By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Do game reviews have an impact on video game sales?

I know it can be agreeable and disagreeable sometimes

A game that scored low could be bought by: fans of the genre, or casual gamers who just wanted to pick up a game

A good scoring game could be bought: well because of the score and word of mouth

IDK.....do game reviews have a somewhat impact or does it not?

Around the Network

Reviews do have an effect on game sales.

How many times have you read a review topic on VG Chartz where someone says "Okay, this game just went from a possible buy to a definite/must buy for me!"  I've read quite a few of those statements.

There are definitely a number of fence-sitters out there that look at reviews to be the deciding factor.

Words Of Wisdom said:
Reviews do have an effect on game sales.

How many times have you read a review topic on VG Chartz where someone says "Okay, this game just went from a possible buy to a definite/must buy for me!" I've read quite a few of those statements.

There are definitely a number of fence-sitters out there that look at reviews to be the deciding factor.

Exactly, I was on the fence about Lair until the reviews said it was utter crap.

Gamertag: KillswitchTris PSN ID: KsET665 Wii Friend Code: 8415 6393 6330 0940 (PM me if you add me)
Feel Free To Add Me Tag: LISMDK - Extremely bad taste in music

See thats the point I believe if people like us stay on the computer and listen to reviewers about the games, then the sales suffer due to someone else saying the game sucks.

I think in general it doesn't have all that much of an effect on sales. Look at Mario Party 8...

I am a Gauntlet Adventurer.

I strive to improve my living conditions by hoarding gold, food, and sometimes keys and potions. I love adventure, fighting, and particularly winning - especially when there's a prize at stake. I occasionally get lost inside buildings and can't find the exit. I need food badly. What Video Game Character Are You?

Mega Man 9 Challenges: 74%

Waltz Tango Jitterbug Bust a move Headbanging
Bunny Hop Mr. Trigger Happy Double Trouble Mr. Perfect Invincible
Almost Invincible No Coffee Break Air Shoes Mega Diet Encore
Peacekeeper Conservationist Farewell To Arms Gamer's Day Daily Dose
Whomp Wiley! Truly Addicted! Truly Hardcore! Conqueror Vanquisher
Destroyer World Warrior Trusty Sidearm Pack Rat Valued Customer
Shop A Holic Last Man Standing Survivor Hard Rock Heavy Metal
Speed Metal Fantastic 9 Fully Unloaded Blue Bomber Eco Fighter
Marathon Fight Quick Draw G Quick Draw C Quick Draw S Quick Draw H
Quick Draw J Quick Draw P Quick Draw T Quick Draw M Quick Draw X
Around the Network

@CrashMan

That was a casual game for casual gamers, I'm talking about the hardcore games.

W29 said:
See thats the point I believe if people like us stay on the computer and listen to reviewers about the games, then the sales suffer due to someone else saying the game sucks.

Sometimes, the game really sucks, or is not good enough or long enough to justify a purchase... so, thanks reviewers...

By me:

Made with Blender + LuxRender
"Since you can´t understand ... there is no point to taking you seriously."

Reviews absolutley affect sales, look at Bioshock and Lair, huge hype around both, and then look at the resulting sales due to reviews.

Though sometimes reviews have no impact, like Metroid Prime 3 is an absolutley fantastic game, and its sold ALRIGHT for now...........

Hopefully will pick up for christmas...

Xbox Live Gamertag - Deathscythe X

AIM SN - Alexie Di Onie

@Alexie

Go play Halo 3!!!!! :P just joking

On Topic: I do believe though that reviews have impact.

I can't *sniff* gotta finish my economic research paper........

Xbox Live Gamertag - Deathscythe X

AIM SN - Alexie Di Onie