By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
LordTheNightKnight said:
UnstableGriffin said:
SaviorX said:
Mr Khan said:

Damn. He is having an absolute field day with Kinect.

Can't say that i blame him, really. Microsoft approached that entire convention the wrong way.

Exactly

... Though, he wasn't complaining about Nintendo's press conference in 2008, atleast as far as I remember.

Equality, eh?

You don't remember. He was harping on Wii Music as the wrong direction. So stop calling hypocracy when you haven't even done your research.

That's why I said "As far as I remember", meaning that I don't remember the specifics.

Relax.

He attacked everything in life with a mix of extraordinary genius and naive incompetence, and it was often difficult to tell which was which.

- Douglas Adams

Around the Network
UnstableGriffin said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
UnstableGriffin said:
SaviorX said:
Mr Khan said:

Can't say that i blame him, really. Microsoft approached that entire convention the wrong way.

Exactly

... Though, he wasn't complaining about Nintendo's press conference in 2008, atleast as far as I remember.

Equality, eh?

You don't remember. He was harping on Wii Music as the wrong direction. So stop calling hypocracy when you haven't even done your research.

That's why I said "As far as I remember", meaning that I don't remember the specifics.

Relax.

Talk about getting caught with your pants down...

Leatherhat on July 6th, 2012 3pm. Vita sales:"3 mil for COD 2 mil for AC. Maybe more. "  thehusbo on July 6th, 2012 5pm. Vita sales:"5 mil for COD 2.2 mil for AC."

UnstableGriffin said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
UnstableGriffin said:
SaviorX said:
Mr Khan said:

Exactly

Equality, eh?

Relax.

Except you also assumed he hates Microsoft and Sony no matter what, when he's made it clear there are reasons.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

The vintage 'Nintendo is doomed' vid is pure win. The more things change the more they stay the same.

Nov 2016 - NES outsells PS1 (JP)

Don't Play Stationary 4 ever. Switch!

I don't have the patience to wait until next page. I'll start to put the articles now, I pray to God it works.

Hello

I saw you complain about the amount of e-mail you received and though
I would add to your woes.

I notice you bring up people who have proven successful at creating
content that is enjoyed by millions. In your most recent set of posts,
you brought up Tom Clancy. I was basically wanting to point out
someone who might well be the ‘King’ of creating works that are
reflective of society, nature, and the zeitgeist while, most
importantly, still remaining entertaining.

I think that examining Stephen King and his work ethic reveals
something about the place where many of the ‘creative’ types lose
their footing – the moment of inspiration. Stephen King is -very-
willing to talk about his inspiration for stories. Pet Semetary, for
example: he had the idea when a truck killed his daughter’s cat and he
had to go bury it. The story? A truck kills a man’s son’s cat and he
has to go bury it, but his friend tells him of an Indian burial ground
that is so cursed that any animal buried there comes back from the
dead, and advises him to secretly bury the cat there before his son
knows. The story goes on to be more frightening, obviously, but the
whole core of the idea he claimed popped into his head between one
side of the street and the other as he crossed it with his daughter’s
dead cat.

Upon driving through a seemingly deserted town on a book tour, he
thought that the empty streets seemed terrifying, as though they were
hiding some dark secret. Maybe everyone in town was dead! He began
writing a story about just such an empty town, called ‘Desperation.’
(Both the town and the book). He didn’t think ‘Let me make up
something creative and creepy, using my superior powers of
awesomeness!’ He -recognized- the natural fear that this common
situation (quiet, empty desert town) made him feel, knew that others
would share the feeling, and set about trying to capture it in a form
that could be shared with others. Because of this, I can shudder in my
chair as I read at the thought of the empty town without having to see
it.

This is different from thinking ‘I bet I can think up the scariest
thing! Scariest thing ever! How about a…. box-like thing that’s
PURPLE, yeah that’s it PURPLE, cuz that’s weird! Yeah, I’m creative!’
This creature would then be in a Final Fantasy game or something, and
fail to frighten me.

He also points out that some of his best received books were not ones
that came naturally to him. About his first published book, “Carrie,”
he says he didn’t even like the main characters, didn’t identify with
them, and found it hard to write about things he didn’t know much
about (girl’s locker room, for example). Still, that book (his fifth,
though first to be accepted for publication) rocketed him to the fame
he has enjoyed for almost forty years. Miyamoto should think about
that the next time he is choosing between ‘having a blast’ making
Super Mario Galaxy 2393 and ‘putting his nose to the grindstone’ and
making SMB6.

I didn’t mention Stephen King since I am not as familiar with him.

When we hear stories of ‘Miyamoto as boy exploring a cave’, the journalists or whatever are writing it as a manner as if this is coming from Miyamoto instead of Miyamoto recognizing it is coming from Human Nature. When Miyamoto began weighing himself, he tapped into something of Human Nature of wanting to get into more fit. And this is why Wii Fit sells. There is no ‘creativity’ in it as traditionally defined.

I do use this example of Stephen King to explain what a wife really is. When King wrote Carrie, he wasn’t famous and had no money. He didn’t think the book was that good so he threw it into the trash. His wife picked it out and sent it to the publisher (where it got accepted and became a big hit). That is a wife.

Seriously guys? You are on the road to becoming laughingstocks. I read that, and I wept for the future of Mankind.

Note how the ‘outrage’ correlates to player frustration. There was no ‘outrage’ until Patch 13 (Patch 13 was Blizzard doing too much in one patch causing disconnections and lag across all games) and now with the beta unavailable, players unable to get their Starcraft 2 fix are again frustrated. And since they have so much time on their hands now that they aren’t playing Starcraft 2 games, they get to write ‘essays’ on ‘message forums’. God help us!

I always see a younger, much foolishly arrogant, version of myself in these hardcore. For all you people speaking of the ‘wonders’ of BNET 1.0, have you stopped to consider how BNET 1.0 was initially received? BNET 0.0 was called Kali, and it was a million times better than Bnet 1.0. Bnet 1.0 was so absurd that by adding ‘wins’ and ‘losses’ to every profile, strange results were occurring with players such as 7 Human players ganging up against a poor easy CPU just to get their ‘win’ counter up (in a way, a precursor to WoW). Bnet 1.0, when loading a new screen, did not even have a cancel button. So if it didn’t load, you were screwed! Bnet 1.0 was not well received at the time. I expect fifteen years from now, the young generation will be complaining about Bnet 3.0 that heralds in Starcraft 3 and how “it isn’t as good as Bnet 2.0″.

Dear Malstrom,

After reading through your articles and looking at the market’s reaction to the Wii over the past few years I’ve realized, that the best years of the Wii are still to come.  (Perhaps this is all obvious to you, but it seems like a revelation to me.)  Looking at things from the perspective of the expanded market, I believe the Wii will parallel the success of the Atari and the NES put together, and the life span of it will be about 3-4 years longer than the NES.  Specifically I think the lifespan of the Wii will look like this.

Stage 1: Microcosm of Atari years (late 2006 through most of 2009)

Stage 2: Parallel of early NES years (late 2009 – 2011 or 2012)

Stage 3: Parallel of late NES years (2011/2012 - ??)

I know in your articles that you compare the Wii to both the NES and the Atari, but if you look at the games that really propelled the Wii early on, they resemble early Atari games more than early NES games.  Wii tennis is definitely like Pong, and bowling and tanks both resemble early Atari games.  Also the Atari had a lot of crappy software put out by third party companies, much like the Wii did.  Lastly the market for Atari games collapsed in 1983, and the Wii had a (lessened) parallel of this during it’s dry spell of late 2008 through most of 2009.

