By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Gaming industry isn't having such a bad year in the US

Gamasutra just released another article following NPD results in which they analyzed software sales in the US per platform since the beginning of the year.

Here it is : http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=25740

First thing you notice is the following :

2009 software sold is up compared to 2008 for both PS3 and Xbox360.( +4 millions for 360, +3 millions for the PS3)

It is the same for the Wii.

For hardware we have :

Wii : -1.150k units

PS3 : -180k

Xbox360 : +260k

So the majority of the decline in gaming revenue is actually a decline in Wii related revenue and the revenue coming from others console actually doesn't seem to have decrease much if at all....

Depending how the holydays go, it's actually very possible that both PS3 and 360 related gaming revenue will be up in 2009 compared to 2008 in the US..

PS3-Xbox360 gap : 1.5 millions and going up in PS3 favor !

PS3-Wii gap : 20 millions and going down !

Around the Network

Wii reaching saturation point ? It's pretty reasonable I think, for such fast growth would be expected to it reach it's saturation point a little sooner than other consoles. We are already in time that console itself won't sell much more, many people that had the feeling "Wow, this track moves! I need one!" probably already own one. And who don't was because they were waiting for a price cut.

Now, releases are much better than last year, many people shoud be getting one for the games now. I really expect Wii to pick up sales, and there is already the black wii coming with nice bundles, and price cut will make sales sky rocket once more.