Quantcast
Why Beyond: Two Souls is Better Than a Movie (Gamespot)

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why Beyond: Two Souls is Better Than a Movie (Gamespot)

Tagged games:

pezus said:
kowenicki said:

Which movie is it better than?

it says better than a movie? I'm sure it is better than many movies. 

I don't understand?

i'll watch the link and maybe it will be more clear. 

Why didn't you just watch before commenting...?

The premise is that it's a better experience than movies because you are in control. It is you who pushes the buttons. That naturally makes you feel more involved.

Agreed, its more immersive because you have some control. But you don't have much control on the story and gameplay based on QTEs with no or little consequence is boring.

Some parts of the story were just bad and made no sense. Aiden's powers are inconsistent which hurts the experience. Even as an interactive story, it was kind of a mess.



Recently Completed
Crackdown 3
for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Around the Network
adriane23 said:

Options and gameplay are too different things. I chose your argument about the options in the game and how they affect the story because I disagree with them. I agree with your argument about the game requiring no skill to play, so there was no point in bringing it up. As a matter of fact, the whole point of this type of game is that it doesn't require skill to play, much like point-and-click adventure games.

What I don't care for in this game and the options it presents to you is that they're mostly no-brainers. There was never really a moment in the game where I had to sit and think about my options, because I was sure my choice was the correct one regardless of the ramifications, unlike Heavy Rain.

Well even point and click adventure games require some puzzle soliving skills.

They present Beyond as if your decisions really mold story, but they really don't. The most control you feel you have is when you build an ending at the end.

Ultimately, I like the idea of this type of game. But they need to give you more control of story. Especially if the gameplay is limited to QTEs.



Recently Completed
Crackdown 3
for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Mr Puggsly said:

They present Beyond as if your decisions really mold story, but they really don't. The most control you feel you have is when you build an ending at the end.

That's simply not true. The final sequence may be the only period in the game where the player is presented with entirely different scenes based on their choice, but each sequence before that plays out in varying manners. So to say that your decisions don't really mold the story is definitely inaccurate.



Mr Puggsly said:
Wright said:

People who hate 3EYOND because they think it is a movie and haven't even played it are morons.

 

3EYOND hype!!!!!!11!1!!!111!11

What about the people that hate it because its barely a game?

I just completed it... as a game it was pretty awful.


Shhhh, if you make too much sense they'll start to get mad.



dirtylemons said:
Mr Puggsly said:

They present Beyond as if your decisions really mold story, but they really don't. The most control you feel you have is when you build an ending at the end.

That's simply not true. The final sequence may be the only period in the game where the player is presented with entirely different scenes based on their choice, but each sequence before that plays out in varying manners. So to say that your decisions don't really mold the story is definitely inaccurate.

You basically just decide how the character will spend her life. The most significant part of the ending is the same for all playthroughs.

Also, I found it odd I can choose to have an ending with someone I never developed a connection with in my playthrough.

Lastly, I'm disappointed that trailers used a scene from the epilogue where she's looking over the city in ruins. It was misleading about what occurs in the game.



Recently Completed
Crackdown 3
for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Around the Network
Mr Puggsly said:

You basically just decide how the character will spend her life. The most significant part of the ending is the same for all playthroughs.

Also, I found it odd I can choose to have an ending with someone I never developed a connection with in my playthrough.

Lastly, I'm disappointed that trailers used a scene from the epilogue where she's looking over the city in ruins. It was misleading about what occurs in the game.


Which is the point of the game, I thought. Experiencing this character's life. And the ending choices aren't any different from virtually all games marketed as featuring choices. Admittedly, 'Heavy Rain's ending differed depending on who lived or died, but that was basically it.

Okay, that probably is odd. I wouldn't know as I haven't experienced it, but it's a valid criticism if true.

Here again, I can't really speak to this issue. I love Quantic Dream and decided I was going to buy this game day one as soon as I read the announcement. So I didn't want to potentially spoil anything by even watching the trailers.



because it makes sure your awake due to interactive qte



dirtylemons said:


Which is the point of the game, I thought. Experiencing this character's life. And the ending choices aren't any different from virtually all games marketed as featuring choices. Admittedly, 'Heavy Rain's ending differed depending on who lived or died, but that was basically it.

Okay, that probably is odd. I wouldn't know as I haven't experienced it, but it's a valid criticism if true.

Here again, I can't really speak to this issue. I love Quantic Dream and decided I was going to buy this game day one as soon as I read the announcement. So I didn't want to potentially spoil anything by even watching the trailers.

Alright, after doing a little reading there are basically 5 endings to choose from. Only 1 ending isn't an option if a certain character dies during your playthrough. Hence, it doesn't matter how you interact with people, as long as they are alive you can have an ending with them.



Recently Completed
Crackdown 3
for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Mr Puggsly said:
dirtylemons said:


Which is the point of the game, I thought. Experiencing this character's life. And the ending choices aren't any different from virtually all games marketed as featuring choices. Admittedly, 'Heavy Rain's ending differed depending on who lived or died, but that was basically it.

Okay, that probably is odd. I wouldn't know as I haven't experienced it, but it's a valid criticism if true.

Here again, I can't really speak to this issue. I love Quantic Dream and decided I was going to buy this game day one as soon as I read the announcement. So I didn't want to potentially spoil anything by even watching the trailers.

Alright, after doing a little reading there are basically 5 endings to choose from. Only 1 ending isn't an option if a certain character dies during your playthrough. Hence, it doesn't matter how you interact with people, as long as they are alive you can have an ending with them.

But you do choose quite a bit, even though it might not affect the ending much, right? 



pezus said:

But you do choose quite a bit, even though it might not affect the ending much, right? 

No, not really. The biggest decisions seem to be who I'm fucking at the end.

Also, why do I have to choose between Zoey and Ryan? I can't visit Zoey? Maybe call and say what's up? This game is a mess.



Recently Completed
Crackdown 3
for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)