By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - US retailers don't want mini games anymore.How will the wii be affected?

http://news.vgchartz.com/news.php?id=6501&mp=1

If you see from there. The US retailers are being rumored that they don't want to stock mini game collections.
If its true. Alot of things could happen.I don't know if this is good or not. Though that would
mean more shelf space for games that we want.I suspect shovalware to be reduced dramaticly
and have diffrent kinds of games left. I think it can cause people to buy good games. We'll have
to wait and see. If the rumor is true.

Tag:I'm not bias towards Nintendo. You just think that way (Admin note - it's "biased".  Not "bias")
(killeryoshis note - Who put that there ?)
Switch is 9th generation. Everyone else is playing on last gen systems! UPDATE: This is no longer true

Biggest pikmin fan on VGchartz I won from a voting poll
I am not a nerd. I am enthusiast.  EN-THU-SI-AST!
Do Not Click here or else I will call on the eye of shinning justice on you. 

Around the Network

Publishers will complain. This is a constant.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Although it would never happen, I wonder what would happen in the industry if retailers refused to stock any Wii games that weren’t published by Nintendo because of how low-quality and undesirable most third party efforts are.

About damn time. Publishers will complain but in the end they have no right. These games clearly aren't selling and stores, at least Target and BestBuy, don't want to buy them or try to sell them anymore. I wouldn't be surprised if the higher ups have educated themselves enough to realize that these games are actually shovelware and have learned to spot them themselves. The publishers can complain all they want but they have no valid reason to when companies no longer wish to purchase their garbage.

The retailers can refuse to stock all they want, it doesn't necessarily mean they'll start making higher quality Wii games. If anything, it'll be the perfect excuse to give investors why they need to abandon the Wii and move upmarket.

Around the Network
Innervate said:
The retailers can refuse to stock all they want, it doesn't necessarily mean they'll start making higher quality Wii games. If anything, it'll be the perfect excuse to give investors why they need to abandon the Wii and move upmarket.

And since their
HD shovelware will probably flop even harder, and with bigger budgets, they will go out of business.

I hope you are right!

What is going to happen? Well, Nintendo games sales will increase dramatically and good games like Madworld, Dead Space Extraction, Silent Hill, Muramasa will get a slight boost.

Isn't this what everyone wanted anyways?

We always complain about shovelware selling well and crowding the shelves, but complain when retailers do moves like these. With less shovelware, there will be a greater opportunity for the games we all overhype on the internet (Madworld, No More Heroes 2, etc.) to get some more exposure.

Also, this is really only two retailers, so it doesn't indicate a trend to me (that article has a misleading title). They're not even the biggest videogame sellers. This generation is very peculiar for many reasons. In previous generations, the market leader got lots of shovelware (this is not anything exclusive to the Wii), but developers would also see that it was worth making great games for the market leading console to be a cut above the rest of the other third parties (Grand Theft Auto III on the Playstation 2 is a perfect example of this). Unfortunately, the Wii is still seen as a great way to sell the industry's shovelware, and most of the talented developers and studios work primarily on the HD consoles. I don't see this changing for the rest of the generation, and I only hope that the next Nintendo console will be like the SNES and get developers on Nintendo's side.

retailers aren't gonna reject them unless they stop selling, they don't care what sells as long as it sells. Mini game collections have gotten out of control, there are just far too many of them. This is what has happened to the wii, everyone is just copying Nintendo not learning from them.

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X