By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wii and Third Parties - what's in store?

With that Japanese newspaper article saying what we all suspected for a while that third parties are tentative to develop for the Wii as the bubble may burst and at the same time little titbits coming about games companies coming from other avenues ie Capybara, 100 proposals for WiiWare, the Wii's low development costs and imagination being more important than budget / graphics to carve a big hit - does anyone think by the end of the Wii's cycle there may just be a few more household developers / publishers companies names?

I just feel that the Wiiware is a great chance to experiment and get to grips with wiimote controls and if some of these new companies get 2/3 releases under their belts and get known there may be a new Capcom or Square Enix as Sony / Microsoft get more and more expensive all Nintendo have to keep doing is making the opportunties cheaper and easily accessible (to me even now with the Wii's current install base there's probably enough dev companies thinking that's a pretty tempting target audience already).

After all how many of the current companies we know of these days had we heard of before the PS2's cycle?

Or am I just rambling and talking nonsense?

http://uk.wii.ign.com/articles/826/826558p1.html - Devs nervous about Wii

http://uk.wii.ign.com/articles/826/826559p1.html - Capybara eyes up Wii

Those people that think they're perfect give a bad reputation to us who are... 

"With the DS, it's fair to say that Nintendo stepped out of the technical race and went for a feature differentiation with the touch screen, but I fear that it won't have a lasting impact beyond that of a gimmick - so the long-lasting appeal of the platform is at peril as a direct result of that." - Phil Harrison, Sony

Around the Network

After mario galaxy they won't be so nervous anymore.

What I want to know is if Nintendo will really open the fllodgates and compine the Wiiware with the DS download station to open up that mass of consumers to new developers.

Final* Word on Game Delays:

The game will not be any better or include more content then planned. Any commnets that say so are just PR hogwash to make you feel better for having to wait.

Delays are due to lack of proper resources, skill, or adequate planning by the developer.

Do be thankful that they have enough respect for you to delay the game and maintain its intended level of quality.

*naznatips is exempt

hmm, if it only takes two-thirds of a game to come out as a Capcom sign me up

If you drop a PS3 right on top of a Wii, it would definitely defeat it. Not so sure about the Xbox360. - mancandy
In the past we played games. In the future we watch games. - Forest-Spirit
11/03/09 Desposit: Mod Bribery (RolStoppable)  vg$ 500.00
06/03/09 Purchase: Moderator Privilege  vg$ -50,000.00

Nordlead Jr. Photo/Video Gallery!!! (Video Added 4/19/10)

last week american sales--7 of top ten were third party--not to mention third parties are falling over themselves to get to the wii....

i see that article being writen up like this, "yes the wii is rocking the world i am going to writ an artile that tells everyone how sure the third parties are about it *ring...ring...ring...* yes hello, what sony you want to pay me $5000 to say you think that the wii is not going ot be a sure thing with third parties?...well i dont know if that will work...what i can use you as a unnamed source and say you are a "third party" that wont develope for the wii....why that is just crazy enough to work...okay i will do i"

Around the Network

I'm sure there are some third parties with jitters, but they're going to have to get over it.

I also agree with the idea of the post - there may be a few new developers/publishers becoming big this generation, and there will also probably be a few going out of business.