By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - SuperChunky thread of Wii glory and predictions

So far isn't the 'price cut' only announced by a few US retailers?

PSN - hanafuda

Around the Network
superchunk said:
Manos said:

Black wii? Gee.. that is starting to sound a bit desperate. Let's assume that wii sells something like 200k for the weeks before the pricecut. That leaves something like 16,6 million wii's to be sold in what, 12 weeks? That is:

1,38 million wii's per week!

How many times wii has sold more than 1 million per week lifetime?

3 times!

Now when I think of it, this has to be a joke thread. Sorry, I did not see the sarcasm before this post. :P

Black Wii, how many times have I heard people rebuying 360 or deliberately buying Elite primarily because it was black... colors do wonders.

From price cut to end of year there are 14 weeks or 1.2m average. Will every week break 1m? No. Will a few break 2m? sure. Btw, Wii has broken 1m per week a total of 4 times, not 3, 3 of which were last holiday in succession. Keep in mind this was when it was supply constrained. With no constraints and a lower price+more games to dramatically increase overall value, it will sell many weeks this holiday 1m+.

Actually last year it broke a million 5 times from the last week of November to the last week in December. It also broke a million in December of 2007. So that's 6 times.

@ Tres, I don't think it's that crazy to think Wii can sell double what it did last year when you take into account the facts that have been presented here. Last year it sold 6.5 million in 5 weeks, so this year it might sell 12-13 million in 5 weeks, that being double what it was in 2008.

Zlejedi said:
mortono said:
trestres said:
@mortono: LOL, Wii selling 3 million weekly for 5 consecutive weeks? Are you out of your mind?

I'm not out of my mind. I'm just being optimistic.

It's really not that big of a stretch considering they topped 1 million for 5 weeks last year.

Now it's cheaper, in ample supply, and there's three system-selling games going into the holidays, so I think they will at least double thier sales from last year.

If you reply to this, try to have something more than just insults. I already know that you don't think Wii Fit Plus and NSMBWii will sell hardware, and I still think you're wrong. Wit Fit Plus, even if you think of it as an expansion, is still part of a disruptive genre and can only further entice new gamers to play. New Super Mario Bros Wii will drive hardware sales just how the DS version drove DS sales, because it is an all-inclusive game that appeals to a wide swath of audiences.

3 system selling games ?

Do you mean:

Wii Fit Plus which is update to product available on the market for months ?

WSR which already failed to significantly increase hardware sales

and

NSMB which is only game I'd consider system seller

NPD for July

NPD for August

Sales went up from July to August. Sales may be up in September. Iwata predicted that the system would preform well in the 3rd quarter. It sold something.

September is a 5 week month, so I doubt sales would be down. You will need to get the weekly average and probably sales will be down a lot due to pricecut rumors.

Proud poster of the 10000th reply at the Official Smash Bros Update Thread.

tag - "I wouldn't trust gamespot, even if it was a live comparison."

Bets with Conegamer:

Pandora's Tower will have an opening week of less than 37k in Japan. (Won!)
Pandora's Tower will sell less than 100k lifetime in Japan.
Stakes: 1 week of avatar control for each one.

Fullfilled Prophecies

trestres said:
September is a 5 week month, so I doubt sales would be down. You will need to get the weekly average and probably sales will be down a lot due to pricecut rumors.

September is also a 30 day month. If you look at weekly totals, some of them will be from August and some from October. If you are going by weeks, then you must look at each week individually and compare from there. using months and weeks will only skew the results.

Around the Network

What do you mean? NPD has 5 weeks going on for September, only 4 for August. Of course that 4 is smaller than 5, therefore comparisons making no sense.

If you trust VGC data you have the numbers here, there's no need to wait for NPD.

Proud poster of the 10000th reply at the Official Smash Bros Update Thread.

tag - "I wouldn't trust gamespot, even if it was a live comparison."

Bets with Conegamer:

Pandora's Tower will have an opening week of less than 37k in Japan. (Won!)
Pandora's Tower will sell less than 100k lifetime in Japan.
Stakes: 1 week of avatar control for each one.

Fullfilled Prophecies

trestres said:
What do you mean? NPD has 5 weeks going on for September, only 4 for August. Of course that 4 is smaller than 5, therefore comparisons making no sense.

If you trust VGC data you have the numbers here, there's no need to wait for NPD.

NPD does there data by months. So, five weeks would not matter. 30 days would. Also, 30 is smaller then 31.

VGChartz has their data set up in weeks, not months. If the week starts on September 29th, but is will also go into October. In fact, there is more time for that week in October, but it starts in Serptember. So how do you count it. I'm going by NPD because they go by months. It would be hard to switch between the two.

jist to let everyone know NSMWii will increase sells more than galaxy. WHY? Because if you were some kid and had the DS version and saw it on wii and have co op? I think its predictable

Tag:I'm not bias towards Nintendo. You just think that way (Admin note - it's "biased".  Not "bias")
(killeryoshis note - Who put that there ?)
Switch is 9th generation. Everyone else is playing on last gen systems! UPDATE: This is no longer true

Biggest pikmin fan on VGchartz I won from a voting poll
I am not a nerd. I am enthusiast.  EN-THU-SI-AST!
Do Not Click here or else I will call on the eye of shinning justice on you. 

Certainly think some are overestimating Wii's potential, but others are heavily underestimating it. If NSMBWii takes off, it'll be a huge system seller, much like Kart Wii was. Wii Fit + won't, since it's a replacement for the existing Wii Fit bundle, and isn't going to convince many extra people.

The problem is whether or not NSMBWii suffers from the same problem as City Folk, in the similar vein of a very successful handheld game that they transplant to the console experience. If it does, it'll fizzle much like City Folk did, and struggle to break 4 million or so. If it breaks out, it will rival MK Wii, and outsell everything else this year, except Wii Sports Resort.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

I agree with everything except for the part about 17M and Galaxy and OtherM at the same time. Ninty won't put all the games in the first quarter so I say either Galaxy or Other M delayed to June/July and I say roughly 15M not 17M...

╔╦╦╗╔╦╗
║║║║╠╬╣
║║║║║║║ WOULD LIKE TO PLAY!!
╚══╝╚╩╝