By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Thoughts on Home and the future of online gaming

Sony's home is a big step in the right direction, and I am glad that they are pushing their platforms to new heights. But, even when Home becomes quite popular, it will only be halfway down the road. The end is probably where XBOX is now, with online gaming. My question is, when will Sony offer online gaming? They have to be at least worried about the online gaming's popularity. sony's PS3 has internet capability, and everything needed as far as hardware goes to do online gaming, so when will it start offering games that will achieve this???

Around the Network

dallas said: Sony's home is a big step in the right direction, and I am glad that they are pushing their platforms to new heights. But, even when Home becomes quite popular, it will only be halfway down the road. The end is probably where XBOX is now, with online gaming. My question is, when will Sony offer online gaming? They have to be at least worried about the online gaming's popularity. sony's PS3 has internet capability, and everything needed as far as hardware goes to do online gaming, so when will it start offering games that will achieve this???
Dude... are you saying Sony's online service will never pass the original X-Box? Dude... Seroiusly... Sony has big plans for the PS3's online. They are planning on taking on 360 gold... And they wanna win.

PSN ID: Kwaad

I fly this flag in victory!

I think that ultimately Sony will pass the XBOX 360 in terms of quality of what it offers online, but as it stands, even with what HOME is reported to offer, it won't as online gaming will beat a glorified chat board( HOME) any day. I did mean the 360 in my original post, though.

So your saying the games are what matter and not the service? So that means that Sony home beats 360 hands down. ;) I admit. The games are what makes online play great... or crap. There are rumors about Killzone2 haveing 64player multiplayer with something like 10-12 vehicles. All I gotta say is. That is what online gameing means to me.

PSN ID: Kwaad

I fly this flag in victory!

Kwaad said: So your saying the games are what matter and not the service? So that means that Sony home beats 360 hands down. ;) I admit. The games are what makes online play great... or crap. There are rumors about Killzone2 haveing 64player multiplayer with something like 10-12 vehicles. All I gotta say is. That is what online gameing means to me.
64? Pfft. Think i'll need more than a 1mb line then :D Anyway how would the bandwidth shape up against the 360? here in the Uk not all of us outside of London (and other Major cities/towns) can get a fantastic internet speed.

Good to see this site is still going 

Around the Network

Kwaad said: So your saying the games are what matter and not the service? So that means that Sony home beats 360 hands down. ;) I admit. The games are what makes online play great... or crap. There are rumors about Killzone2 haveing 64player multiplayer with something like 10-12 vehicles. All I gotta say is. That is what online gameing means to me.
Unless home is eventually going to be as big or as good or even comparable to say second life, then its going to help some but not carry the system. What do you think that gamers would want? To play tekken 6 with somebody from Italy or hang out in an online singles bar? I would think that online playing capabiliity would trump that, but of course, this is a good second step ( after PS network) for sony.

Kwaad said:Dude... are you saying Sony's online service will never pass the original X-Box? Dude... Seroiusly... Sony has big plans for the PS3's online. They are planning on taking on 360 gold... And they wanna win.
They also had big plans for the PSP.... It's nice to see that they continue to add features to the PSP as opposed to fixing the audio and video playback issues. Who wants playlists anyway?

Leo-j said: If a dvd for a pc game holds what? Crysis at 3000p or something, why in the world cant a blu-ray disc do the same?

ssj12 said: Player specific decoders are nothing more than specialized GPUs. Gran Turismo is the trust driving simulator of them all. 

"Why do they call it the xbox 360? Because when you see it, you'll turn 360 degrees and walk away"