Quantcast
HD Penetration.

Forums - General Discussion - HD Penetration.

That Guy said:

I have a question. I'm going to go out on a limb and say that most of the people here who support Wii are downplaying HD as much as they can, saying that its not that big of a deal. whereas, PS3/Xbox fans are on the other end of the spectrum, insisting that HD is everything. The truth is that its probably somewhere in the middle.

Back to my question. 

If the Nintendo Wii supported HD? Would Wii fans still downplay HD? And would PS3/Xbox people push HD like its the greatest thing since sliced bread?

 

 

If you really cared all that much about HDTV would you probably have not bought a Wii ... So the majority of Wii supporters probably do not really care much about HDTV at all

On the other hand, people who are really huge HDTV supporters probably bought a PS3/XBox 360 for the HD gaming experience and access to HD movies ...

If the Wii supported HD without any added cost it would likely see (slightly) greater support but I don't think that many of the current supporters would care about HD anymore than they currently do.



Around the Network
That Guy said:

I have a question. I'm going to go out on a limb and say that most of the people here who support Wii are downplaying HD as much as they can, saying that its not that big of a deal. whereas, PS3/Xbox fans are on the other end of the spectrum, insisting that HD is everything. The truth is that its probably somewhere in the middle.

Back to my question.

If the Nintendo Wii supported HD? Would Wii fans still downplay HD? And would PS3/Xbox people push HD like its the greatest thing since sliced bread?

 

 


The truth is, HD isn't that big of a deal yet.  It's definitely a cool technology and will become the standard in the future.  But I don't think it's that important today, tomorrow, or even over the next couple of years.

Even if the Wii supported HD TV, I still would not go out and buy one today.  (Heck, I still haven't gotten a Wii either.)  I'm not going to let a video game system dictate what TV I own and vice versa.  

I agree with you that some fanboys too often use the lack of high def. against the Wii and those on the other side are going to try and drown them out.  But I honestly think Nintendo called it right in deciding that HD doesn't matter now or in the near future.  Maybe towards the end of this console generation it will become important, but I'm sure there will be a Wii HD by then.



Numbers are like people. Torture them enough and you can get them to say anything you want.

VGChartz Resident Thread Killer

Sometimes I feel like I'm the only person in the world who does not have a problem with going back and playing older games at lower resolutions.



Nobody is crazy enough to accuse me of being sane.

vanguardian1 said:
Sometimes I feel like I'm the only person in the world who does not have a problem with going back and playing older games at lower resolutions.

I also like to play older games ...

I admit that you notice the lower resolution and graphical artifacts at first but (usually within 5 to 10 minutes) you're so involved in the game that you don't notice it anymore.



I like you vanguardian1, like to go back and play my Atari 2600 games, their hella fun. Cant wait for JOUST for my PS3. However the way you worded that... exactly my point.

vanguardian1 said: Sometimes I feel like I'm the only person in the world who does not have a problem with going back and playing older games at lower resolutions.
That is my point. Older games = lower quality/rez. Newer games, higher quality. HappySqurriel - I agree 100%. If you have a HDTV, chances are, your gonna be shuned away from the Wii... Wich means that you yourself right there, admit that in 3 years, the Wii will have a ***MAJOR*** handicap vs PS3/360. I'm going back to playing with my 1976 truck and rubing on it 1 mile down the road. nitenite



PSN ID: Kwaad


I fly this flag in victory!

Around the Network
Kwaad said:
I like you vanguardian1, like to go back and play my Atari 2600 games, their hella fun. Cant wait for JOUST for my PS3. However the way you worded that... exactly my point.
vanguardian1 said: Sometimes I feel like I'm the only person in the world who does not have a problem with going back and playing older games at lower resolutions.
That is my point. Older games = lower quality/rez. Newer games, higher quality. HappySqurriel - I agree 100%. If you have a HDTV, chances are, your gonna be shuned away from the Wii... Wich means that you yourself right there, admit that in 3 years, the Wii will have a ***MAJOR*** handicap vs PS3/360. I'm going back to playing with my 1976 truck and rubing on it 1 mile down the road. nitenite

I think you missed my point ...

For the first 5 minutes you notice the difference but very quickly you stop noticing because it really doesn't matter ...

I actually own an HDTV and two weeks ago was babysitting my little niece and nephew so I picked up a VCR from my parents and gave the children a viewing of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles at VHS quality. It was obvious how poor of an image VHS produced but I never thought about going to Blockbuster and renting the movie on DVD ...

For the most part people are not going to shun DVD quality ... they may opt for higher quality at an affordable price but for the next several years DVD quality is good enough for most people.



I like that guy's post above (not me, just don't recall his name). Hasn't Japan had HD for a while now? And how has the PS3 fared in Japan?

 As for how much game quality is added to games if its HD, I'd say some, but not significantly much. Would Animal Crossing be a better game if it was in HD--- would Animal Crossing be any better as a game if it had post N64-era graphics? I don't think it would matter too much, IMO.

 The same goes for games like Wii Sports, the Cooking game, or the Surgery Game. HD probably wouldn't enhance their value too much. 

 And would you ever go so far as to say that a game totally sucks because it wasn't in HD? If that same crappy game was presented in HD, would it be any better? I would like to think "no"

Good games will be good games and crappy games will be crappy games, and HD/lack of HD will not turn a good game into a crappy game or vice versa.  .



That Guy said:

Good games will be good games and crappy games will be crappy games, and HD/lack of HD will not turn a good game into a crappy game or vice versa.


Amen!

Numbers are like people. Torture them enough and you can get them to say anything you want.

VGChartz Resident Thread Killer

Kwaad said:
http://technology360.typepad.com/technology360/2006/01/household_penet.html That says a give or take 15-20% households have HDTV. http://www.dvdinformation.com/News/press/CES010807.htm This says 35million HD sets sold in NA alone. The question is, what % of people buying HDTVs have game consoles? As there were only ~40million PS2's sold in NA. Are the people buying HDTVs the same people that play games? I would think so?

And how many of those who already have an HDTV do have an HD receiver/player and are using the right cables?

Here's a nice article.



Now Loading... Please Wait!

zsidane - correct. Do you know how easy it is to hook your PS3 up to your TV? 1 wire. 1. You dont have to screw it like coax. So it is the easiest TV hookup ever. Dont bash PS3, HDMI, or HDTV because people cant hook it up right. If you cant plug... ONE wire... into the device, and the back of your TV. you do not NEED a TV. You do not NEED light switches, you do not NEED power, because you would NOT be able to plug in a power plug in the wall. You should be living under a cedar tree in the forest trying to 'plug' your wooden spear, into a squirrel, so you can plug a stick in a log, and spin it fast to start a fire to cook the not so HappySquirrel you plugged the stick into. Ok. Enough of plugging parody. Sorry HappySquirrel, that was just too amusing for me. The idea slipped into my head when I was thinking of a adjective to put with squirrel... :P



PSN ID: Kwaad


I fly this flag in victory!