Quantcast
Eiji Aonuma wants the next Zelda to provide “a unique experience that is beyond your expectations”

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Eiji Aonuma wants the next Zelda to provide “a unique experience that is beyond your expectations”

Aielyn said:

Wait, what? Twilight Princess sold nearly as well as Ocarina, and that's if you ignore the GC version. Including the GC version, it outsold Ocarina by more than a million copies. The Wii version was the second-best-selling Zelda of all time, and the best-selling in Europe.

I don't want a by-the-numbers Ocarina clone, but there's no doubting that Twilight Princess performed very well by the Zelda standard.

Did you actually just play into that?

OT: It seems like Eiji's traumatic experience with his well received and well sold Zelda games makes him not want to go down that dark path again. Accept the man for who his, an evolving man. He has no time for making something everyone thinks they want!



Carl is a Piplup hater and deserves to be punished eternally.

Around the Network

I am really enjoying A Link Between Worlds and I really enjoyed Skyward Sword. So I look forward to what Mr. Aonuma has in store for the next Zelda. As usual I believe gameplay is the most important aspect of a Zelda game, but regarding art style I would rather they do a more realistic art style this time around (Twilight Princess like); namely for three reasons. Firstly, we have cel-shaded Zelda on the system and it looks great. Secondly, having a more realistic art style will allow them to show more of the graphical capabilities of the Wii U which I believe is important to average Western gamers (I do not mean to generalize, but this is based on my own observations) . Lastly, and most importantly for me, I never felt the Wii and Gamecube hardware did the Twilight Princess art-style justice; the textures looked extremely blurry and the lighting effects were very basic. I think part of the reason why Twilight Princess looked the way it did was because of the GC and Wii hardware limitations but also because the game was built on a modified Wind Waker engine which designed of cel-shaded graphics; thus, I would not mind seeing the new Zelda game being more realistic (along the lines of Twilight Princess but maybe with more color) and built around the Wii U hardware. I also would not mind the Wii Remote Plus sword, bow, and hookshots to return at least as an option for us who like to play like that (but I doubt they will).



I get the feeling there's a big structural change coming for the Zelda series in the next game. Multiplayer perhaps.



KungKras said:
Fuck you Aonuma.

How about actually meeting my expectations for once?


Now that would be a unique expereince from Aonuma

In all honesty a Zelda game with the freedom of zelda 1, item use and dungeon design and overeorld design of ALTTP, with Twlight Princess Production values (and muisc!) and the motion control of Skyward sword it will be the best zelda game never ever made :D



Tag:I'm not bias towards Nintendo. You just think that way (Admin note - it's "biased".  Not "bias")
(killeryoshis note - Who put that there ?)
Switch is 9th generation. Everyone else is playing on last gen systems!

Biggest pikmin fan on VGchartz I won from a voting poll
I am not a nerd. I am enthusiast.  EN-THU-SI-AST!
Do Not Click here or else I will call on the eye of shinning justice on you. 

I want to see a Zelda that goes back more to it's roots and doesn't try to add too much innovation to the game. It's not that I don't like innovation but I really like classical gaming. I would love to see a new and updated Ocarina of Time in HD but to play with the Pro(?) controller for the Wii U, more classic. They could try to add some new elements and features of course.



Around the Network
Soleron said:
Podings said:
Soleron said:

He's still trying to "surprise". Not giving people what they want but what he THINKS they want.

How about a really solid by-the-numbers Ocarina clone with maximum production value.


Well I for one would absolutely NOT buy that.

 

I think it's great that Aonuma still wants to surprise people.

"For one" is exactly the point.

VGChartz type of people cannot sustain the kind of games they want. Everyone on here is all Vita this and Wii U that, which is starkly different from the wider market.

Giving people what they want =/= Giving the Core what they want


Why would the broader audience care about how similar a new Zelda was to Ocarina of Time though?

 

Ocarina of Time is readily available for purchase on bot 3DS and Wii.



How about no Wii Motion Plus?



YNWA

Podings said:
Soleron said:
Podings said:
Soleron said:

He's still trying to "surprise". Not giving people what they want but what he THINKS they want.

How about a really solid by-the-numbers Ocarina clone with maximum production value.


Well I for one would absolutely NOT buy that.

 

I think it's great that Aonuma still wants to surprise people.

"For one" is exactly the point.

VGChartz type of people cannot sustain the kind of games they want. Everyone on here is all Vita this and Wii U that, which is starkly different from the wider market.

Giving people what they want =/= Giving the Core what they want


Why would the broader audience care about how similar a new Zelda was to Ocarina of Time though?

 

Ocarina of Time is readily available for purchase on bot 3DS and Wii.

Because Ocarina style is the most successful Zelda can be.

If you don't believe an Ocarina type can sell you're basically admitting Zelda can't be flagship selling any more.

I don't think Zelda, for its present sales, deserves a dedicated team, 5 year development times, all the media attention etc. etc.



Soleron said:
Podings said:
Soleron said:
Podings said:
Soleron said:

He's still trying to "surprise". Not giving people what they want but what he THINKS they want.

How about a really solid by-the-numbers Ocarina clone with maximum production value.


Well I for one would absolutely NOT buy that.

 

I think it's great that Aonuma still wants to surprise people.

"For one" is exactly the point.

VGChartz type of people cannot sustain the kind of games they want. Everyone on here is all Vita this and Wii U that, which is starkly different from the wider market.

Giving people what they want =/= Giving the Core what they want


Why would the broader audience care about how similar a new Zelda was to Ocarina of Time though?

 

Ocarina of Time is readily available for purchase on bot 3DS and Wii.

Because Ocarina style is the most successful Zelda can be.

If you don't believe an Ocarina type can sell you're basically admitting Zelda can't be flagship selling any more.

I don't think Zelda, for its present sales, deserves a dedicated team, 5 year development times, all the media attention etc. etc.

 

A good game takes a long time, and the Zelda team really isn't that big compared to typical AAA productions.

I'm not saying a game closely resembling OoT wouldn't sell. Just that the people that aren't "in the know" wouldn't care how close it was to that particular game anyway, and the ones who are would be put off by the lack of originality.



Podings said:
...

 

A good game takes a long time, and the Zelda team really isn't that big compared to typical AAA productions.

I'm not saying a game closely resembling OoT wouldn't sell. Just that the people that aren't "in the know" wouldn't care how close it was to that particular game anyway, and the ones who are would be put off by the lack of originality.

One thing the sales charts continuously prove is that lack of originality is the LAST thing to stop games selling.

yearly Call of Duty, Assassin's Creed.

every Pokemon exactly the same structure

People sub to WoW for 10 years