By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS3 Update 2.00 is released tomorrow Nov. 8!!!!

Version 2.0 features the ability to turn your PS3 on and off remotely, using a PSP and also adds the option to create custom playlists for both pictures and sound files, as well as a funky new 'air paint' theme.

Missing from the update is the highly anticipated in-game XMB access and the ability to play your custom playlist while enjoying a quick thrash around the tracks of Motorstom or enjoying a kick about in PES 2008. But we're sure those features aren't too far away in a future update.

Take a look at the entire Sony press release below.

Version 2.00 features the ability to turn a PS3 system on and off remotely, using a PSP(PlayStation Portable) system via the Remote Play(1) function, allowing for a truly mobile partnership between the two systems.

Building on the success and potential of the Remote Play functionality, Version 2.00 will cement the partnership between PS3 and PSP and create a truly global experience. With the ability to turn your PS3 on and off from Wi-fi connection, there is now the opportunity to listen to the music, look at the photos and watch the videos saved on the PS3 Hard Disk Drive, anywhere in the world.  

To further enhance the PS3 offering, Version 2.00 allows for the creation of personalised playlists in both the music and photo sections. This simple to use function gives users an opportunity to create unlimited music playlists for all occasions, as well as sharing favourite photos in glorious high definition.

Continuing with the idea of a personalised PS3, Version 2.00 allows for customisation of the XMB (XrossMediaBar) menu screen.  Change the colour and brightness with the greatest of ease or have something completely different by setting a custom theme.  With the potential for new backgrounds to become available on PLAYSTATION Network in the future, Version 2.00 truly opens up a whole raft of options.

A host of other enhancements includes the addition of an Information Board on XMB to keep people up to date on the latest PlayStation news, the inclusion of a new PLAYSTATION Network category and logo for easier navigation and Trend Micro Web Security, a free(2), state of the art internet security system, designed to give parents peace of mind.

http://gamesradar.com/gb/ps3/game/news/article.jsp?articleId=20071107152123607099&

Around the Network

Sounds good to me. I wonder what the new icon does.

It sounds to me like we'll never actually get in-game XMB. We'll just see the various elements of the XMB that people want to access while in-game added to the menu that pops up when you hit the Home button. According to a recent GAP poll on the PS Underground, custom music and in-game messaging will probably be added soon.

Honestly, why would people want full access to the XMB in-game? It's not in-game XMB they really want, it's the ability to access specific features of the XMB in-game. What need would someone have to play a video while playing Uncharted? They wouldn't. However, messaging and music are what people want, and Sony's working on it.

What's interesting is that I rented Lair to use the PSP remote play feature (which was freaking cool, btw, despite the fact it was only Lair, which does look good at least), but I noticed they had an in-game XMB feature! Why is Factor 5 so far ahead in both of those fields?

If they had only tightened the controls up (the problem is not the fact they used Sixaxis, although I agree they needed to include analog for those whiners...play Warhawk and you can see what can be done with sixaxis flight), it really could have been a landmark game.

I do look forward to using the PSP remote play more. That really is a terrific feature. I was pleased to find out (through playing Lair) that you can adjust the settings to respond slower but output better visual quality or respond fast at the cost of visual quality, just like video settings in a PC game. I could not really see a hit in visuals but upping the response time was helpful. But with the new PSP's video-out function, you can easily travel anywhere and play any music, videos, and photos on a huge TV, too. That's pretty cool.

how do we know this is coming out tomorrow? - as your title suggests

̶3̶R̶D̶   2ND! Place has never been so sweet.

I am updating to 2.0 right now.

Around the Network

its OUT!!

Supporter of

SONY & Nintendo

Consoles owned - SNES, N64, PS, GC, PS2, PSP, PS3

I DO NOT support Xbox

My prediction for YEARS END:

WII - 18.3 Million

Xbox 360 - 15 Million

Playstation 3 - 8.5 Million