By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What's up with all the DLC talk lately?

Seriously, 1/4 of all gaming news items these days consist off DLC-Related talking.. And what pisses me off the most, is that off the most DLC news items are about UNreleased games. I don't blame you Naughty Dog (http://news.vgchartz.com/news.php?id=5463), since you probably maxed out that Blu-Ray space with your masterpiece. It's just that I don't get Bioware, for already talking about Dragon Age DLC on DAY 1! (http://kotaku.com/5376749/dragon-age-origins-gets-day-one-dlc). Ok, it's bad for 360 owners, but PC owners usually don't have to pay for DLC. And Ps3 owners get double screwed, since it would probably fit on the Blu-Ray, and they are getting it a few weeks later! Is it me, or are they just desperatly trying to put you off your purchase? What do you think about this? Is DLC a bad thing in your eyes, or does it improve your gaming experience?

Discuss.

Around the Network

What is there to discuss?

DLC is a low risk exercise in guaranteed money making. That's all there is to it.

It has nothing to do with whether the content could have fitted on the disc or not. DLC is rarely more than a few hundred MB. Most Xbox 360 games have a couple of GB spare on the DVD anyway.

I disagree with you though that there is a lot of discussion on DLC, hardly true. In the sense of classical DLC - as in game addon. Not a DLC self contained game. That is another matter entirely and companies shouldn't be givin the middle finger for that since it generally speaking is entirely new content that can stand on it's own in the marketplace.

Still...Hardly a topic for discussion? Think I've basically covered anything that could possibly be discussed? It's not about if YOU like it, simply it's a way to make money easily and that's why it's getting more and more popular.

Depends on what they are doing. Sometime it is DLC that comes with all new game purchases in an attempt to stem off some used game sales(What Forza 3 is doing).

DLC is just awesome. Added content to games that would otherwise _not_ be there. A way for game companies to recoup costs at better margins. It's a win/win.

Some people like to complain that it means more companies will release unfinished products and then make us pay additionally for DLC that completes the actual game rather than just enhances and adds side content. When, if ever, that is the case, don't buy games from that company anymore. Companies will still have to give us a complete enough package with enough content out of the box to remain competitive, especially for those people who would/will never buy DLC.

A warrior keeps death on the mind from the moment of their first breath to the moment of their last.

It's a money making scheme, for sure, but I LOVE DLC. I've spent so much money on the stuff that it's ridiculous. Sometimes, I go on XBL and look at the list of game add-ons and decide what I'm going to buy, based on the DLC. Sometimes, I never even use the stuff (I got Darth Vader in Soul Calibur 4 and I haven't even played the game since I downloaded it!) but it tends to get me excited. I'm the reason the market place is so fucked up.

Around the Network

Developers that do things like this get no respect from me,i was going to buy it but i may even try to pirate the game,though that would make me a person undeserving of respect.When i pay 60 bucks for a game give me the whole game not charge me 20 more bucks to get the rest later.Look at batman AA they've released multiple maps free of charge.Man that pisses me off to no end but what can we do as a consumer, we buy them so we can enjoy things like new multiplayer maps with your friends,I guess thats what capitalism is right, they supply we demand instead of just not buying.

So far I've bought the Killzone 2 DLC (Map pack 1, and the 3 map packs combined (Messed up that I couldn't buy 2 & 3 combined at a lower price), CoD4 Map Pack &nd CoD5 Map pack 2 & 3 (just for the zombies). Paying 20 euro's for basicly 2 zombie packs is just to much. The 6 multiplayer maps included in those 2 map packs are just a lame excuse.

I.M.O. If DLC is done well, it is worth it. And if it's not released shortly after the game then it can enhance the gaming experience.

As long as the retail game is complete, and the DLC is REAL DLC and not data that's already on the disc (F**K You, Capcom!) I'm fine with it.

I'm surprised to see that, even though DLC is getting bigger and bigger, no one likes to discuss about it. DLC could be a very bad thing, as we can see with several games already.

DLC fucked up my gaming desire and is pretty much the sole reason I haven't bought a nex gen system yet. Even though I may buy a PS3 soon, cant almost fight the urge anymore!

I am person who always wants the whole 100% of the expirience and with DLC that would just cost me to much since I MUST have it or else I kinnda dont feel like playing the game, I feel like I am missing out, not getting the full expirience.

The same with movies, for example if I am about to watch a movie I always check up if there is a Directors cut or some other cut with extra scenes in it. I cant watch a normal cut of the movie if there is another longer cut out there or If feel like I am missing out:(

Same with music. I always MUST have extra Deluxe edition etc, If I don't have all the possible tracks I feel like I am missing out. I hardly buy a CD these days since almost every artist puts out a different version of the CD with extra tracks like twice a year, It just costs me to much to upgrade all the time

But I think I am a rare case and its a supply and demand buisness and clearly there is a demand.