In 1985 console gaming was revived by the NES and specificially Super Mario Bros.  In late 2009 the Wii console was revived by New Super Mario Bros. Wii.  In 1986 the NES got another jolt to its momentum from The Legend of Zelda.  Right now it looks like the Wii is going to have a Zelda game released in late 2010.  More imporantly this Zelda game will have motion plus which means it will have expanded market values.  It is primed to parallel the success of the original Zelda.  Nintendo can keep its momentum going with expanded market sequels to Mario and Zelda much like the NES years.

The late NES years had a lot of great third party software, but I don’t think we’ll see this phase on the Wii until late 2011 or 2012.  The need to see Move and Natal fail, before they realize that the Wii is the viable place to make quality console games.  By 2012 I think there will be several third party developers that will give Wii a serious try.  From 2012 on the Wii will see its best years as several third party developers put out some quality innovative games for the Wii.

What do you think?

I don’t think the future of Wii will resemble the past.

The 7th Generation began with Nintendo giving a prophecy: gaming will collapse unless it is expanded. Everyone laughed at this prophecy. The Old School Gamers have been saying this for quite some time due to the deterioration of quality games.

The gaming market has certainly not collapsed in markets like North America yet. The Wii performed extremely strongly. There was enough strength in the market to somewhat support $600-$400 game consoles. People looked at the strength of the DS and Wii and wrote it off as ‘casual gamers’.

But everyone has forgotten about the prophecy. Even Nintendo has forgotten about it. It takes games around two years to fully gestate and hatch from their eggs. After the success of the Wii became clear, Nintendo developers were greenlighted to work on their own pet projects such as a sequel to Super Mario Galaxy or Metroid: Other M or the radical experiment of Wii Music. If market conditions were different, these games would most certainly not have been made. They were being made because Nintendo felt comfortable.

The Nintendo prophecy is going to come true and the ugly reality will devour the markets like a sea monster devouring a boat. The bottom is going to fall out. You have already gotten a taste of it in the last NPD. But it is going to get much, much worse.

Longtime readers will note how I said back in 2007 about the upcoming depression. I even went so far to say that I was looking to get out of the country by 2012. (But where would I go? I cannot think of a more economically stable area than where I am currently located.) People thought the Lehman Brothers collapse was what I was referring to as the upcoming depression. To the contrary, that will be remembered as the ‘good times’.

Taxes are going up in 2011 and corporate profits are trying to jam in as much as they can in 2010. 2011 will be a very different story. The economic conditions will suffer much, much more. There will be less games made in the following years.

What I refer to as a ‘depression’ will be your realization that you will live economically worse off than your parents. The ‘depression’ will be older people realizing that their life savings have gone up in smoke and that they will never be able to retire. They will have to work until the day they die.

I’ve been attacking how Nintendo is making ‘sequel to 3d Mario’ to ‘maternal instincts’ Metroid and other ‘pet projects’ not so much because I have something against those pet projects but because time is running out. Nintendo should be exploring new content possibilities and new forms of games NOW when the macro conditions are good. But they wasted the prime years of the Wii on self-indulgence. The market conditions are going to get much, much worse than they are today. The focus of Nintendo will shift from ‘expanding’ to merely ‘looking to survive’. We are going to lose many, many game companies.

Let me put it this way. If the Wii came out in 2010 instead of 2006, it would not have sold out but would have sold ‘well’. Before, Nintendo bringing their A game resulted in social phenomena and extreme excitement. Now, Nintendo bringing their A game results in merely ‘good sales’. A year or two from now, when Nintendo brings their A game, they may even have mediocre sales. This is because the macro conditions will be so slanted uphill.

What if the Euro is destroyed? It is not improbable. You can kiss an entire main continent goodbye. Nintendo’s best performing market, North America, is going to be hard hit in the upcoming years due to skyrocketing taxes and lack of investing.  Japan is already in decline. I expect the decline to strengthen.

As history has shown, periods of economic decline breed wars. Think of the economically devastated Germany before Hitler came to seen. Look at the unrest of Greece today with the fire bombings and mass riots. Violence is going to increase within the next few years, not decrease. It is not inconceivable that North Korea and South Korea could go to war (right on the eve of Starcraft 2 being released).

I think Nintendo, Microsoft, and Sony will be fighting to survive in the upcoming years, not fighting a ‘console war’.

The Eighth Generation of Video Games will be a generation of austerity and decline. Despite how good Nintendo’s expansion methods are, they will be fighting a mad current of water against them. These expansionary moves will cancel out the current so Nintendo, at best, will be sitting at ‘status quo’. Microsoft and Sony, who are trapped in their shrinking box, may be swept away by the current like a large animal swept off its feet by the flash flood.

Around 2014 or after, the economy will truly rebound. Nintendo and the surviving game companies will be very different then. They will incorporate their expansionary tactics as part of the company DNA. Much of the bad habits of the past, of the habit of making games as part of self-indulgence, will be a thing of the past (because no game company will be able to afford them during the Eighth Generation). It is because of this that when the Ninth Generation rolls around, gaming, as a medium, could explode into popularity as the economy rebounds. Hollywood and other mediums may not survive or be very crippled. Gaming could become poised to be the dominant entertainment medium at that point.

Decline. Decline. Decline. That is the future of gaming in the near future. Blue Ocean expansion will no longer mean ‘market domination’ and ‘sold out systems’; it will mean ‘head above water’ because the economic currents below are going to suck in most of the market.

Hi Sean,
I think Super Mario 64 isn’t the 3D version of Super Mario Bros, it’s the 3D version of Donkey Kong ’94, the Game Boy game.
DK’94 is very far from the arcade roots of the original Donkey Kong. It goes heavy on the puzzle elements, just like Mario 64. Instead of defeating enemies by jumping on them you throw things at them, similar to Mario 2 (USA). Instead of reaching a flagpole you try to get a key to a door. Mario doesn’t just have a regular jump, he also has the backflip and handstand jump (which can be used as a triple jump for extra height, just like in Mario 64). There are no permanent powerups, only the hammers which time out after a while. While the regular hammers are really just bonuses the super hammers are puzzle-solving tools like the powerups in Mario 64 and when they are part of the solution they are necessary. Mario is also vulnerable to falling damage, something he is in the 3D games but not the Super Mario Bros games. Bosses are defeated by throwing their projectiles back at them. Also there are no warp zones or other ways to skip ahead.

There is an important difference though. Nintendo knew enough to stop making Donkey Kong ’94 after Donkey Kong Country sales totally smashed it. But with Faux Mario, Nintendo is defiant that the mass market is choosing 2d Mario and keeps skipping out on Faux Mario. Nintendo will keep making Faux Mario games after Faux Mario games in a desperate attempt to make them sell like 2d Mario.

NEWSCASTER: “And the Governor of Nebraska has apologized for his state being so flat. Meanwhile, in other news…”

NEWSCASTER: “Breaking news! A madman has reportedly broken into the secured offices of a video game company called ‘Retro Studios’ in Austin, Texas. Preliminary reports indicate the madman stole something of great value… Am I reading this correctly? ‘Atomic Fireballs’? Let us join Reporter Dork Boy as he interviews one of the Retro Studios employees…”

DORK BOY REPORTER: “Please… tell us what the vandal has done…”

RETRO EMPLOYEE: (sobbing and blubbering) “He… that villain… that demi-devil… he broke into our studio and stole ALL of our Atomic Fireballs!” (Retro Employee breaks off interview completely devastated and broken.)

DORK BOY REPORTER: “And… that sums up the interview. Back to you.”

NEWSCASTER: “We just got a report saying the police spotted the vandal of Retro Studios driving an old pick-up truck racing into Galveston. Let us switch to our reporter on the scene, the Ghost of Marvin Zindler.

