Forums - Sony Discussion - Superchunk's Guide to Sony's 2011 Plans

superchunk said:
Grimes said:

The biggest problem with android is piracy. I don't know how much Sony can do about it since Google is in the driver seat. I suppose they could devise some system to try to prevent piracy, but the android hackers seem to be very good. There is some risk when you put your software into the android marketplace. I'm not saying that can't be overcome, but so far nothing I've seen changes the status quo.

By piracy are you referring to rooting/roms or actually copying/utilizing normally paid for apps for free, like pirating a DVD or something?

While I've seen plenty of the former, I haven't seen to many of the latter. Granted, I did only have to buy one copy of my LauncherPro plus and have used it on both of my Fascinates. But, the nature of constantly revolving phones (every 2 years max) that utilize the same base OS, I don't see how you can negate that rollover. Additionally, this is possible on iOS with your iTunes account anyways. No difference, just the nature of mobile.

No, actual piracy of software. In Asia, piracy rates are estimated to be over 97%. They are using apps they didn't pay for. Nobody buys software, they pirate it.

It's the reason there are more iPhone developers, because more people buy software than pirate.



Anyone can guess. It takes no effort to throw out lots of predictions and have some of them be correct. You are not and wiser or better for having your guesses be right. Even a blind man can hit the bullseye.

Around the Network
Grimes said:
 

No, actual piracy of software. In Asia, piracy rates are estimated to be over 97%. They are using apps they didn't pay for. Nobody buys software, they pirate it.

All of the Android users I know and talk to personally and on dev forums utilize the abundance of free apps legally in the market. The greater majority of these use admobs for revenue which is fine as its small and not intrusive.

Asia is like that with EVERY product, not just Android, so its really not saying much.



This thread is one of the best ones I have read in a while.

I would like to hear an even more detailed analysis if you ever think of more to say Superchunk.



̶3̶R̶D̶   2ND! Place has never been so sweet.


superchunk said:
Grimes said:
 

No, actual piracy of software. In Asia, piracy rates are estimated to be over 97%. They are using apps they didn't pay for. Nobody buys software, they pirate it.

All of the Android users I know and talk to personally and on dev forums utilize the abundance of free apps legally in the market. The greater majority of these use admobs for revenue which is fine as its small and not intrusive.

Asia is like that with EVERY product, not just Android, so its really not saying much.

Whatever the case, people are reluctant to buy software on android, which can be a problem. From what I've researched, piracy is a huge issue on Android.



Anyone can guess. It takes no effort to throw out lots of predictions and have some of them be correct. You are not and wiser or better for having your guesses be right. Even a blind man can hit the bullseye.

ultraslick said:

This thread is one of the best ones I have read in a while.

I would like to hear an even more detailed analysis if you ever think of more to say Superchunk.


Thank you!



Around the Network
Grimes said:

Whatever the case, people are reluctant to buy software on android, which can be a problem. From what I've researched, piracy is a huge issue on Android.


Superficial evidence, but I don't think Amazon and others would be creating market places if it was so high of a piracy hole. Not to mention I think Sony would have chosen a different route had it feared such a high rate of piracy.



What exactly was announced and set in motion reguarding the suite? I am a little foggy on the details. I understand it is a broad interconnected place where the same games and services are located but does this absolutely mean;

1. There WILL be android apps on the NGP?

2. We will see the Suite on the PS3?

As others have mentioned, I could see many of the ideas posed in the OP being saved for the introduction of the PS4 and not the PS3. (The same thing happened with the PSP/PS3... as far as interface goes) I also believe that the rear trckpad will be standard on all PS4 controllers.

The rear trackpad on a PS4 controller would allow for the PS4 to easily play touchscreen made apps and games without using the analog sticks or directional arrows. The inclusion of it on the NGP seems only to provide evidence for its eventual appearance on the PS4.



̶3̶R̶D̶   2ND! Place has never been so sweet.


ultraslick said:

What exactly was announced and set in motion reguarding the suite? I am a little foggy on the details. I understand it is a broad interconnected place where the same games and services are located but does this absolutely mean;

1. There WILL be android apps on the NGP?

2. We will see the Suite on the PS3?

As others have mentioned, I could see many of the ideas posed in the OP being saved for the introduction of the PS4 and not the PS3. (The same thing happened with the PSP/PS3... as far as interface goes) I also believe that the rear trckpad will be standard on all PS4 controllers.

The rear trackpad on a PS4 controller would allow for the PS4 to easily play touchscreen made apps and games without using the analog sticks or directional arrows. The inclusion of it on the NGP seems only t provide evidence for its eventual appearance on the PS4.

Yes is the answer to both your questions. Last night's conference did specifically mention both as guarantees.

I do agree that all this will definitely be on the PS4, however, I think Sony wants to prolong the life of the profitable PS3 and as such, the inclusions I referred to would be not only be needed, but simply impossible to deny.



superchunk said:
Grimes said:
 

Whatever the case, people are reluctant to buy software on android, which can be a problem. From what I've researched, piracy is a huge issue on Android.


Superficial evidence, but I don't think Amazon and others would be creating market places if it was so high of a piracy hole. Not to mention I think Sony would have chosen a different route had it feared such a high rate of piracy.

From what I've read from reports, not just anecdotally, it's a little more than superficial evidence. Piracy probably had an impact on the PSP but it didn't stop people from making games. But it was an issue.



Anyone can guess. It takes no effort to throw out lots of predictions and have some of them be correct. You are not and wiser or better for having your guesses be right. Even a blind man can hit the bullseye.

Around the Network
superchunk said:
ultraslick said:

What exactly was announced and set in motion reguarding the suite? I am a little foggy on the details. I understand it is a broad interconnected place where the same games and services are located but does this absolutely mean;

1. There WILL be android apps on the NGP?

2. We will see the Suite on the PS3?

As others have mentioned, I could see many of the ideas posed in the OP being saved for the introduction of the PS4 and not the PS3. (The same thing happened with the PSP/PS3... as far as interface goes) I also believe that the rear trckpad will be standard on all PS4 controllers.

The rear trackpad on a PS4 controller would allow for the PS4 to easily play touchscreen made apps and games without using the analog sticks or directional arrows. The inclusion of it on the NGP seems only t provide evidence for its eventual appearance on the PS4.

Yes is the answer to both your questions. Last night's conference did specifically mention both as guarantees.

I do agree that all this will definitely be on the PS4, however, I think Sony wants to prolong the life of the profitable PS3 and as such, the inclusions I referred to would be not only be needed, but simply impossible to deny.

I've been looking at all the stuff that's come out of the conference most of the day, and I have seen no mention of either. Could you get a source for it?



Guild Wars 2