By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS3 on normal TV

I take it you can use the PS3 on a normal TV?  i.e a SDTV...and you don't need to use it with a HDTV?  Does the composite cables or a scart as standard or does it come with HDMI?

I know this sound silly, but just something I want to clear up before I buy one.

Don't think I can afford a HDTV at the same time although I will get one later. 

Prediction (June 12th 2017)

Permanent pricedrop for both PS4 Slim and PS4 Pro in October.

PS4 Slim $249 (October 2017)

PS4 Pro $349 (October 2017)

Around the Network

It comes only with composite cables, I believe, but you'll want to use component if your TV has them or S-Video if you do not have component. The composite cables are significantly lower quality than component, and you can notice this even on a PS2.

Also, there's no reason to get BD movies if you have an SDTV since you'll appear to be the same quality as DVDs on that set and would cost at least twice as much right now.

It comes with Normal cables. In fact, it's the same as the PS2 cable.

Does the PS3 have the same issues as the 360 in terms of text in some games being really, really small? I've noticed on some games on my 360 (standard def component cable on a 32" Sony WEGA CRT) that the text is sometimes very, very small and pretty much impossible to read unless sitting right in front of the TV. I believe I read the same thing about some PS3 games as well but just a heads up for you to look into also.

I'm going to get an HDTV by Christmas.

I hate trolls.

Systems I currently own:  360, PS3, Wii, DS Lite (2)
Systems I've owned: PS2, PS1, Dreamcast, Saturn, 3DO, Genesis, Gamecube, N64, SNES, NES, GBA, GB, C64, Amiga, Atari 2600 and 5200, Sega Game Gear, Vectrex, Intellivision, Pong.  Yes, Pong.

Cheers. Actually...can you watch a Blu-Ray movie on your PS3 through your SDTV...I know it would look SD compared to the proper HD...but can it be done?

Prediction (June 12th 2017)

Permanent pricedrop for both PS4 Slim and PS4 Pro in October.

PS4 Slim $249 (October 2017)

PS4 Pro $349 (October 2017)

Around the Network

I played my PS3 on my ... 15 inch pos SDTV in my room... it doesnt look as bad as people make it out to be.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

kn said:
Does the PS3 have the same issues as the 360 in terms of text in some games being really, really small? I've noticed on some games on my 360 (standard def component cable on a 32" Sony WEGA CRT) that the text is sometimes very, very small and pretty much impossible to read unless sitting right in front of the TV. I believe I read the same thing about some PS3 games as well but just a heads up for you to look into also.

I'm going to get an HDTV by Christmas.

The only game I know of that has small text is Warhawk, but every other game is fine with me.

Quack!

I'll bet my avatar and a 1 month ban that the PS3 by March 08 will be 3 Million units away in WW sales of the Wii. konnichiwa, Your gonna regret this!!!!!!

ssj12 said:
I played my PS3 on my ... 15 inch pos SDTV in my room... it doesnt look as bad as people make it out to be.

Doesnt surprise me that your the one to say this.

Games i'm currently playing:

davygee said:
Cheers. Actually...can you watch a Blu-Ray movie on your PS3 through your SDTV...I know it would look SD compared to the proper HD...but can it be done?

Yep, it can be done.  It would look similar (if not almost identical) to a regular DVD, though, and right now BDs come at a high premium.

The PS3 games I have look fine on PAL TV sets as well. I tested Super Stardust HD, Resistance: Fall of Man, Motorstorm, Oblivion and the Folklore demo. The text in the Folklore demo and Oblivion was easily readable. I also tested some Blu-Ray movies but on an ordinary PAL TV set there wasn't any noticable difference compared to DVD as far I could tell.

NSTC TVs however offer a lower resolution (480 lines) as compared to PAL TVs (576 lines).

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales