 and so did the Wii. Will it happpen at the end of next year or in 2016 is the real question. The extra 50 is the price of the gamepad that can't be reduced.


We don't have to wait. We didn't have to wait for MK8. We didn't have to wait for SM3DW. Why would Smash be any different?

I don't see the Wii U hitting $150 until after the successor is released. The Wii reach $99 because it launched at only $250, and that was after many many years. You seriously think the Wii U will have dropped a full $200 in 3-4 years? Come on. The 360 has been out nearly a decade and isn't at $150 yet.

And, for the record, the Gamepad costed $80 to manufacture at launch. So no, it's not just $50 extra that can't be reduced.



Well, this is new.

Read.

Manlytears said:
WiiU will hit 15M, i dare say, it will cross the 20M, the thing is... it's a poor mark, WiiU is posed to make 15M and 20M, but most likely will not cross 25M.

Dude, where and when will it get a sale spike to reach 20 and beyond? Are you saying Nintendo will support the console for 4 more years?



Around the Network

@chakra: That definitely hurts Nintendo more than fans realize. I'd bet that Nintendo is actually aware of this. But either paying tons of money not knowing if people will buy them (they haven't so far) or not having them is kind of a double trap for Nintendo.

That might have been different with much better Marketing and a less dumb name. Wii 2 would have been self explanatory and there's zillions of other better names.

As of now it's probably to late to get those gamers back, that aren't dedicated Nintendo fans.



Lucas-Rio said:
spemanig said:

Nintendo can't stomach a dual launch the same year.

The Game cube was not sold at profit , but Nintendo was making money on games. Nintendo explained the price of the Wii (gamecube rebooted) by saying that contrary to what they were doing normally, they wanted to profit on hardware too.


I was always under the impression that the WiiU is the first system that Nintendo has not sold at a profit.



Lucas-Rio said:

Nintendo can't stomach a dual launch the same year.

The Game cube was not sold at profit , but Nintendo was making money on games. Nintendo explained the price of the Wii (gamecube rebooted) by saying that contrary to what they were doing normally, they wanted to profit on hardware too.


They can if they run on the same architecture. It wouldn't be a dual launch. They'll practically be the same system.

I read that the Wii U was the first console they ever had that was sold at a loss.



Well, this is new.

Read.

vivster said:
AAA300 said:
vivster said:

Nah, there is always the possibility for the Wii U to completely break down after 2015. There is however absolutely no possibility for the Wii U to sell 6m in 2015.


You mean like how xbox one  now continues to outsell ps4 weekly in the usa. Anything is possible just like how ps4 losses ground to xbox,wii u could also gain ground too. The ps4 hype train is slowing down here in america so lets see what happens.

Wii U is not Xbox. Xbox sold very close to PS4 all year in US even outselling it a few times long before the holidays. And it is still not selling anywhere else. The X1's slight recovery in US is no miracle considering the circumstances. In fact, I predicted long ago a recovery for X1 in US.

Wii U isn't even selling at a cheaper price with high class quality exclusives. The only chance I see for Wii U reaching 15m in 2015 is a price drop to $100. And that is not even a real chance.

No it didn't.  It outsold it last year in Dec, and has only won Nov NPD this year (and will probably win Dec by a couple 100Ks).  And only a few of the "normal" months were even that close, with the PS4 usually outselling it ~100K+.  If MS does put the XBO price back to $399, it's very easy to predict how things will go.  Nov and Dec proved that the XBO needs to be at least $50 cheaper PLUS come with a few free games for it to even take the US.  IDK, I just don't think MS, more importantly the higher ups and investors, are going to agree to throw money at the Xbox dvision for the next few years just to win the US by a few M's.  Not when it comes at the loss of profit, when the PS4 is selling at profit and still doing great.

Edit: Though, I do agree with you that the Wii U and XBO aren't exactly in the same situation.  The XBO should probably double the Wii U's sales numbers.  So, around 40M-45M.



tak13 said:
thismeintiel said:
Wii U will 100% make it to 15M+. I mean it hasn't even hit $249, let alone $199. It also still has a few good exclusives that haven't come out, mainly Zelda and a future Mario game. Of course, I do think it will struggle to hit 25M. My guess is it will wind up around 20M-22M. Well, unless sales go nuts once it hits $199, but I don't really expect that to happen.


Are you hinting that you consider to buy  a quite cheaper wii u?:P

It should go to 199$,the manufacturing cost is 180$!It isn't impossible,gamecube got two consecutive price cuts in its first two years,of 50$ and 50$ dollars respectively,199->99$!

Okay nintendo wants profits from wii u and currently gets them but I can't accept that it doesn't care for the baseline growth!2015 is the time for a great price cut of 50$ and why not another one 2016,-50$ again?:P

Lol, I've stated several times that I will definitely be getting a Wii U.  Maybe at $249, a definite at $199.  It has a few games I would love to play.  Mainly the Nintendo releases and Lego City Undercover (hope they still port this or release a sequel on PS4, though.)