By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - IGN: The history of Super Mario Bros. - THE video game icon.

Source

This is a 4 page article covering every aspect of the history of Mario. It is a very good read exlporing not only the mario universe, but also the history of Nintendo and Miyamoto.

Unfortunately you will have to click the source to read it, there is no way I can capture the article here. It is just too well written to pull in little pieces.

Mario is the definition of video games and truly the biggest icon on the planet.

Around the Network
IGN Presents The History of Super Mario Bros.
All In a Day's Work

After two systems and ten years of struggling sales, Nintendo's Wii is primed to recapture the American market, and Super Mario Galaxy is meant to seal the deal.

The song blissfully remains the same. Bowser hijacks Peach (and her entire castle) once again, this time stranding Mario in high orbit above the Mushroom Kingdom. From there, he must bounce between planetoids with various laws of gravity to obey and plenty of opposition to overcome.

For something that's hoped to deliver that next quantum leap, it's clearly got an eye on the past. The Mario 64 influences feel strong. MIPS is back, and he's been breeding. Magic mushrooms and fire flowers return, and add super-jumping springs and ice flowers to the mix. Mystery boxes, aimable Mario cannons, airships, goombas... all back. Some power-ups are keyed to the six themes that propel forty galaxies; Mario gets a bee suit for the Honeybee Galaxy, and disguises himself as a handsome ladykiller Boo for a haunted galaxy. This is a game that knows where it's coming from, and what it has to live up to.

Miyamoto's goal was to create a Mario that capitalizes on the Wii's broad casual gamer audience while satisfying core devotees. The answer, it turns out, was no different in 2007 than it was in 1985: consistently good, constantly evolving, always interesting, never overwhelming, tied together in a friendly and whimsical package. Every galaxy presents a different and thrilling challenge that can be tackled instinctively using the Wii's control scheme and a unique brand of Mario physics. A flick of the Wiimote boots enemies, while the pointer scoops up and shoots star bits at enemies, or helps Mario traverse debris fields. The easy relationship of hand motion to on-screen response promises to deliver the first fully tactile Mario experience.

The first, but not the last. Already on tap for 2008 is Super Smash Bros. Brawl, a highly anticipated sequel that pits dozens of Nintendo characters against each other and Solid Snake, a gatecrasher from Konami's Metal Gear series (his creator, Hideo Kojima is a long-avowed Mario fan). Old platform rivals share the marquee after six years of rumors in Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games. New baseball, Dr. Mario and Mario Party games are all lined up, as is Mario Kart Wii. There's no end of Mario in site.

Nor should there be. The way people respond to Mario is a special thing. Vastly different cultures have embraced him as their own. He belongs to the Internet Generation weaned on the DS just as much as to the MTV Generation who stuck with him since vaulting that first barrel. In a cynical world of fully destructible environments and BFGs and blood soaked hack-n-slash, Mario's the eternal optimist. Nothing is insurmountable. It can be done. You can have fun doing it.

Shigeru Miyamoto only ever set out to make simple everyman avatar. Instead, he gave the world the first icon of modern gaming, video or otherwise. Simply put, Mario means Play. That's not likely to ever change.

To Each Man, Responsibility

You skipped all of the N64 paragraphs Sqrl.

Kimi wa ne tashika ni ano toki watashi no soba ni ita

Itsudatte itsudatte itsudatte

Sugu yoko de waratteita

Nakushitemo torimodosu kimi wo

I will never leave you

dtewi said:
You skipped all of the N64 paragraphs Sqrl.

should be fixed

To Each Man, Responsibility

You still standing by your predction.

Hmmm.... I'm nearly pass in you posts.

Sugu yoko de waratteita

I will never leave you

Around the Network

I didn't want to make such a large post, you crazy bastard.

either way, still worth the read.

You hate long posts?

Edited By Montana: BWAHAHAHA!!

Sugu yoko de waratteita

I will never leave you

That put a tear in the ol' eye. I love me some Mario. He is the manifestation of everything videogames are and represent in it's purest form.

You can find me on facebook as Markus Van Rijn, if you friend me just mention you're from VGchartz and who you are here.

@dtewi lol, u so funny. btw. don't quit your day job for a stand up career.

Just waiting for some to edit dtwei's post down to a single line to make it all the more comical.

Anyhow, there were warps in SMB2... Shine sold phenominally well (200 million in revenue for Nintendo) for a video game, just compared to Mario games... well, that's damn hard to beat. Kinda like, how if the PS3 was sold at a profit, 5.8 million in sales is damn fantastic, just the last 2 versions sold 20x that.

Also, that article has drained me of all desire to work (That and it's Friday)... damnit, so many things to do, yet I only want to play Mario!

See Ya George.

"He did not die - He passed Away"

At least following a comedians own jokes makes his death easier.