GHOST-OF-MARVIN-ZINDLER: “Hiya folks. I haven’t seen a more amazing story since the Chickenranch. The police have identified the madman who stole the Atomic Fireballs from Retro Studios as someone named ‘Sean Malstrom’. Apparently, he has a blog where he rants and raves about the glory of ‘Old School Gaming’ and talks about the wonders of 2d Mario. He has taken all the Atomic Fireballs to Galveston where he currently is with them at the end of a very long pier. I was able to get a few words with him.”

GHOST-OF-MARVIN-ZINDLER: “Why are you doing this? Why did you steal all of Retro Studios’ Atomic Fireballs?”

SEAN MALSTROM: “We must save Metroid! The Atomic Fireballs are my hostages. I plan to dunk them into the gulf unless Nintendo gives in to my demands.”

GHOST-OF-MARVIN-ZINDLER: “And what are these demands?”

SEAN MALSTROM: “When Metroid: Other M comes out, an entire generation is going to believe that Metroid is about ‘maternal instincts’ and bad story. The generations that grow up with this type of Metroid will see Metroid as completely different as opposed to Metroid on the NES, Gameboy, and SNES. To save Metroid, let us have Retro Studios make a 2d version of Metroid. Think of it as Super Metroid on steroids. It would be Metroid without the creepy Sakamoto narratives.”

GHOST-OF-MARVIN-ZINDLER: “But why break in and steal Retro Studios’ atomic fireballs?”

SEAN MALSTROM: “Ask Iwata, and you will see!”

(Breaking from the filmed footage back to talking live.)

GHOST-OF-MARVIN-ZINDLER: “So that is what I did. We contacted Kyoto, Japan and got Nintendo President Satoru Iwata to talk to us.”

IWATA: “This madman must be stopped! We must get back our atomic fireballs.”

GHOST-OF-MARVIN-ZINDLER: “What is so important about the atomic fireballs?”

IWATA: “Without the atomic fireballs, Retro Studios cannot function. And if Retro Studios cannot function, then Nintendo stock and value will plunge. And if Nintendo plunges, it will tip the entire nation of Japan into economic disarray. Should this occur to Japan, it would be the first domino that would result in the collapse of every national economy in the world! These atomic fireballs are all to stand between us and the collapse of civilization. We *must* get them back!”

(Turning to the viewer…)

GHOST-OF-MARVIN-ZINDLER: “The President of Nintendo was serious. Calls were made and SWAT teams and the military were deployed around Sean Malstrom’s position.”

(…through a bullhorn…)

MILITARY: “Hand over the atomic fireballs!”

SEAN MALSTROM: “Never! Save Metroid! Or I will drop the atomic fireballs into the water!”

IWATA: “It is time to bring out the big guns.”

(A plane flies overhead dropping off a paratrooper. The paratrooper unmasks himself.)

SEAN MALSTROM: “It’s you!”

MIYAMOTO: “Remember me?”

SEAN MALSTROM: “Help me, Miyamoto-san! We must save Metroid! We cannot have a generation of gamers think Metroid is nothing but ‘maternal instincts’!”

MIYAMOTO: “I brought with me a beta version of Super Mario Brothers 6. If you hand over the atomic fireballs, it is yours.”

SEAN MALSTROM: “I cannot resist!”

(…hands over the atomic fireballs. He begins playing Super Mario Brothers 6.)

SEAN MALSTROM: “Hey! This isn’t Mario 6! This is just more 3d Mario! I got tricked!”

MIYAMOTO: (laughs)

IWATA: (laughs)

(Camera turns to the reporter.)

GHOST-OF-MARVIN-ZINDLER: “And so there you have it, everyone. With the atomic fireballs having a police escort back to Austin, Retro Studios is now restored. Nintendo will not collapse meaning Japan will not collapse meaning the first domino will not fall meaning civilization has been saved. The only thing that can make this story better is if there was some slime in the ice machine. So I want to wish a good weekend to everyone, to have a good tennis, a good golf, or whatever makes you happy. Maaaaaaaaaaaaaaarving Zindler, Eyewitness News!”

Email: Gaming in other mediums (This was the troublemaker, I can't post its text)

(This is kgiax (kgiax@tds.net) from the forums by the way, I just have a new email address).
Sup Malstrom.
With E3 rolling around once again, I’m sure you’re preparing for yet another flood of emails. Well, I was thinking perhaps you could either remind your readers about our forum again (http://z3.invisionfree.com/Malstroms_Comments/index.php), or maybe just stick the link somewhere permanent on your blog, or whatever. Yeah, I know, I’m shamelessly asking for an advert here, but only because it benefits both of us. Considering your stance on forums and such, I certainly wouldn’t blame you if you didn’t want to, but I figured it wouldn’t hurt to ask. In any case, good luck having your hands full during E3, I’m certainly worried about it myself. Thanks for the time and consideration either way, no matter what you decide.
And as always, thanks again for your blog, keep up the good work.

This email actually came a week ago. I sat on it so to post it near E3 time. I suggest a fiesta as we watch the pathetic displays of Natal and Move and the zombie viral marketers, emerging from their hatcheries on cue, all in chorus how “Wii is destroyed!”

THE WORLD’S MOST INTERESTING GAMER ON…

GIRLS PLAYING VIDEO GAMES

Camera zooms in on Malstrom at a bar surrounded by beautiful women.

”Fellas, this is not a problem. It is your golden opportunity.”

”Stay playful, my friends.”

”Yo, Billy Bob!”

”What is it, Jim Jim?”

”Why does he get to play video games and have beautiful women while I play video games and I’m stuck with my annoying wife?”

”Are you playing the Wii? I think that makes a difference.”

Wii… the only game console that attracts women…

”Stay playful my friends.”

Hello Sean,

I was just reading one of your older articles via the wayback machine(can’t acces the older news site sadly).

Reading the post about why you want Microsoft to counterattack, I saw that you were most interested in Nintendo’s response to the whole ordeal.

Now we have Motionplus of course, but is that all that we can expect from the asymetric war that’s going to occur later in the year? I mean, couldn’t Blue Ocean also figure as way of responding to moves made by Microsoft and Sony?

And in one of your posts earlier in the year, you said that Sony and Microsoft had an oppurtunity to escape their shrinking core box, but the way you implied it made it look like as if they only needed to bind Motion control to hardcore games. I thought there was more to the values of New Generation than just Motion control. I can’t see neither Sony nor Microsoft adapting to those values(heck, even Nintendo has trouble doing it as Galaxy 2 and Other M show) so how the hell can they even escape their core box in that case? I’ve seen some footage of Sony with Socom 4 using Move but surely there is more to escaping than simply combining motion controls with a shooter like Socom?

And back to the Asymetric War. It’s really going to begin at E3 2010 right? Nintendo revealing more motionplus games, Microsoft coming out with Natal games, Halo Reach and other stuff and of course Sony with Move. I’d just like to know how I need to envision such a war. You’ve noted that it would be far more intense then Sega versus Nintendo. But in what way exactly? To be more precise, how fast will such a war be, or rather: how fast do you envision it to be?

Speaking of which: I was kind off surprised you didn’t say anything about Nintendo’s stealth introduction of MotionPlus into the basic Wii pack.

And…that’s all I wanted to ask for now. Have a nice day Sean!

