By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Microsoft, Yahoo search deal expected Wednesday

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/microsoft-yahoo-search-deal-imminent-reports-2009-07-28?siteid=rss&rss=1

SAN FRANCISCO (MarketWatch) -- The long-anticipated search and advertising partnership between Microsoft Corp. and Yahoo Inc. is imminent, and a related announcement is expected as soon as Wednesday, according to reports published late Tuesday.

The AllThingsD blog reported that under the terms of the proposed deal, the two companies will share related search-advertising revenue, as opposed to having Microsoft simply offer Yahoo a hefty up-front payment in order to grant it access to Yahoo's search engine.

In addition, the online edition of The Wall Street Journal reported that the deal will likely involve Yahoo agreeing to use Microsoft's search engine on its sites, while Microsoft would allow Yahoo to handle search advertising sales for both Yahoo sites and some Microsoft sites.

A representative from Microsoft did not immediately respond to a request for comment. A Yahoo spokeswoman declined to comment.

Both Microsoft and Yahoo have long been struggling to gain ground on U.S. online search-market leader Google Inc. 

Microsoft mounted an unsolicited takeover bid for Yahoo last year with the intention of teaming up against Google, though Yahoo proved reluctant to entertain the offer and it was ultimately dropped.

However, Microsoft last year also began publicly floating the idea that it could simply partner with Yahoo on search, as opposed to pursuing a full merger.

Yahoo Chief Executive Carol Bartz, who was appointed in January after her predecessor Jerry Yang was forced to step aside, has joked in public that Microsoft would have to offer a "boatload" of money to make such a deal feasible.

However, more recently Bartz has publicly praised Microsoft's revamped search engine, called Bing, which was unveiled in late May.

Some Yahoo investors and Wall Street analysts covering Yahoo have advocated a search partnership with Microsoft, arguing that handing over control of its search business could save Yahoo money and enable it to focus on the sale of graphical, display advertising -- a market that Google is increasingly interested in.

Bartz has countered such arguments by saying that the user preferences and data culled through Yahoo's search service are invaluable for the company's display advertising.

Early indications are that Bing has helped Microsoft draw in an increased number of search users, though Microsoft remains stuck in third place in terms of U.S. market share.

According to data from ComScore Inc., Microsoft held 8% of the U.S. search market in June, while Yahoo held 20% and Google had 65%.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Around the Network

"The enemy of my enemy is my friend."

For now the word seems to be that this deal sucks for Yahoo:

http://www.businessinsider.com/henry-blodget-yahoo-microsoft-deal-finally-done-seems-lousy-for-yahoo-2009-7

A quote (more info in the link):

Last February, Microsoft offered to buy all of Yahoo for $40+ billion.  Last summer, Microsoft offered to buy Yahoo's search business for $1 billion. 

A couple of months ago, Yahoo CEO Carol Bartz said it would take "a boatload" of money to get her to sell Yahoo's search business.  Two weeks ago, a report suggested that the finally-impending deal price tag would be "several billion."

And now the deal is done, says Kara Swisher.  And we know the actual price:

Zero.

What?? Nothing??

Microsoft doesn't need Yahoo, I hope bing succeeds.

PROUD MEMBER OF THE PLAYSTATION 3 : RPG FAN CLUB

Around the Network
JaggedSac said:
What?? Nothing??

No upfront money, but the opportunity to profit from Yahoo ads on Microsoft's sites.

Yahoo is garbage.

Microsofts online advertising portal is a monster at this point... With this deal, they are either first or second in literally every category.

Display ads - MSN homepage and sections, Videos (#1 in daily number of visitors)
Search - Bing + yahoo (#2 behind google)
Gaming ads - Xbox live (#1...since PSN doesnt do ads yet)
Instant Messenger ads - IM (#1 most used)
Ad content networks for large volume of ads - DrivePM, hotmail (#1)

This article states "strugling to gain marketshare...on search market leader google"...and while this is true, they are raping everyone in everything else. So I don't think the word struggling is appropriate when describing MS advertising situation...

The reality is that all search engines are the same. I gave Bing an honest chance, and even though Microsoft billed it as a solution to poor search results it wasn't in any way shape or form superior to Yahoo, Google, Lycos, or any other search engine you can name. Further more I do not see online advertising as being particularly effective.

I will however say that Microsoft is making a good move. To me the value of Yahoo is the myriad of services in one location. I would say if they can play to each of their strengths they will probably be very successful. However for Yahoo it seems to have been the least attractive possibility. They made a monster, and never made good use of the opportunities they had. Starting with that botched buyout block last year. That left them without a interested buyer.

Bing is awesome.
Love it! this is good for microsoft and maybe yahoo.