By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Wii Owner Contemplating getting a DS (hear me out).

I was really excited to get a Wii beginning of this year but after the inital happiness, the hype has gone down for me. The only game for it that I want this year is Super Mario galaxy. I am becoming more of a casual gamer and will be going to law school next year and moving away. I doubt I will take my Wii with me since my parents love it so much, so should I get a DS and start getting used to portables now that I will be moving away and all??

Around the Network

DS is a great system to have with an astoundingly huge variety of games. Not a bad choice to stick with and have fun with portable games (look at Japan).

Xbox Live Gamertag - Deathscythe X

AIM SN - Alexie Di Onie

It all depends upon what sort of games you like. I've been pretty disappointed with my DS, outside of a few specific titles like Advance Wars and the Castlevania games. The content on the DS is largely geared toward the casual crowd, with the best games being puzzlers, adventure games, or "oddball" games like Animal Crossing.

"'Casual games' are something the 'Game Industry' invented to explain away the Wii success instead of actually listening or looking at what Nintendo did. There is no 'casual strategy' from Nintendo. 'Accessible strategy', yes, but ‘casual gamers’ is just the 'Game Industry''s polite way of saying what they feel: 'retarded gamers'."

-Sean Malstrom

There are quite a selection on the DS if you are willing to dig into the obscure and less-known games that are still good to better, though far more niched in their target audience.

Edit: Basically, List what games you like and we'll come with some recommendations and what not. 

I am a PC gamer, and also have a NDS now, but without access to a Nintendo Wii until End of 2007.

Currently playing: Super Smash Brothers Brawl(Wii), Mystery Dungeon: Shiren the Wanderer(DS), Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime (DS), WiiFit(Wii)

Games Recently Beaten: Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: My Life as a King (Normal; Very Hard after the next DLCs become available)

1 word: RTFA

I have both and definitely prefer the DS to the Wii this year, but the DS has been out longer and has had lots of games coming out for it, Wii might catch up next year.

Around the Network

DS is the best system out right now. Buy it. There are dozens of great games spanning all genres.

Getting an XBOX One for me is like being in a bad relationship but staying together because we have kids. XBone we have 20000+ achievement points, 2+ years of XBL Gold and 20000+ MS points. I think its best we stay together if only for the MS points.

Nintendo Treehouse is what happens when a publisher is confident and proud of its games and doesn't need to show CGI lies for five minutes.

-Jim Sterling

Well, 3rd party support has just started to catch up the DS's success. If you're not a big fan of Nintendo's franchises such as Mario, Yoshi, Donkey Kong, etc., then the DS probably isn't for you.