I didn’t say anything about E3 2008 because I was in Galveston on the beach. In 2008, I wrote all the Disruption Chronicles articles with the last two just days before E3 2008. I was burnt out, but I also wanted to see if anyone in the ‘Game Industry’ could put 2 2 together. At the time, many people were beginning to copy what I would say and put it on their websites. So I didn’t want to help them. Instantly, I noticed Motion Plus as an aggressive Nintendo response to Microsoft and Sony making motion controls. Wii Sports Resort was going to come out in 2008. However, Microsoft and Sony are dumb as rocks and had no response. Their tepid response would come at 2009. So I wanted to see who was smart in the ‘Game Industry’ and who wasn’t. Let them come to their own damn conclusions. A few people (like Casamassina) thought out loud that Nintendo unveiling Motion Plus (and doing so right before the Microsoft Conference) was extremely aggressive. But then he dismissed that because that went against the context of Nintendo as a ‘Blue Ocean’ company, right? The ideas of disruption hadn’t sunk in yet. At the time, I thought E3 2008 was fine for Nintendo because there was no counterattack to the Wii. I did not know that Nintendo had embraced ‘User Generated Content’ until I played Wii Music. I remember in early 2009 writing about UGC was bad news for Nintendo and I heard about it from some emailers. Nintendo had nothing but success so far and here I was badmouthing them. Wii stopped being sold out which other people interpreted as ‘fine’, but I thought that was a major red flag. Momentum was not being maintained. At the end of 2009, Nintendo desperately cut the price on the Wii. So you know something drastically bad happened since 2008 to 2009.

As for the Asymmetric War, it is pretty much over. It will end very suddenly. Sony and Microsoft will lose… dramatically. Natal and Move will flop. Analysts will be stunned. But if you read your Christensen, you would know that his exact words was that during an Asymmetric War, the disruptor is always favored to win if Nintendo has the Sword and Shield of asymmetric properties (which they did) and that it is “a sudden end to a great firm”. Once Move and Natal fail, it will be very difficult for any analyst to talk about Microsoft and Sony being “strong” in the video game market or “about to come back.”

The reason why I said Microsoft and Sony had an opportunity to escape their shrinking box via motion controls and core games because Nintendo was not there yet. Nintendo had not integrated motion controls with their core games. They had them in their Expanded Audience titles but not the core games. This left a gaping hole where Microsoft or Sony could fly through. For example, a PS3 and Xbox 360 FPS game with pointing and motion controls could have done wonders as there was no such high quality game of that type on the Wii. But Microsoft and Sony waited way too long. Also, the recession is closing the box faster than ever.

Natal and Move’s failure will be very sudden. Everyone except those who read disruption will be shocked. I think it will paralyze both Microsoft and Sony. NOW what do they do? While they try to figure it out, Nintendo will eventually come out with a new console and Microsoft and Sony will just be following in Nintendo’s wake.

Unknown to Nintendo, I snuck in a Japanese translator into the interview room. Now we will hear what Miyamoto is REALLY saying. Quiet reader! The ‘game journalist’ has entered the room. The interview is about to begin. Stop making noises, reader, or you will spoil my plan! Shhh…..

Neck Beard Game Journalist: Tell me how you felt about Donkey Kong doing so well when it came out?

Shigeru Miyamoto: “You infectious flea ridden clack-dish, you paunchy beef-witted barnacle! How many times must I get asked that stupid question about Donkey Kong? Do you read? Apparently you do not you loggerheaded elf-skinned pignut! You could read my answer to all the questions about Donkey Kong in the past from all the other little journalists. But no, you must waste valuable time of myself asking me to repeat the same exact answers to questions already asked you bootless onion-eyed joithead!”

Bill Trinen: (translating for Miyamoto) Oh, I was very happy! I remember when it was being made when I showed it to Mr. Yamauchi. With Donkey Kong, I demonstrated how the game would basically work and he liked it, and he immediately demanded that I should stop any other work right now, and concentrate upon finishing this particular project. And when I first showed him the demo of Super Mario Bros, he really, really liked it. I still recall him saying: “This is great – you can travel on land and in the sky and even in the water. This is going to be amazing.”

This might surprise you, but I have never provided Mr Yamauchi with any presentation sheets at all. Often, at the first stage I simply provided him with some short memos, or a picture showing how the game idea would be constructed, or with a presentation. And then, once Mr Yamauchi understands that main image, I’d try to expand and explain the idea with him in more detail. And that was the point at which he could use his own instincts to tell if it was going to be great.

Game Journalist: Do you fear Microsoft Natal or Sony Move will harm the Wii?

Shigeru Miyamoto: Would you eat your dead vomit up and howl once you found it? Why must I answer these stupid questions? Have you read the Blue Ocean Strategy or not? Have you read me answering this question in 436,454 other interviews? Why do you keep wasting my time? Good heavens, you are fat as butter.

Bill Trinen: (translating for Miyamoto) Nintendo has been in the videogame business for more than 30 years. And, for that matter, when it comes to the entertainment business, ever since the company was founded more than 100 years ago, entertainment has been Nintendo’s commodity – always – and in that we have a particularly strong pride. Nintendo always tries to make something that other people have never made before. So, because of that, other people might want to copy us in the end. Whenever something we have created and presented is followed by copies, we always feel it is threatening. More than that, we’re concerned that others are trying to do something similar for the sake of it. It’s not encouraging to Nintendo. But there is one more important thing: we try to make something unprecedented every time. And we try to make it so that it can become the standard in our entertainment business one day.

Game Journalist: Looking back over your career, what is your greatest achievement? What is your greatest regret?

Shigeru Miyamoto: Not another one of these open ended questions. Do you churlish hedge-born skainsmate not ask any interesting questions? You western journalists are just so freaking dumb. In Japan, they would actually be asking me REAL questions, not this noodle-craft type questions you spew.

My biggest regret is not being able to get 3d Mario to sell like 2d Mario. I HATE making 2d Mario. I hate it, I hate it, I hate it! Luckily, I got away from making it for over 18 years.  As for my biggest achievement? It is hiring Bill Trinen because he knows how to say the right things, and I can say what I really feel in Japanese so no one really knows. Ha! Ha! Ha!

Bill Trinen: Well, I honestly don’t know! [Laughs] Probably Mario is something very important, because that character gave me a very unusual experience – of how the world is influenced when suddenly a great number of one piece of software sells around the world. And where we have been able to expand the gaming population, I see a great number of people who used to not play with videogames suddenly start playing with videogames. That was a very unusual and exciting experience, and that is still ongoing.

I’ve tried to forget whatever regrets I might have had. For example, as soon as we’ve finished a project, I always have some regrets about what we could’ve done or should’ve done. I think about this or that – other ways of doing things. But then these are great ideas that we can utilise with future projects, one way or another. Some people might say that Wii Music is a good example. It’s been said that it could have sold much more than it actually has to date, but it simply means that I have some assets right now that, by tweaking something, we might be able to have great success with something similar in the future.
What can we conclude from this? It is time Bill Trinen got a raise…

Around the Network

Back to posting, I am limiting this to 10 articles per post.

Moving some stuff around, I discovered an old pile of PC Gamer magazines. Let us look through these together, reader. Looking back at the golden eras of PC gaming makes me feel like looking through museums and seeing the golden eras of past civilizations before they fell.

In this magazine I am currently holding in my hands (that feel like rich brown suede), the date is October 1998. The cover of the magaizne is “The 50 Best Games Ever!”

I know what you are thinking, reader. You are thinking, “In 1998, what were the best 50 games according to PC Gamer?” Do you wish me to tell you, reader? All right. Here we go.

