By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Official Super Mario Galaxy Review Thread

Lets see if we don't get multiple threads from multiple sites this time around.

I'll post the Wesbite, Score, and their 'Summary'.

You can post review site scores, and discuss them here. I'll do my best to edit in the reviews.

Note: http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=9259

The above thread contains everything Super Mario Galaxy related. It also has some scores which I won't be putting up(magazine review with no comments, lesser known website, etc.) It also keeps track of the average of all the scores thus far.

Note: http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=9676

The above thread contains impressions of Super Mario Galaxy. Feel free to post your thoughts(on demo/Japanese import) in this thread, as well as viewing and commenting on other's impressions.

Gamepro 3 Page Review

Score: 5/5

PROS:

• The level design is superb and the new gameplay mechanics reinvigorate the Mario franchise.
  • Wonderful visual style really takes full advantage of the Wii's capabilities.
  • Definitely lives up to the high standard of previous Mario games. Best title in the franchise since Mario 64.
CONS:
  • It may take some players a while to adjust to the game's unique gameplay.
  • The camera moves in strange ways during the space levels. Hope you're not prone to motion-sickness!
  • The multiplayer mode is weak and feels tacked on.

1Up 1 Page Review

Score: 9.5/10

In short, Galaxy is one of the most impressive, engrossing games in recent memory -- and quite the contrast to the rest of this year's triple-A gaming crop, which tends toward the dark, the M-rated, and the first-person perspective. Gaming may be growing up (per se), but gamers will always appreciate beautifully polished gameplay and inventive design...even if it's sugarcoated with squeaky baby stars and a goofy cartoon of a hero. Galaxy proves that Mario matters just as much today as he did 25 years ago, and that makes him one of a kind in this medium. But don't play Galaxy simply because Mario is the timeless godfather of gaming. No, play Galaxy because it's fantastic.

Famitsu Magazine Review

Score: 10 9 9 10

• Keeps up the feeling of "I wanna see what's in the next level!"
  • Gradually builds up things available in game, keeping a good difficulty balance and level design
  • Gravity change gimmicks and special actions improve boss fights
  • Wiimote controls work almost too well
  • Tempo is abnormally good
  • Just being able to point and gather start pieces is exhilarating
  • Game everyone can enjoy

Eurogamer 2 Page Review

Score: 10/10

Super Mario Galaxy is an embarrassment. It's an embarrassment for platform games. It's an embarrassment for adventure games. It's an embarrassment for Nintendo and an embarrassment for the Wii. What have we all been playing at in the ten years since Super Mario 64 came out? This is what gaming ought to be like.

Bright, bold, unrepentantly loony, Galaxy is everything you wanted it to be. It's beautiful and inventive. It's pure-blood Mario without being a retro indulgence. It's a stiff platforming challenge and a free-wheeling romp. It's the best thing on Wii, and the best traditional game Nintendo has made in a decade. The only thing about it which dulls your enjoyment is the memory of all the mediocre games you've had to play in the meantime.

CVG 1 Page Review

Score: 9.5

But Galaxy's real success is in its ability to surprise, which it does consistently from start to finish. Just when you think Nintendo's out of ideas you're blasted off to another world that's even crazier and more creative than the last.

When Mario launches off at eruption-point from the surface of an orbiting Volcano, jetting into the stars with starbits dancing at his feet, we dare any fan of videogames not to crack a smile. And at a time when gamers are shelling out 400 quid for the "next-gen" experience, it's incredibly refreshing that the Wii can still offer some truly amazing gaming moments.

Game Informer  1 Page Review

Score: 9.75

Super Mario Galaxy takes players on a journey unlike any other, but there are parts of it that should have been lost in time. A good portion of the story is pushed off to the side and is completely optional. While it’s nice that you rarely have to fuss with the camera, there are times where walls will obstruct your view, or you won’t be able to rotate the perspective to see where you are supposed to jump next. And worst of all, for a game that puts such an emphasis on going out of your way to get an extra life, all of your lives are reset when you turn the Wii off.

