By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sales of 40GB PS3...

For those of you who are saying that the 40GB PS3 had no effect on sales, look toward the fact that the sales chart was for the week ending on November 3, 2007, and the 40 gig released on November 2, 2007.  You're judging one day of sales when generally, new releases happen on tuesdays.  So wait until next week before we confirm or deny that the 40 GB PS3 has bombed...

Around the Network
DMeisterJ said:

So wait until next week before we confirm or deny that the 40 GB PS3 has bombed...

Okay.

u are kinda asking for it, so here it goes : 40 GB PS3 has bombed...

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

2-3 of November is 2 days of sales, not 1.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

@Kirby007

I never said that it had or hadn't bombed. It may bomb, it may not, but I'd like to see what the sales are next week to see what effect the forty gig has had... Don't troll please. Thx.

Around the Network

@ NJ5

Sorry, I didn't know that they counted saturday, I thought they ended friday and they started putting it together on saturday... My mistake. Still, games come out on tuesdays so they have five days while this only have 3, I could be wrong but I'd like to reserve judgement on whether or not it had an effect until next week.

This is the same rationalization that was used to explain first week sales of Ratchet and Clank, right?

We don't provide the 'easy to program for' console that they [developers] want, because 'easy to program for' means that anybody will be able to take advantage of pretty much what the hardware can do, so the question is what do you do for the rest of the nine and half years? It's a learning process. - SCEI president Kaz Hirai

It's a virus where you buy it and you play it with your friends and they're like, "Oh my God that's so cool, I'm gonna go buy it." So you stop playing it after two months, but they buy it and they stop playing it after two months but they've showed it to someone else who then go out and buy it and so on. Everyone I know bought one and nobody turns it on. - Epic Games president Mike Capps

We have a real culture of thrift. The goal that I had in bringing a lot of the packaged goods folks into Activision about 10 years ago was to take all the fun out of making video games. - Activision CEO Bobby Kotick

sinha said:
This is the same rationalization that was used to explain first week sales of Ratchet and Clank, right?

... or SMG  

The videogame market (generally speaking) is a market with front loaded sales ...

After the release of most major games, when a system is released, or when a system has a price reduction there is (typically) a decent number of people who rush out to get the product as early as possible. Now some games, usually first party (in particular Nintendo games), can stay on the charts for years and rack up huge sales over time but this isn't common.

With the PS3's sales only being up slightly after 2 days with the $400 40GB model on the market is not a good sign. This (essentially) means that people do not see it as being a noticeably better deal than the existing PS3 systems and are thus not rushing out to buy it.

You're right... about software. This doesn't really apply to hardware at all. Just look at the sales of the PSP after the initial price drop in March or April. They didn't shoot up drastically and fall down just as quickly. Instead you saw a sustained increase of weekly sales compared to the sales before the price drop. Even now with the redesigned system, sales didn't shoot through the roof, but have been consistently higher than previously weekly numbers. If anything PSP sales continue to grow long after the initial release of the redesign.

The 40gb was out for only 2 days, the ad blitz is barely a week old, and the Christmas season hasn't even ramped up yet. Sony still has one more major game release, Uncharted. Wait it out before you call the 40gb a failure.

My Top 5:

Shadow of the Colossus, Metal Gear Solid 3, Shenmue, Skies of Arcadia, Chrono Trigger

My 2 nex-gen systems: PS3 and Wii

Prediction Aug '08: We see the PSP2 released fall '09. Graphically, it's basically the same as the current system. UMD drive ditched and replaced by 4-8gb on board flash memory. Other upgrades: 2nd analog nub, touchscreen, blutooth, motion sensor. Design: Flip-style or slider. Size: Think Iphone. Cost: $199. Will be profitable on day 1.