50) The Operational Art of War (a hexagon PC war game)
49) Pro Pinball: Timeshock (a one board pinball game? Come on…)
48) You Don’t Know Jack Huge (remember that series? And people think ‘casual games’ are new.)
47) Tomb Raider (quote: “Lara Croft, the spunky spelunker who proved that female avatars can capture the imagination just as well, if not better, than the stereotypical muscle-bound male heroes of the past.” Uh huh…)
46) FPS: Football Pro (Football games were more interesting before they were all called ‘Madden’)
45) Master of Orion (This game is one of my favorite games of all time. I like this quote: “This game has rarely been challenged and, in its totality, never really surpassed, not even by its own sequel.” MOO 2 was pretty disappointing, but nothing compared to MOO 3. So that is proof that MOO lovers were not as hot to trot about MOO 2 as some think.)
44) Betrayal at Krondor (Another fantastic Sierra game!)
43) Close Combat: A Bridge Too Far (another wargame. Too bad these type of wargames are extinct today.)
42) Diablo (Quote: “Diablo refused to be pigeonholed into a category when it came out.” The best games make their own genres.)
41) Indiana Jones and The Fate of Atlantis (Yay! An adventure game! Too bad that is an extinct genre as well!)
40) Speedball 2 (Interesting choice here. Considered dated in graphics and sound when it was put on its list, perhaps we ought to check this game out since it probably has held up well over time.)
39) Triple Play ’97 (Baseball game by EA Sports. Yawn.)
38) D/Generation (Another unknown game today. Should be re-examined today as it probably held up well.)
37) Ultima VII (My favorite!)
36) Starflight (Another favorite! Awesome game!)
35) Sim City 2000 (No explanation needed here.)
34) Doom (A usual suspect on these type of lists.)
33) The Curse of Monkey Island (Another usual suspect…)
32)  Might and Magic VI: The Mandate of Heaven (Remember this series? Few people do sadly…)
31) EF 2000 2.0 (It’s a Eurofighter sim! How often do you see these?)
30) Worms 2 (Ninja rope!)
29) Duke Nukem 3D (It’s Duke!)
28) Quake (Still being played by hardcore gamers despite the engine being obsolete, said PC Gamer)
27) Gabriel Knight: The Beast Within (A book made by an actual novelist. What a concept!)
26) Interstate ’76 (Remember this one? Oh yeah…)
25) Sid Meir’s Railroad Tycoon (Quote: “Groundbreaking in every sense…”)
24) Beavis and Butthead in Virtual Stupidity (How the heck did THIS get on the list? Quote: “It really is a good adventure game!” Is this game better than Diablo and Curse of Monkey Island? Perhaps we ought to take a look.)
23) Chuck Yeager’s Air Combat (A flight simulator with combat! Apparently, not done too often in those days.)
22) Alone in the Dark (Before Capcom’s ‘Resident Evil’…)
21) Lemmings (I bought it when it came out. Fantastic game!)
20) Red Baron (I also bought this when it came out. Another fantastic game!)
19) Myth (Remember when Bungie made computer games?)
18) Ultima Underworld I and II (Quote: “Lightyears ahead of its time…”)
17) NHL 98 (Another sports game… by EA Sports! Yawn.)
16) Battlezone (Remember this reboot of the Battlezone series? Very interesting mix of strategy and actual tank combat. Nothing like it today.)
15) Panzer General II (The most popular of the hexagon strategy games.)
14) Command and Conquer: Red Alert (PC Gamer laughs at all the other RTS games and say no RTS game is better than Red Alert except one… which is listed as #2)
13) Unreal (Remember when this came out? Epic!)
12) Longbow 2 (A combat simulation with helicopters!)
11) Link LS ’98 (This was THE golf series on PC. I wonder what happened to it. You don’t hear about it anymore. I guess EA ate this sport up too.)
10) Sam and Max hit the Road (Quote: “For years after its release, this is still the best graphic adventure for the PC, hands down.” Looks like we need to check this one out again.)
9) Warcraft 2 (Quote: “It has more personality and humor than ten RTS games combined.” Can’t argue with that.)
8) X-Com: UFO Defense (Ahh… X-Com…)
7) Heroes of Might and Magic II (Remember this series? Happy days…)
6) System Shock (I bought this day one too! I love Origin games!)
5) Starcraft (Complains about the RTS genre being oversaturated and highlights Westood’s Red Alert and Blizzard’s Starcraft as the best of the bunch of a genre “in meltdown”.)
4) TIE Fighter Collector’s CD-ROM (Why aren’t games made like TIE Fighter anymore? Treason! Seek it out!)
3) Quake II  (We know why this is here.)
2) Civilization II (I bought this game when it came out too. In fact, I bought the original Civilization the exact day it came out. Perhaps the best video game ever made.)
1) Jedi Knight: Dark Forces 2 (Surprised?)

In this issue of PC Gamer, it lists in the previews games such as Homeworld and Heroes of Might and Magic III. About Homeworld, check out this interview with Garden, a founder of relic and one who was behind Homeworld. Garden describes the magic of the NES Era:

“When I was ten or eleven, I had a paper route, in Canada, through waist-deep snow. God, I hated it. But when I got paid, I made a magical journey down to the local video game store. The feeling I got when I walked in was incredible, like setting forth to explore a new planet. And the games were GOOD- in those early Nintendo days, they had to be because the graphics and sound were so primitive. I still have fond memories of playing Metal Gear, Metroid, and all the Zelda games. The untainted purity of the game industry in those days was amazing.”

Nowadays, says Garden, when he walks into Babbages and asks, “Anything really good come out this week?”, most of the time the reply is “Not really.”

“Look at the statistics,” Garden says. “Eight thousand titles released last year and maybe five or six of them were really top-notch! I know of one company that’s issuing SIXTY games next year, and I cannot believe they don’t realize that all but three or four of them will be utter crap!

“I started Relic because I want to make games that give today’s players the same incredible rush I got when I was eleven. It’s time to raise the bar, raise the level of quality throughout the whole industry. My inspiration is my good friend Peter Molyneaux; we share the same ideals, have essentially the same vision. It’s entirely possible that Relic could be the savior of the industry.”

Now, listen to this.

Garden gets impatient when “creative types” put all the blame on “The Suits.” “Developers are always whining about how ‘they’ set unrealistic deadlines, micro-manage, displayed ignorance of the games, etc. The suits are too convienent a target for OTHER factors that are wrong with this business…. The Suits invest; they give you the capital to do something you’d enjoy doing anyway, and they take the big risks. All they ask is that you give them a decent product by a certain date, and if it’s a hit, they share the profits with you. Personally, I don’t see it as a bad deal, and I think the whole phenomenon has been blown way out of proportion.”

Garden’s maturity then was probably why Homeworld ended up being so well made.

“The amount of time and money it takes to develop a good game in 1998 is four times what it was in 1994.”

Hmm…

As for reviews, nothing I remember except Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six and Mortal Kombat 4. In the strategy section, the magazine talks about Mech Commander, Unreal, and Descent: Freespace. On the CD that came with the magazine was the game called ‘Sin’.

I’ll go through a couple more PC Gamer magazines to give a taste of the quality games PC gaming was at and how it has pretty much collapsed since then. Premier games no longer appear on PCs these days. All that is left is console ports.

This is why it is absurd for anyone to write ‘Mario 2 and Zelda 2 were not popular.’ The video somewhat captures the energy of the NES Era. Note how EVERYONE is playing video games, even little girls. This did not occur during the 16-bit generation and generations that followed.

Now check out the below video. A middle age female reporter becomes addicted to Dr. Mario and talks about how the NES is the successor to PONG. Shows the energy of the NES Era. At this time, the Super Nintendo was out in Japan but not in America yet.

This last video is interesting. It shows the dawn of the Console War Era when video games stopped ‘expanding’ and tried to compete over the same pie. The children quoted in the video say more insight about why they play games than anyone today does. Note at the end how it mentions analysts saying it is the end of Nintendo. I have NEVER, in all the years of my life, ever heard analysts say anything BUT ‘the end of Nintendo’. They say it each and every year. They said it in 2010. They said it in 2006. They even said it in 1985, in 1986, 1987, and so on. In 2035, analysts will still be talking about how ‘Nintendo is doomed’. If anyone needs some imagination, it would be the analysts.

