By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sports Discussion - The Official Pro Wrestling Thread

d21lewis said:
About Bret getting hurt: I suspected something like this would happen for a while. My reasoning? Well, Bret is old. He's had a stroke. He's not in the best of shape anymore. But he's still a big name. At the same time, Vince McMahon is getting old, too. A match at Wrestlemania between the two would be horrific. So this is what we're going to get: Just like Umaga vs. Batista on behalf of McMahon and Trump, a few years back, we're going to get Batista (w/ Vince in his corner) vs. John Cena (w/ Bret in his corner). Batista vs. Cena already has history and is already a Wrestlemania main event worthy match. Toss in Bret vs. Vince and you've got something special.

Count on Edge vs. Jericho at WM, too.

I know it looks bad now, but it seems like the WWE is actually putting some effort into making a back story for the Wrestlemania matches, this year. I appreciate it.

Ric Flair is going to fight Hogan... so how much worse could it be?

Around the Network
Pyramid Head said:
just want to comment on nxt

anyone else blown away kaval (senshi) is NOT on it?

also bryan danielson mentored by the miz?

puzzles abound!

My guess is it's an angle.

You've got a seasoned veteran being mentored by the Miz who is basically a cocky upstart.

I bet they get far in the "competition" don't quite when... then Bryan Danielson shows up on Raw (or Smachdown if Miz goes there) and fueds with Miz for a while.

d21lewis said:
About Bret getting hurt: I suspected something like this would happen for a while. My reasoning? Well, Bret is old. He's had a stroke. He's not in the best of shape anymore. But he's still a big name. At the same time, Vince McMahon is getting old, too. A match at Wrestlemania between the two would be horrific. So this is what we're going to get: Just like Umaga vs. Batista on behalf of McMahon and Trump, a few years back, we're going to get Batista (w/ Vince in his corner) vs. John Cena (w/ Bret in his corner). Batista vs. Cena already has history and is already a Wrestlemania main event worthy match. Toss in Bret vs. Vince and you've got something special.

I know it looks bad now, but it seems like the WWE is actually putting some effort into making a back story for the Wrestlemania matches, this year. I appreciate it.

It was so badly put together though.

sguy78 said:
d21lewis said:

Well, I can't deny that.  The WWE (and pro wrestling in general) suck when it comes to getting from point A to point B.  Remember when they wanted Vince out of the way so his car exploded for absolutely no reason?

d21lewis said:
sguy78 said:
d21lewis said:

Well, I can't deny that.  The WWE (and pro wrestling in general) suck when it comes to getting from point A to point B.  Remember when they wanted Vince out of the way so his car exploded for absolutely no reason?

I'm just reminded of how badly WCW mangled their opportunity with Bret Hart when they actually got him. They had a guy who was the talk of the wrestling business due to the Montreal Screwjob, and managed to make him barely a mid-carder (I don't doubt Hogan had no small part in that by the way). He always was my favorite wrestler, but there was no doubt his strength was never on the mike or in contrived storylines. His undeniable strenth was his ability to bring the best out of every wrestler he met in the ring to make amazing matches. I know he probably can't wrestle a match due to his prior health issues, but I feel bringing him back, and treating us to what they did this past monday night was insulting. A five year old would have laughed at that.

Around the Network
sguy78 said:
d21lewis said:
sguy78 said:
d21lewis said:

I'm just reminded of how badly WCW mangled their opportunity with Bret Hart when they actually got him. They had a guy who was the talk of the wrestling business due to the Montreal Screwjob, and managed to make him barely a mid-carder (I don't doubt Hogan had no small part in that by the way). He always was my favorite wrestler, but there was no doubt his strength was never on the mike or in constrived storylines. His undeniable strenth was his ability to bring the best out of every wrestler he met in the ring to make amazing matches. I know he probably can't wrestle a match due to his prior health issues, but I feel bringing him back, and treating us to what they did this past monday night was insulting. A five year old would have laughed at that.

I guess WWE has more in common with WCW than I thought.  Once again, they have one of the biggest names ever in the business (my favorite wrestler, too!  I used to create him in every WWE game I bought and make him beat up Kurt Angle) and they're using him wrong.  He hasn't met the Hart Dynasty, YET?  WTF!?  He should be mentoring those kids to be a thorn in Vince's ass!!

