By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - netflix on ps3 and xbox 360

can someone give a review for netflix on ps3 and how it compares to the xbox version

Around the Network

Netflix on PS3 requires a netflix Bluray to be inserted. However once you are in Netflix there is virtually no difference. There are some minor differences in the way data is displayed on the screen however, I really like the PS3 version better than xbox since it works very similar to x-bar on PS3.

If you have played a DVD on your xbox or PS3 the controls are similar. On PS3 you can press the up button on D-pad and exit out of a movie to go to the netflix menu. Circle takes you to exit the DVD option.

Down on d-pad while navigating the netflix menu takes you to the description of teh movie. If I remember correctly on xbox A takes you to movie description and B takes you back. On PS3 in the movie description right or left button just moves the movies in order. This is very similar to how crossbar works on PS3.

Once I started watching netflix on PS3 I didn't really go back to xbox, i tried a few times and the quality was not much different but since my PS3 is hooked up via HDMI (compared to component for xbox) I just stayed with PS3.

I let my xbox live gold expire this year as I don't play mutilplayer much (esp on xbox) and once netflix was available on PS3 there wasn't any reason for me to keep on doing it.

Like the above, other than the disc there's only minor differences.

On the PS3, the layout is pretty good actually and they fixed it to where movies upscale now. The only drawback to their interface is that when watching a series, it's a pain to navigate through the various episodes.

On the 360, the layout isn't as good as the PS3 but it's still quite good. It doesn't have the above problem when wanting to see what episode of a series you should view and is laid out in a pretty clear manor.

Other than that, they're virtually identical.

Personally, if you have a Gold account I would go with the 360, otherwise, the disc isn't anything that should stop you from using it on the PS3 and the disc alone shouldn't make you get Gold.

nothing except you have to use a disc in the PS3.the disc is free.

after november this year when the Microsoft netflix exclusivity it over,then you won't even need a disc anymore.

kowenicki said:
you mean you have to swap discs....??? thats soooo last gen

OT

the functionality is exactly the same as far as I have seen.

lolll...but in reality there's only 1 Netflix disc right so there's no swapping involved.

Around the Network
V-r0cK said:
kowenicki said:

OT

lolll...but in reality there's only 1 Netflix disc right so there's no swapping involved.

Truthfully, that one disc bothers me more than any game with 2+ discs.

With a 2+ disc game (Mass Effect 2 for example) I can either just install both discs and never worry about it, or swap it once every, what, 10-15 hours?  That's not a big deal to me.  I still have to insert a disc every time I start the game so whatever.

With the PS3 Netflix disc, I'm annoyed I have to insert a every time I want to watch a movie.  That wouldn't be a big deal to me if I didn't already have an alternative where I never had to insert a disc.

So for me, it's the frequency which is annoying (and I do have to swap discs with whatever was in my PS3 before that ).

twesterm said:
V-r0cK said:
kowenicki said:

OT

With a 2+ disc game (Mass Effect 2 for example) I can either just install both discs and never worry about it, or swap it once every, what, 10-15 hours?  That's not a big deal to me.  I still have to insert a disc every time I start the game so whatever.

With the PS3 Netflix disc, I'm annoyed I have to insert a every time I want to watch a movie.  That wouldn't be a big deal to me if I didn't already have an alternative where I never had to insert a disc.

So for me, it's the frequency which is annoying (and I do have to swap discs with whatever was in my PS3 before that ).

Unfortunately PS3 doesnt have the feature to choose to install discs, and yea it does sound kind of frequent when you put it that way. 

However wouldnt it just feel the same as inserting an original DVD/Blu-ray disc movie?  When you want to watch a single movie, you'd insert a single disc.  WHen you want to watch a different movie or play game you'll eject and repeat. 

But at least the netflix disc represents all movies so if you frequently want to watch netflix movies you can just leave that netflix disc in right? Til you decide to game that is.

But to one's own preferences on how they prefer disc swappings.  I never like to leave a disc in my PS3 (incase it YLOD and cant get the disc out) so i feel like i swap enough and it doesnt bother me.  =)

V-r0cK said:
twesterm said:
V-r0cK said:
kowenicki said:

OT

Unfortunately PS3 doesnt have the feature to choose to install discs, and yea it does sound kind of frequent when you put it that way. 

However wouldnt it just feel the same as inserting an original DVD/Blu-ray disc movie?  When you want to watch a single movie, you'd insert a single disc.  WHen you want to watch a different movie or play game you'll eject and repeat. 

But at least the netflix disc represents all movies so if you frequently want to watch netflix movies you can just leave that netflix disc in right? Til you decide to game that is.

But to one's own preferences on how they prefer disc swappings.  I never like to leave a disc in my PS3 (incase it YLOD and cant get the disc out) so i feel like i swap enough and it doesnt bother me.  =)

Yeah, if it's just the PS3 itself it's not a problem since that's what you have, I'm just talking about comparing the two.

Comparing the two, the disc is a pretty big annoyance especially since I know how simple it is not having to put the disc in.

twesterm said:
V-r0cK said:
twesterm said:
V-r0cK said:
kowenicki said:

OT

Yeah, if it's just the PS3 itself it's not a problem since that's what you have, I'm just talking about comparing the two.

Comparing the two, the disc is a pretty big annoyance especially since I know how simple it is not having to put the disc in.

Oh okay then yea definately if I had both i'd get a lil upset at how much easier it is with the 360.

On 4Guys1Up a few weeks back they said the HD encoding/signal was noticeably better on 360 for some reason. I dunno myself since I don't have a PS3, has anyone else played them side by side?