One of the best soundtracks ever made… for any medium…

Outcast

by Infogames

(The game’s soundtrack was performed by the Moscow Symphony Orchestra.)

Information about ‘Natal’ begins to be released. In the distance, I hear Reggie Fils’Aime laughing.

Please, analysts, make my day. Get behind ‘Kinect’ and say “It is the future.” Support it in your obligatory quotes to journalists. Please.

Just… no.

When you see this trainwreck called ‘Kinect’, it is clear this is the Voltron of all the Birdmen. It is really stunning how these supposed big executive heads fall for the ‘casual fallacy’.

One day, people are going to ask, “Why did Wii Sports succeed and not the knock offs? Why did Mario Kart Wii succeed and not the knock offs?” The answer is so simple. Wii Sports and Mario Kart Wii and the rest are all about old fashioned old school gameplay. I can find equivalent of these games back with NES sports games to Atari Combat to Atari PONG and so on. Mario 5′s success mirrors the old school Mario’s success, as example.

Modern game companies do not understand Old School Gaming. Nintendo has before it a place where Microsoft and Sony cannot compete with: old school gaming. The best Microsoft can do is port old arcade games onto its system. But Microsoft and Sony are incapable of making a game like… Mario 5. Sega can do it (i.e. Sonic), some other companies used to be able to do, but the old school talents have fallen by the wayside.

They actually believe in the ‘Casual Fallacy’. They are going to fall flat on their face. If they read this website, they would have saved at least a billion dollars.

Lately, my dreams are being fulfilled. I have always dreamed that some big shot in the game industry, say Iwata, would one day, upon seeing a message forum full of jokers who think they know it all, to begin posting and tell these clowns how it is. This came true. (More on it later.) At previous E3s, Microsoft, which is a marketing company, loves creating a spectacle. I joked that what Microsoft should do, since it is interested in making spectacles, is to invite in the circus and have things like people in the air and an elephant.

Microsoft gave me my wish:

Marketing people are having orgasms over this spectacle. “The buzz…” they pant, “the buzz will echo throughout E3 and everyone will remember… Kinect.” This is why marketers are marketers and not people who actually run the company. Have you watched a commercial, may or may not have found it interesting, and have no idea what the product is? That is when the marketers have run amok.

Microsoft obviously wants the excitement the Wii had. Well, how did Nintendo unveil the Wii? Aside from TGS 2005 with Iwata showing the controller and a video reel showing off how the controller would be used in games, Nintendo didn’t show anything. It did show some tech demos to journalists behind closed doors. But none of that was filmed. There was no game footage. Nintendo went dark until E3 2006 (less than a year than TGS 2005) which is because they knew their competitors wanted to steal their stuff. While going dark, Iwata and Fils-Aime talked about Blue Ocean Strategy and disruption. At E3 2006, the Wii games were actually unveiled.

Aside from Miyamoto dressing up in a suit and conducting (and Miyamoto looks fantastic in a tuxedo), there was no spectacle. What Nintendo did was have their executives on the stage and invited their AOL ‘sweepstakes’ winner to play Wii Tennis with them. I do not know if the sweepstakes winner had rehearsed playing Wii Tennis or not. I do not think he did. Regardless, all four of them were playing Wii Tennis live. After the conference, anyone at E3 could go try out the Wii. After E3 2006, Nintendo held events where they tried to put the Wii-mote into as many hands as possible. This was reminiscent of the NES launching in America where NOA simply placed the controller in people’s hands and had them play. “Playing is believing” was the line.

Above: Stampede for Wii at E3 2006

Above: Line for Wii at E3 2006

Kinect/Natal has not been allowed to be played by the public yet. This is a major red flag. We will see if it is playable tomorrow. It has to be. I can’t believe Microsoft would try to sell something like Kinect without letting an uncontrolled audience be able to play it.

Playing is believing. This was true in 2006, and it is true in 2010. Kinect’s hype or not will be decided by regular gamers playing the device. So far, Microsoft seems hesitant on this (Nintendo was just the opposite. They wanted everyone to play the Wii). A good barometer for the confidence Microsoft has in Kinect will be in how available they will allow it to be played by the public (who will say whatever they want on the Internet).

The marketers are wasting their time and Microsoft’s money. Wii’s hype went into overdrive after E3 2006 because regular people played it and could share their experiences (which people trust outside the PR mules called ‘game journalists’). When Wii launched, at Thanksgiving 2006 and Christmas 2006, families and friends gathered around the Wiis and when they played, they had to buy one too.

People want to buy video games when they play them. The marketers need to get out of the way and let the games do the talking. We will see if Microsoft lets games do the talking for Kinect. Elephants (even mechanical) and families sitting in the air will do nothing to create gaming interest. Only good games can create gaming interest.

Can someone open a door? I must rush out and buy Kinect. Reader, stop reading and open the door! I cannot wait to run out there, at this very moment, and buy Microsoft’s amazing new peripheral. Reader, if you go to the back room, you will find my tent. Get it out for me so I can pitch a tent at the store at this very moment. I will camp out for Kinect starting immediately. We can kiss the Wii goodbye. I am converted! It is all about Kinect now.

Reader, you may be astonished at my conversion. So if you be quiet for a moment and stop your yapping, I will explain why I am rushing out the door now, with my tent, to camp out for the Kinect.

”But Kinect launches in November, Malstrom. Are you going to camp for that long?”

Goodness gracious! Did you not hear me about your yapping, reader? It is amazing that anything can get posted on this site at all with all your talking. I can’t get a word in edgewise.

”Very well. I will become silent.”

Now, Kinect is launching with the most amazing game line-up ever in history. Every time I look at the list, my knees get weak, and I must sit down.

Click to see the full list, reader.

Just look at these new classics such as ‘Kinectimals’ which is a game about animals! I bet you never saw a video game that was about animals, reader! And look at this other modern classic called ‘Joyride’. Could nothing be more marvelous? Mario Kart, farewell, and Joyride, approach the throne. And, look reader, there is the game with the imaginative title called “Motion Sports”. And if that isn’t enough for you, there is the game called “the Biggest Loser” (a prophetic game we will discover). How can you sit there, reading from your computer, and not want to rush outside and pitch a tent to camp out for Kinect? We must get there early before it sells out. And who knows, maybe we can put Kinect on Ebay to sell it for more than what it originally cost! It will be so much in demand!

Other reasons why I have to get Kinect is so I can learn some new dance moves like this:

Oh baby, the ladies are really going to love me now! And there are more dance moves to learn like this…

Have you see anything more amazing than Kinect? No, of course you haven’t. That is why you are going to rush out the door with me, pitch a tent, so we have a chance to be able to buy Kinect before it all sells out.

And you know another reason why we need to rush out RIGHT NOW to line up for Kinect is how we can turn it on with just our voice. Even though this same feature is in cell phones where you can say who to call, and it never caught on, this will catch on because it is Kinect and Kinect has Kinectimals. Does Wii have Kinectimals? Noooooo! Microsoft has done it!

Remember the clapper? It made turning TVs and lights easier than actually getting up. But it never caught on. Kinect will make the already very difficult effort of ‘pushing a button on a remote’ much easier with ‘voice talk’ and will succeed where the Clapper failed.

More reason to get excited? There is the new slim model of Xbox 360. Microsoft has now generously decided to not have us pay $100 for a wi-fi adaptor as Xbox 360 slim now has wi-fi included in it. In other words, in 2010, the Xbox 360 has finally caught up to features the DS had in 2004.

