Quantcast
Japan's Sales: "Bad" Sales now seem "Normal" to me

Forums - Sales Discussion - Japan's Sales: "Bad" Sales now seem "Normal" to me

In my mind its not bad sales its just the nature of the Japanese market for a number of reasons. The Japanese prefer handheld gaming platforms to home consoles because they spend a lot of the time on the move on subways and buses so they gaming while they travel. Also the homes of Japanese people are usually very small so they don't spend a lot of time at home. All this adds up to less levels of home console sales that the West. Its like that to in the other Asian markets.

The has anybody ever gone back and looked at how console sales were in Japan back 5 or 10 years ago?



 

Around the Network

I guess both PS4 and WiiU fans can agree on this one: that market is fading away. It's bad because it will also compromise games coming from Japan and westerners like me love.

 

*reffering to home consoles specifically. 



...Let the Sony Domination continue with the PS4...

It's sad to say but TRUE GAMING :P (home console gaming) is dying in Japan. Apparently phone games have taken over. Least portables are doing fine (not amazing).



Japan is not really a major market anymore I mean the xbox one has not even been released there yet and the Ps4 unlike previes sony consoles was released in Japan much later. It's no longer profitable for gaming companies to put any effort in this market and release Japanese aimed exclusives. Instead they could bring their lost sales by putting that effort in america and europe. Only nintendo seems to be keeping Japan as a main market for the 3DS which has a ton of Japanese aimed exclusives.



We all know Sony domination is a real thing and there is nothing Microsoft or Nintendo can do about it....

Send a Friend Request On PSN :P

Actually, if anything Japanese numbers are still pretty darn amazing. Just look at the top 10 Worldwide sales. The Japanese numbers alone are enough for a game to top the charts. How oftern does that happen with any other single region? Even Infamous and Titanfall couldn't do the numbers that some of the top Japanese games reach.

Take the UK for example. The Last of Us remaster had the 5th(?) biggest launch in the UK out of the current gen games and it still sold around 70k, a number not that impressive by Japan standards.

As for the hardware. Vita is doing bad, but better there than anywhere else. The wiiu is not doing well, but neither is it in the rest of the world. Didn't the 3ds break several records there and outpaced nds for a while? There's only so many 3ds's that Japanese people can buy. And compared to the rest of the world, it has done so far better overall.

As for the ps4, Sony was well aware that that would happen (hence delaying its launch in Japan; but they couldn't delay it for years. The Japanese were already mad at them for the delay). They do not have a single exclusive Japanese centric game, so of course it's flopping. We don't know what would have happened if it launched with FF 15 and any other proper exclusive.

I don't think that home consoles are dead or have no future there since both wiiu is doing about as bad as the rest of the world and ps4 numbers are what they are because of lack of exclusives. Does that mean that if ps4 gets exclusives it will fly off the shelves? No. It's all speculation. The point is, if it does get a constant stream of Japanese centric games and still doesn't sell well, then perhaps home consoles will be extremely niche in Japan.



Around the Network

i mostly ignore that market. it hasnt interested me in many years since i am more of a console guy anyways. that, and i dont do the tamapokemonster games.



 

Smear-Gel said:

Everyone keeps saying "Japan's sales are bad" for being worse than they used to be. But this has been going on for so long that we should pretty much expect these sales to be the new normal.

 

So comments like  "sales poor all around" on the Media Create/Famitsu/Dekenki sales threads always seem odd to me, since the numbers have come to be pretty much expected. A console selling 5K in the summer months and the winning console being ~10K being the normal thing for now sounds hilarious, even to a VGCharts noob like me, but this just seems like reality, until something comes along and changes Japan's market again, like the generation picking up with japan-like games, or something like pay increases or tax changes in the country.

 

Am I right or do you disagree? And if you do, can you say why in a not trollingly argumentative way?

Well there will be another tax change, but unfortunately it won't be for the better. Next year it will rise again to 10%, up from the 8% that it increased to earlier this year.

Consoles are not as popular anymore. Handhelds are much more popular and even those are being affected by the prevalance of smartphones.




starcraft: "I and every PS3 fanboy alive are waiting for Versus more than FFXIII.
Me since the games were revealed, the fanboys since E3."

Skeeuk: "playstation 3 is the ultimate in gaming acceleration"

naruball said:
Actually, if anything Japanese numbers are still pretty darn amazing. Just look at the top 10 Worldwide sales. The Japanese numbers alone are enough for a game to top the charts. How oftern does that happen with any other single region? Even Infamous and Titanfall couldn't do the numbers that some of the top Japanese games reach.

Take the UK for example. The Last of Us remaster had the 5th(?) biggest launch in the UK out of the current gen games and it still sold around 70k, a number not that impressive by Japan standards.

As for the hardware. Vita is doing bad, but better there than anywhere else. The wiiu is not doing well, but neither is it in the rest of the world. Didn't the 3ds break several records there and outpaced nds for a while? There's only so many 3ds's that Japanese people can buy. And compared to the rest of the world, it has done so far better overall.

As for the ps4, Sony was well aware that that would happen (hence delaying its launch in Japan; but they couldn't delay it for years. The Japanese were already mad at them for the delay). They do not have a single exclusive Japanese centric game, so of course it's flopping. We don't know what would have happened if it launched with FF 15 and any other proper exclusive.

I don't think that home consoles are dead or have no future there since both wiiu is doing about as bad as the rest of the world and ps4 numbers are what they are because of lack of exclusives. Does that mean that if ps4 gets exclusives it will fly off the shelves? No. It's all speculation. The point is, if it does get a constant stream of Japanese centric games and still doesn't sell well, then perhaps home consoles will be extremely niche in Japan.

I dunno, Wii U is picking up in the rest of the world and staying stagnant in Japan. It's usually about the same or lower than Europe, a region that traditionally hated the Wii U.

 

I agree though that many software numbers are still pretty damn amazing. Youkai Watch 2 and Monster Hunter 4 as examples.



 

Reaper2170 said:
It's sad to say but TRUE GAMING :P (home console gaming) is dying in Japan. Apparently phone games have taken over. Least portables are doing fine (not amazing).


In Japan, they'd probably consider portable gaming to be ""true"" gaming



 

Smear-Gel said:

I dunno, Wii U is picking up in the rest of the world and staying stagnant in Japan. It's usually about the same or lower than Europe, a region that traditionally hated the Wii U.

 

I agree though that many software numbers are still pretty damn amazing. Youkai Watch 2 and Monster Hunter 4 as examples.


Out of curiosity, do we have any official numbers that show that?