By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Halo 3's online is just as bad as Wii's Friend Codes

I have never been this disillusioned with a game before. I have bought a 360 for Halo 3, because I thought it would be the best online mulitplayer game around. Why? Well, everyone seems to think so.

Now, I play a shitload of games on my 360, and I love it, so no worries there, but today I finally really started playing some Halo 3 online, and did a remarkable discovery:

Halo 3's online is just as bad as Wii's Friend Codes, if not worse. Don't start foaming at the mouth right away and think about it.

Take for example The Conduit, touted as the Wii's Halo. Want to pick which map to play on? With The Conduit, you can. With Halo, you'll have to play with friends to do so. Want to choose which weapon sets to play with? With The Conduit, you can. With Halo, you'll have to play with friends to do so. With Halo 3, you can download custom maps, but not play them unless you're playing with the author of the map!

Now, I realize Halo has splitscreen online, many more maps and game modes, less lag, etc. Halo 3 is clearly the superior game. But that's not my point.

My point is, Halo 3 is packed with features, but to enjoy most of them, you'll need to play with friends. Play with random people and you're only experiencing a small part of the game. This philosophy is absolutely ridiculous, and I'm shocked I've never heard anything about this.

There isn't that much difference between Halo 3 and Friend Codes, but people keep praising Halo 3's multiplayer and slamming Friend Codes.

Halo fans, what do you have to say to this? Oh, and can we leave any knee-jerk fanboy reactions out of this discussion, PLEASE.

Around the Network
Chrizum said:

I have never been this disillusioned with a game before. I have bought a 360 for Halo 3, because I thought it would be the best online mulitplayer game around. Why? Well, everyone seems to think so.

Now, I play a shitload of games on my 360, and I love it, so no worries there, but today I finally really started playing some Halo 3 online, and did a remarkable discovery:

Halo 3's online is just as bad as Wii's Friend Codes, if not worse. Don't start foaming at the mouth right away and think about it.

Take for example The Conduit, touted as the Wii's Halo. Want to pick which map to play on? With The Conduit, you can. With Halo, you'll have to play with friends to do so. Want to choose which weapon sets to play with? With The Conduit, you can. With Halo, you'll have to play with friends to do so. With Halo 3, you can download custom maps, but not play them unless you're playing with the author of the map!

Now, I realize Halo has splitscreen online, many more maps and game modes, less lag, etc. Halo 3 is clearly the superior game. But that's not my point.

My point is, Halo 3 is packed with features, but to enjoy most of them, you'll need to play with friends. Play with random people and you're only experiencing a small part of the game. This philosophy is absolutely ridiculous, and I'm shocked I've never heard anything about this.

There isn't that much difference between Halo 3 and Friend Codes, but people keep praising Halo 3's multiplayer and slamming Friend Codes.

Halo fans, what do you have to say to this? Oh, and can we leave any knee-jerk fanboy reactions out of this discussion, PLEASE.

1. Its called matchmaking for a reason. The halo matchmaking system takes rank, skill and record in to consideration when looking for people to play with. You can't choose a map to play on in matchmaking as 1 map doesn't represent your skill level hence matchmaking fails completely. There are clans who would all become level 50 generals if they could choose Snowbound and camp with shotgun/mauler over and over...

2. You don't have to play with the author of the map to play a custom map. I play my friends maps all the time with other freinds.

Those are your only two arguments and I believe I've explained both...