But the games! Oh, the games, good reader, the games! I was never a Halo fan. But another Halo sequel? Man, now that is going to convince me to buy a Xbox 360. To those people who didn’t buy Gears of War 1 and 2, well, Gears of War 3 is going to make them rush out and buy a Xbox 360. I love how Microsoft has simplified gaming to only one genre: shooting games. Of course, there was that Metal Gear Solid game where instead of shooting everything, you cut everything instead. The Game Industry knows how to innovate! Instead of shooting everything, now you just cut everything! Hehe.

Above: With Halo Reach’s big thing about flying around in a space ship, it reminds one of this game from 2004.

”But the price, Malstrom! What about the price?”

Kinect is so good, it doesn’t need a price. If Kinect is less expensive than, say, $599, the hardware will be a bargain! Empty your piggy bank, reader, we will need all we have when we pitch our tents.

But best feature of all is in Kinect, there is a racing game where you can actually walk around the car.

”No way!”

And you can crawl on the ground and look closer, even look at the brake!

”Wow! Stop writing this post, Malstrom! We must leave immediately if we are to have any chance to buy Kinect before it sells out!”

Right! To the rest of you, you all are going to have to find someone else to post about the Nintendo and Sony press conferences. After Microsoft’s conference, there is nothing they can do to catch up.

As we rush out the door with our tents, we shout to the sky…

”THE FUTURE OF GAMING!”

Have you seen any of the E3 coverage today regarding Microsoft.  I’ve been floating in and out of G4′s coverage in between my Monster Hunter 3 bouts, and even G4 is complaining about the fact that Microsoft devoted so much energy to Kinect and “casual games.”  It’s hilarious.  It’s like the “Nintendo abandoned us” crap from 2008, except directed at Microsoft.  I’ve been checking some of the comments sections on websites like Kotaku, and quite a few people are complaining there as well.  Microsoft is absolutely going to get its ass kicked when Kinect launches in November.  It has no idea what the hell it is doing.  I haven’t seen a single, actual, hands-on preview of ANY Kinect games.  Everything so far has been nothing but actors on stage smiling and pretending to play games with a camera.

Oh, it’s gonna be great.  At least Sony is actually putting the Move in people’s hands.  Of course, people are complaining about that peripheral as well because of their interactions with it.

Fun fun fun!

Hardcore meltdowns are always fun. The difference however is that the Expanded Audience will not bite for ‘Kinect’ as they did for Wii Sports and Wii Fit. Microsoft giving everyone at the conference a free Xbox 360 was pretty much an acknowledgment they knew what they were showing wasn’t good. The top Xbox dog, Don Mattick (sp?), did not appear nearly as enthused as he was last year. There was no passion in his voice. Last year, he sounded very different.

Where was Steven Spielberg to say how he thinks so highly of Kinect? Remember at TGS 2009, where Nintendo spoiled the show by announcing the Wii price cut, Microsoft also tried to spoil the show by having that ’roundtable’ of ‘game gods’ and ‘Natal’.

Remember Inafune saying: “Body language is part of this important evolution. With Natal we can involve ourselves. I’m getting really excited and show it in my body or action. Instead of pressing the button, it can be truly immersive experience.”

I don’t see any great Kinect games of this fashion. All I see are copycat Wii games and too many fitness games. Does Kinect really need four fitness games when it launches?

What happened to Milo?

Oh Microsoft. No one is going to forget E3 2010, with the circus, with the elephant, with the Saturn type Slim launch, with the Oprah type free giveaway, with the ‘Kinect’ and all…

I actually feel sorry for our friends, the game journalists. They actually had to endure all this. I don’t think a free Xbox 360 slim is payment enough (as they would have gotten one free being the press anyway). Now, they *have* to play the Kinect games. You have to feel sorry for them.

A year from now, we may not hear anything about ‘Kinect’ again. Microsoft could pretend “it never happened”.

Above: A fire has broken out in Microsoft’s Core Market…

There are many reasons why a disruptor almost always wins an Asymmetric War so long as the Sword and Shield of Disruption are in place. But there is another reason as well.

The big problem about getting to the so-called ‘Expanded Audience’, of any industry, is that it can create a backlash among the core customers. Let this disruption author speak, and we will listen:

What Anthony is saying is that one must first earn the right to innovate. This is done by properly understanding the Core Market. Microsoft has not earned this right because they do not understand the Core Market.  Microsoft looks at the Core Market in the context of demographics or ‘PC-game-ports’ or whatever.

Nintendo, on the other hand, has never defined its ‘Core Market’ through demographics or ‘PC-game-ports’. Nintendo has always held the view that 5-95 age range for customers to buy their games. The ‘core market’, in Nintendo’s eyes, was players who play in order to be immersed and players who are very used to the classic controller. When Nintendo embarked on their Expansionary Market, they looked to reach people who the classic controller was a previous barrier, and they also identified that housewives and older adults do not want to ‘be immersed’ in a digital world. This is why a game like Brain Age will reach certain people where Castlevania cannot reach. (Note that the definition of the Expanded Market depends entirely on the company’s definition of the Core Market. In order to know where to expand properly, you must know what is your core.)

This is why Nintendo was able to successfully bridge the Core and Expanded Markets. There were  some flare-ups, to be sure. But core Nintendo gamers did enjoy Wii Sports and many did buy Wii Fit and Wii Sports Resort. The core Nintendo gamer felt like Nintendo was exploring brand new gameplay they had never seen before with games like Wii Sports. (I believe this bridge is really the old school values that defined the Atari and NES eras. Microsoft and Sony are unable to understand why the Atari and NES were successful back then. Neither company understands how to make a coin-op game, for example. Nintendo’s previous expertise benefited greatly when they made the foundation for Expanded Audience games.)

Microsoft does not understand the core gaming market, so cannot understand the new Expanded Market. Microsoft sees only ‘demographics’ and ‘family friendly advertising’. Microsoft sees ‘simple games’. But is Brain Age truly a ‘simple game’? What about Wii Sports? Or Wii Fit? If you asked an Expanded Audience gamer about Gears of War and Halo, they would say they are simple games. “You just shoot people.” The Core gamer will object and say there is much more to it than that. In the same way, the Expanded Audience gamer will say there is much more to Wii Sports than just hitting the ball back. There is the angle and thrust of the Wii mote let alone the spin.

It is because of this that a ‘fire has broken out’ in Microsoft’s Core Market. According to Scott Anthony, what will occur is that Microsoft will be forced to stop pushing Kinect and focus on putting the fire out. If Microsoft’s Core gets in big trouble, Microsoft’s days as a console company are over.

To get an idea of what is in store for Microsoft, take a peek from IGN UK as the fire broke out:

To say I was disappointed with Kinect would be putting it mildly. After waiting at the Galen Center for a couple of hours, other than the name, Kinect, nothing was revealed except a handful of pre-recorded demos where actors clearly pretended to control the on-screen characters (avatars) with their own body movement. At several points the avatars would move before the actors did, ruining the illusion of a real live demo of Kinect. This body-synch debacle makes Milli Vanilli’s legendary lip-synch outrage look tame by comparison.

…but the fire is out of control.

The spin is so ridiculous not even politicians would try this hard. Last year, the spin journalists and the viral marketers were annoying. This year they are damn funny. No one is buying their spin.

However, I have hope that all the analysts will pile on and say, “Kinect is where it is at! Expect it to be sold out for years!” Please, please have the analysts get behind this… thing.

Meanwhile, I am going to sit back, light a cigar, and laugh merrily as the meltdowns continue and the fire keeps spreading.

Analysts, Nintendo investors, gamers, industry journalists, mainstream journalists, game developers, and everyone else, you have arrived at the most trusted site for understanding Nintendo’s business direction.

