By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - the grammar debate

Does knowing how to spell and use proper grammar on the internet really matter. It really annoys me,that people call me out on this,over the internet. It's not just on this site,it's on any community based site that I use. So what's the big deal and for all you grammar nazi's;how many grammar errors have I made in this very thread!!!!!! lol.

Around the Network

no thers no need for perfect grammar to me this is just a gaming site im not going to go out of my way/time to write perfectly for non serious issues

wen i post im just talking in my head and typing it in the box wen i talk i dont have ,'s and .'s so i dont add them in my posts

i find it hard/time consuming to put my thoughts in words and sentences i just want to get wat i have to say out and move on

Play Me

Lots of grammar errors actually, but your sentence was still structured in such a way that your point came through clearly. I don't understand why punctuation is such a big deal, or capitalizing for that matter, is the extra keystroke going to break your finger? Do you have a pay-per-press keyboard or something? The only time I really have a problem with it is when someone gets all uppity because I didn't understand their poorly worded, spelled and punctuated post. I respond to them and they're like "That's not what I meant, dumbass!", well then make yourself clear the first time!

I won't call out people (unless what they wrote is an unintelligible mess, of course), but the amount of attention I pay to a post is directly proportional to the correctness of the grammar and spelling, so if you want to be noticed and your post be read, I suggest doing the effort

who cares? its the internet...its not like its gonna change the world whether you put a comma after you troll the 360...

Around the Network

If you can convey your point, I'm satisfied. This isn't english class. It's a video game forum.

zexen_lowe said:
I won't call out people (unless what they wrote is an unintelligible mess, of course), but the amount of attention I pay to a post is directly proportional to the correctness of the grammar and spelling, so if you want to be noticed and your post be read, I suggest doing the effort

It doesn't matter if I get noticed are not. I only post on this site an average of once a week.

SciFiBoy said:
who cares? its the internet...its not like its gonna change the world whether you put a comma after you troll the 360...

I always use semi-colons after trolling the 360. . .

It really irks me. Really, really irks me. Though that's likely a result from my job more than anything else.

I don't think us being on the internet excuses poor means of communicating. For instance, reading this sentence: "It really annoys me,that people call me out on this,over the internet" you have two stops that are unnecessary. I can't stand reading things that make me sort through misplaced punctuation and poor grammar just to understand what it is they're trying to convey.

That's not to say that your post was particularly bad, it wasn't, your meaning was clear and it flowed well. But, like zexen said, I'll read the posts that are much more clear first and am likely to skip over those that aren't.

CommonMan said:
SciFiBoy said:

I always use semi-colons after trolling the 360. . .

okay, lol, I just post whatever, I couldnt care less about grammar, this isnt exactly academia here, its a video game forum not a thesis for a masters degree