But I think you’ll agree, once that nostalgic music rings out and Mario leaps into the air, all your complaints instantly vanish. This is, in my opinion, the best Mario game since the NES classic, Super Mario Bros. It innovates in a genre that we had thought we had seen everything from, and in doing so delivers some of the most entertaining gameplay to date.

Second Opinion: 9.75

A tour de force platformer, Super Mario Galaxy is at once instantly familiar and completely new. In this mammoth adventure (you’ll be astonished at just how much there is to do here), all the elements that Nintendo has made a part of the action/platform lexicon are reassembled, re-imagined, and reconfigured into clever and striking levels that make this old genre feel young again. If you thought that all there was to Galaxy was running around on spheres, be prepared. These are quite simply some of the greatest level designs of all time, constantly reversing the laws of gravity and physics to keep you guessing. While some perennial flaws (spotty camera, a complete disinterest in telling a compelling story) remain, for the most part this is a Mario game to stand beside the best of the series – and that’s saying something. Remain patient through the slow and sometimes tedious beginning hours and you’ll be rewarded with some of the most ingenious and refined gameplay you’ve ever experienced. They don’t make ‘em like this anymore, and they never did.

Around the Network

1UPs video review:

http://www.gamevideos.com:80/swf/gamevideos11.swf?embedded=1&fullscreen=1&autoplay=0&src=http://www.gamevideos.com:80/video/videoListXML%3Fid%3D15949%26ordinal%3D1194038318662%26adPlay%3Dfalse

add that as the video URL with 420x408 as size with flash

To Each Man, Responsibility

Grrrrrr.....

I made a thread that is Official and holds every single thing about galaxy. You guys post these reviews in that thread and I'll update the reviews section.

Kimi wa ne tashika ni ano toki watashi no soba ni ita

Itsudatte itsudatte itsudatte

Sugu yoko de waratteita

Nakushitemo torimodosu kimi wo

I will never leave you

^For everything? Link it. Though, unless it says Reviews in the title, I doubt it will be noticed.

Hell, even if it did, people would still make a thread for each review.

http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=9259

Sugu yoko de waratteita

I will never leave you

Around the Network

@dtewi: Your review section is a lot shallower, but the topic focuses on videos and images which this one doesn't have. They can coexist in peace.

Fine.

Sugu yoko de waratteita

I will never leave you

Can't wait t osee the rest of the reviews. :)

Official Nintendo Magazine UK gave it 97%, they compared it mainly to SM 64 and SMB 3...

Why not add me on msn... ish_187@hotmail.co.uk

- - - > ¤ « ~ N i n t e n d o ~ » ¤ < - - -
Games purchased since December 30th 2006:
GBA:The Legend of Zelda:The Minish Cap
DS:Lunar Knights, Pokemon Diamond, The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass ,Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare, Hotel Dusk:Room 215, Mario vs DK 2: March of the Mini's and Picross DS
PS2: Devil May Cry 3:Dante's Awakening, Shadow of the Colosuss, Sega Mega Drive Collection, XIII , Sonic Mega Collection,Fifa 08 and Fifa 09.
GC:Fight Night Round 2
Wii VC:Super Mario 64 ,Lylat Wars ,Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest, Super Castlevania IV, Sonic the Hedgehog 2, Streets of Rage, Kirby's Adventure, Super Metroid, Super Mario Bros. 3, Mega Man 2Street Fighter 2 Turbo: Hyper Fighting,Wave Race 64 and Lost Winds

Wii: Sonic and the Secret Rings, Godfather:Blackhand Edition, Red Steel, Tony Hawks Downhill Jam, Eledees, Rayman Raving Rabbids, Mario Strikers Charged Football,Metroid Prime 3: Corruption, Super Mario Galaxy,House of the Dead 2 and 3 Return, Wii Fit, No More Heroes and Super Smash Bros. Brawl.

X360: Spider Man
PS3:
Resistance: Fall of Man

Does the 9/10 from GAMES tm I posted earlier in the week with a link to the scanned pages count?