By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wii Guitar Hero III missing stereo, surround sound support?

Have any GH3 Wii owners had this problem?  I searched the forum and didn't see any complaints about this even though the game has been out in the US for 16 days.

Opposable Thumbs:

Wii owners who picked up the game have unfortunately found themselves missing one crucial feature for any music game: stereo and surround sound support. Reportedly, the Wii version supports only mono sound.

Numerous users posted in a thread on the official Guitar Hero III forums complaining that the Wii version not only doesn't support Dolby Pro Logic II—as labeled on the box—but doesn't even support true stereo sound. This is a huge problem for a game that largely revolves around music.

An email response from Activision to one of the forum members confirms that the problem is currently under investigation, but unfortunately the response states that "the time frame [for a fix] is still unknown at the moment as we are still looking into the problem."

We don't provide the 'easy to program for' console that they [developers] want, because 'easy to program for' means that anybody will be able to take advantage of pretty much what the hardware can do, so the question is what do you do for the rest of the nine and half years? It's a learning process. - SCEI president Kaz Hirai

It's a virus where you buy it and you play it with your friends and they're like, "Oh my God that's so cool, I'm gonna go buy it." So you stop playing it after two months, but they buy it and they stop playing it after two months but they've showed it to someone else who then go out and buy it and so on. Everyone I know bought one and nobody turns it on. - Epic Games president Mike Capps

We have a real culture of thrift. The goal that I had in bringing a lot of the packaged goods folks into Activision about 10 years ago was to take all the fun out of making video games. - Activision CEO Bobby Kotick

Around the Network

The story is also on Kotaku.

We don't provide the 'easy to program for' console that they [developers] want, because 'easy to program for' means that anybody will be able to take advantage of pretty much what the hardware can do, so the question is what do you do for the rest of the nine and half years? It's a learning process. - SCEI president Kaz Hirai

It's a virus where you buy it and you play it with your friends and they're like, "Oh my God that's so cool, I'm gonna go buy it." So you stop playing it after two months, but they buy it and they stop playing it after two months but they've showed it to someone else who then go out and buy it and so on. Everyone I know bought one and nobody turns it on. - Epic Games president Mike Capps

We have a real culture of thrift. The goal that I had in bringing a lot of the packaged goods folks into Activision about 10 years ago was to take all the fun out of making video games. - Activision CEO Bobby Kotick

I believe there is some type of flaw, but the Stereo (at my house) and the Prologic (at my brothers house) seem to work fine. I have been trying to figure out what they are talking about.

I would cite regulation, but I know you will simply ignore it.

What's up with game companies lately, don't they test their products? First, the PS3 version of PES 2008 debacle, now this...

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

NJ5 said:
What's up with game companies lately, don't they test their products? First the PS3 version of PES 2008 debacle, now this...

And what about game reviewers, do any of the Wii GHIII reviews mention this problem?

If not, every person who reviewed this game and didn't even notice that it was mono sound and not stereo / surround sound should be fired. The entire game is music so it's kind of a big deal!

Around the Network

good thing i own the 360 version

sinha said:
The story is also on Kotaku.

Thought this comment was kinda funny. 

Funny how this has been known since release and only now are people up in arms.

It's strange how the other version issues aren't being talked about either.

xbox 360 version has tons of glitches with the achievements. PS3 version has less online then the wii and there are issues with the display lag on even regular tvs. You have to set the display lag to 31ms. Certain stages, characters can cause lag on the xbox 360 and Ps3 versions making you foul up.

PS2 version avoid at all costs.

Since Activision is offically bigger than EA now, I think we should get use to this sort of thing from them. As the new offical giant souless gaming industry leader, it's there job to mess this stuff up. XD

EDIT: I haven't noticed whatever this is myself actually. In fact I thought it was cool on Wi-Fi mode my sister's notes come out of the left speaker and her opponent's come out of the right. So is it simulated stereo through mono, what the hell did they leave out?

Is there any info on problems with the other versions besides some comment on Kotaku?

^ Actually IGN did mention rare framerate hits in thier review.

"The visual work on PS3 and 360 for Guitar Hero 3 is largely comparable, but not entirely impressive on either console. There's even a bit of slowdown that comes infrequently as star power is activated. It's a rare occurrence, but the fact that we saw it at all is inexcusable in a music rhythm game."

Other than that, I don't know. Guess I just have it in for Neversoft ever since Tony Hawk Pro Skater 4. =P

i dont own the game yet but i will pick it up soon and find out if this is true