By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - EA Montreal shifting focus away from Wii games

NJ5 said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
How about Nintendo buys EA when the company is small enough?

Maybe some of their studios, but I doubt they'd buy the company itself.

I wouldn't waste the money

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

Around the Network

Wait. Refocusing all those studios and franchises for mass appeal and quality would be a waste?

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

^Do you really think you could refocus those studios to Nintendo's vision? I don't more than likely you'd have mass exodus from the companies.

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

Sometimes people need to lose their jobs to change perspective. Obviously years and years of bleeding money isn't doing it for EA.

The worrying question is, what happens in the next gen if all the consoles encourage big budget games?

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Have you forgotten EA already forced companies to drop their own talents to shoehorn in what the brass wanted?

And how is "churn out fewer games and focus on making them as good as possible instead of just increasing the costs" a bad thing? If the divisions of EA have a problem with that, then they are the same problem as all the other developers dismissing the Wii.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

Around the Network

^Well if its possible, then great, but seeing what I've seen of EA, I just don't see them doing it, not without Miyamoto going over there like once a week to upend the table

NJ5 said:
Sometimes people need to lose their jobs to change perspective. Obviously years and years of bleeding money isn't doing it for EA.

The worrying question is, what happens in the next gen if all the consoles encourage big budget games?

Sounds like the recipe for Industry crash number 2

"what happens in the next gen if all the consoles encourage big budget games?"

That won't happen, at least not with Nintendo. They already said that the next console will also be able to support non HD games.

Currently Playing: Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor Overclocked, Professor Layton and the Curious Village

Anticipating: Xenoblade, The Last Story, Mario Kart 7, Rayman Origins, Zelda SS, Crush3D, Tales of the Abyss 3DS, MGS:Snake Eater 3DS, RE:Revelations, Time Travellers, Professor Layton vs. Ace Attorney, Luigi's Mansion 2, MH TriG, DQ Monsters, Heroes of Ruin

bmmb1 said:

That won't happen, at least not with Nintendo. They already said that the next console will also be able to support non HD games.

As long as a console supports high quality graphics, a lot of publishers will feel the pressure to spend a lot on graphics. This could change in the future, but I wouldn't bet on it.

Rightly or wrongly, most companies think their games won't sell if they look much worse than other games in the same genre on the console. Exceptions are rare.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

bmmb1 said:

Nintendo probably will be fine regardless, but other companies would probably try and spend a lot of development, resulting in problems for them