This site succeeds at this because of two reasons. First, Malstrom uses the same business books and other academic individuals that Nintendo executives use when they craft their business plan. Second, Malstrom is not a Wii gamer; he is the Wii gamer. He is the Atari/NES/GAMEBOY/GEN/SNES gamer that drifted away and came back with the Wii. The DS was his first game handheld since the original brick Gameboy. Most sites on the Internet will be populated by usual gamers or by Nintendo gamers (those who were customers of the Gamecube and N64). So Malstrom’s consumer reactions are more in line with the rest of that seemingly ‘enigmatic’ Wii audience whose behavior baffles analysts to this day.

Normally, there is some poor soul at Nintendo assigned to read this site. This person is very low ranking, sits in a corner, probably wears a dunce hat, and depressed that he must read this website. However, at times like E3, this poor soul sitting in the corner is now joined by many others at Nintendo who patrol the Internet gauging reactions.

So, usual readers, let us say hello to all these new eyes. Disrupting an entire industry is a very stressful job so let us have some cute kittens.

(Note: Nintendo game developers, also stressed out, can use this blog post to look at the kitten pictures instead of using company email to send them so Iwata does not get angry.)

The game console business has been, since the end of the NES Generation, in the Era of Console War. This would later be defined as the ‘Red Ocean’, where game consoles would try to best one another based on having better graphics, better speed, better games of the exact same type, and try to use lower prices to beat their competitors. The 16-bit Era of the Sega Geneses versus the Nintendo SNES is a good illustration of ‘Console War’.

The Seventh Generation began with more ‘console war’. It began with two goliaths of corporations named Microsoft and Sony battling with the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 of game consoles that cost billions of dollars to make. The winner would not only have the video game market, they would also get to define the ‘media hub’ and control the living room. Blu-Ray, Xbox-Live, Cell Processors, all of these were seen as little soldiers in the ‘Console War’.

But no one thought thought to ask little Nintendo of their say in these matters. And the end of the Console Wars has been more surprising than anyone would have imagined. If I told you, in 2004, that in two years a video game console, that is graphically behind a generation from its competitors, would go on to sell out for three years in the United States because non-typical consumers such as housewives, grandmothers, grandfathers, and people who don’t normally buy games would be flocking to the system? If I told you that a cartoony 2d platformer would steal the thunder and run around everyone in sales over games with ‘realistic graphics’ and ‘massive marketing campaigns’, what would you say? In 2004, if I told you that Nintendo would be on top of the market and Microsoft and Sony would be seen as unable to compete, what would you say?

You would have called me crazy.

In fact, that is what you did call me. For the past half decade, I have been the ‘crazy man’ on the Internet. But time makes more converts than reason. While Sony and Microsoft and others are slowly waking up to the fact that Kansas has gone bye-bye, it cannot be denied that we are no longer in the Era of Console Wars. We are in the Era of Disruption.

Disruption works very different than traditional competition. Traditional console war depended on what was called ‘sustaining innovation’. This meant innovation of 16-bit graphics over 8-bit graphics, of 3d gaming over 2d gaming, of more speed, of more features. ‘Disruptive innovation’ means a contest of different values. Simpler, cheaper, focused on ‘getting the jobs customers want done’, the disruptor is a ‘crappy product for crappy customers’. The incumbents do not take the disruptor seriously until it is too late. It is Netflix disrupting Blockbuster, the iPod disrupting the Walkman, Amazon disrupting the book store. In all of these, the disruptor was never seen as a threat until it was too late. The disruptor, most certainly, does not always win. But when done correctly, the little disruptor will defeat the giant incumbent; this is the business equivalent of David and Goliath.

Silicon Valley has embraced the ways of disruption. It is understood of those covering that business area that ‘bigger and better’ is not how things work. Analysts speak disruption as common language there. Is it any surprise that disruption would break out into other industries such as gaming? But gaming, of course, is not Silicon Valley. Gaming is notoriously the trickiest entertainment market to navigate in. The graveyard of endless companies that tried is a long list. Only one company has successfully navigated the game console waters where all others have failed or exited. This company is Nintendo.

While the ‘Game Industry’ may not have realized it, the Seventh Generation was the end of the Console Wars and the beginning of the Era of Disruption. For now on, game consoles are going to be designed to disrupt other game consoles. Gaming is going to become very different and have a different pace of lifecycles then we have imagined.

Let us go through some videos about disruption… Nintendo and Sony are mentioned in the below:

Today is a very special day. While the first ‘disruption’ of Wii versus the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 incumbents is winding to an end, the second ‘disruption’ will emerge with 3DS (as it appears Nintendo is using a handheld to disrupt Sony’s console 3d move).

It is a special day for another reason: today is the beginning of the Eighth Generation of Video Games. Since our analysts and industry has so failed the Seventh Generation, the honor of ringing the bell falls to me. Ring, new generation, ring!

I watched the Microsoft press conference through IGN, which displayed a live feed from Twitter. Not one person was enthusiastic about Kinect throughout the entire event; most people just expressed embarrassment or dismay (I myself had to turn the sound off on my computer during the Kinectimals segment [why, Rare, why!?]). Afterwards I trolled around some forums, to find that even the most devout 360 fans were extremely put off by Natal. In short, yeah, you’re right: gamers–not the press rubes–are completely turned off by Natal. The only, only people who I have seen express any kind of optimism for the device just-so-happen to be the same people who were sent home with a free 360. (Speaking of which, Microsoft neglected to mention anything about repairing the RROD problem on the new Slim models, which I find incredibly suspicious, since that was the obvious question).
Here’s hoping Nintendo doesn’t disappoint! Because I sincerely doubt Sony is going to pick up the slack.

Oh, I think the low expectations for Nintendo are going to work in their favor.

Still a lot more to post. I want to post the articles about Nintendo's conference on the next page of the thread so could you guys make a few posts? Around 5-6 would do it.

Malstroms full of himself meter is getting overloaded. How come the guy whom is the centre of this disruption theory madness doesn't even list Nintendo as an example of a disrupter AFAICT? I mean the author not Malstrom himself.

Tease.

Oh but he has.  Several times.  Scott Anthony (co-author with Christensen on those disruption books) even goes to say that Nintendo's strategy has been one of their favorites.

Check it out from way back in 2008:  http://blogs.hbr.org/anthony/2008/04/nintendo_marches_on.html

LordTheNightKnight said:
UnstableGriffin said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
UnstableGriffin said:
SaviorX said:
Mr Khan said:

Exactly

Equality, eh?

Relax.

Except you also assumed he hates Microsoft and Sony no matter what, when he's made it clear there are reasons.

Since when did I claimed that? Are trying to pick a fight with me? If so, then I suggest you to give up now.

Incidentially, Nintendo's E3 press conference was pretty cool, wasn't it?

And Isn't it also funny how Mr. Malstrom complains about the unofficial cover art for Metroid: Other M not having Metroids in it, despite the fact that actually almost none of the covers of the previous games had one either and not to mention it's hihgly unlikely that Metroids are going to appear in the game. Also, if you are a hardcore Metroid fan, "Metroid" also means "Ultimate Warrior" in Chozo language and Samus was raised by the Chozos as a Ultimate Warrior.Therefore, Samus is a Metroid and the cover is not misleading in the slightest.

Q.E.D.

... Oh, did I also happen to mention that the cover is unofficial?

But you might be asking me; "But Mr. Unstable Griffin, why do you remark about somthing so little and so seemingly unimportant".

Well, dear Watson, it's the little things that counts... Not to mention I don't have time to read through and write a detailed breakdown of Mr. Malstrom's articles right now.

But from what I can gather, they are quite insincere and uninsightful.

He attacked everything in life with a mix of extraordinary genius and naive incompetence, and it was often difficult to tell which was which.

- Douglas Adams