If it were up to me:

-Ted Dibiase Sr. Would buy the WWE and make everyone job to his son.  Eventually, someone would stand up to him.  Ted Jr. would get over.

-Edge and Christian would meet in some way, shape or form

-Awesome Kong would have been introduced in that "Piggy James" storyline

-R Truth would've teamed with Shelton Benjamin and Cryme Tyme to form a New Nation

-CM Punk would've still been the champion.  The guy is a GREAT heel and he's able to get it done in the ring, too.

-The Young Bucks would be in the WWE instead of TNA.  They were there in 2008 (I think) and all they did was job for the Big Show or something.  What a waste.

-Hornswoggle would be dead (but since kids love him, I guess he's okay).

-John Morrison would quit trying to get over as a traditional face and remain a cocky, likeable bad ass

That's just off the top of my head. 

d21lewis said:
sguy78 said:
d21lewis said:
sguy78 said:
d21lewis said:

I'm just reminded of how badly WCW mangled their opportunity with Bret Hart when they actually got him. They had a guy who was the talk of the wrestling business due to the Montreal Screwjob, and managed to make him barely a mid-carder (I don't doubt Hogan had no small part in that by the way). He always was my favorite wrestler, but there was no doubt his strength was never on the mike or in contrived storylines. His undeniable strenth was his ability to bring the best out of every wrestler he met in the ring to make amazing matches. I know he probably can't wrestle a match due to his prior health issues, but I feel bringing him back, and treating us to what they did this past monday night was insulting. A five year old would have laughed at that.

I guess WWE has more in common with WCW than I thought.  Once again, they have one of the biggest names ever in the business (my favorite wrestler, too!  I used to create him in every WWE game I bought and make him beat up Kurt Angle) and they're using him wrong.  He hasn't met the Hart Dynasty, YET?  WTF!?  He should be mentoring those kids to be a thorn in Vince's ass!!

If it were up to me:

-Ted Dibiase Sr. Would buy the WWE and make everyone job to his son.  Eventually, someone would stand up to him.  Ted Jr. would get over.

-R Truth would've teamed with Shelton Benjamin and Cryme Tyme to form a New Nation

-CM Punk would've still been the champion.  The guy is a GREAT heel and he's able to get it done in the ring, too.

-The Young Bucks would be in the WWE instead of TNA.  They were there in 2008 (I think) and all they did was job for the Big Show or something.  What a waste.

-John Morrison would quit trying to get over as a traditional face and remain a cocky, likeable bad ass

The other thing that has killed it for me with the WWE is the number of times the title changes hands. When Cena and HHH wrestled the other night, the announcer said there were more than twenty world titles betwwen them if I'm not mistaken. It's just laughable. Look, I have a lot more respect for HHH since seeing the real pain he has wrestled with, but the fact that he has held the title more than twice Hart and Hogan did combined is a travesty. He isn't even close to being in their league.

d21lewis said:
sguy78 said:
d21lewis said:

To be fair, that might not of been as stupid as it turned out to be had they not have to cancel that angle due to Chris Benoit's death.

^^^^ One of the benefits of marrying the boss's daughter. You can break every record, ever. You can also book matches to make yourself look good or get your friends "over" by letting them win matches over people that you don't like.

Back when HHH used to battle The Rock, Mick Foley, and Stone Cold, he won me over. I thought "This man is the real deal". After the came back and faced Chris Jericho for the Championship at Wrestlemania (WM 18, I think), something didn't feel right. It's been like that, ever since.

d21lewis said:
sguy78 said:
d21lewis said:
sguy78 said:
d21lewis said:

I'm just reminded of how badly WCW mangled their opportunity with Bret Hart when they actually got him. They had a guy who was the talk of the wrestling business due to the Montreal Screwjob, and managed to make him barely a mid-carder (I don't doubt Hogan had no small part in that by the way). He always was my favorite wrestler, but there was no doubt his strength was never on the mike or in constrived storylines. His undeniable strenth was his ability to bring the best out of every wrestler he met in the ring to make amazing matches. I know he probably can't wrestle a match due to his prior health issues, but I feel bringing him back, and treating us to what they did this past monday night was insulting. A five year old would have laughed at that.

If it were up to me:

Hey that's my Smackdown vs Raw storyline.