By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Dark Fall Online - Anyone try it yet?

So, I've been feeling the itch for another fantasy MMORPG, and I'd been keeping an eye on this one for a while. They recently opened up US servers, while having opened up European servers back in the Spring.

Any feedback on this game? Anyone play it yet?

Im doing a partial upgrade of my old rig. You can call it  a .5 upgrade ;)

Old Rig

P4 2.4 GHZ

1 GB Ram

Geforce 7600 GS 256 MB Ram

-------

New Rig

P4 3.2 GHZ with Hyperthreading

3 GB Ram

Geforce 7800 GS 256 MB Ram (my mobo is AGP only, or Id have gotten something newer)

Around the Network

Is it free?
Nice specs.
But my name will tell you my favorite mmo.

PROUD MEMBER OF THE PLAYSTATION 3 : RPG FAN CLUB

The only thing i know is that Eurogamer UK gave dark fall a 2 some months ago and a 4 two weeks ago i believe. It's eurogamer off course. So you better check another couple of sources to be sure.

In the wilderness we go alone with our new knowledge and strength.

@aion - nope, its something like $50 for the software, then $15/month, the usual MMO price.
I looked into Aion, looks good.

@stefan - yeah, on the forum itself for DF, its gotten mixed feedback. I think it might be ok in the end, they just need to hammer out the game a bit more. Of course, its designed to run on older systems, so it may have gotten the "outdated graphics" tag in reviews. I'll have to try it and see if its any good.

I normally try to root for the little guy. This is especially true for MMOs as I love the genre. Dark Fall is run by a bunch of incompetent half baked devs. I could get into the technical problems, but I don't want to be too much of a jerk to the guys. They did an incredible thing programming a game as large as a MMOG. The gameplay is pretty terrible though. If you liked Ultima Online's rampant pointless noob slaughtering then this is the game for you. If you didn't care for it then you will hate this game.

Starcraft 2 ID: Gnizmo 229

Around the Network

If you like getting ambushed by other players while fighting mobs and getting looted by them when you die, then this MMO is for you. No reason to wear your best gear in PvPs, since you'll lose it if you die.

Good points, guys. I came into the MMO world long ago, before UO and Everquest, back when there was the true first MMORPG ever, Meridian 59 by 3DO. Back then, there was open PVP except for in towns, which is how I understand DF is like. Of course, there were repercussions to this, as mobs of people would form up, or the revnants (ghosts of the murdered) would hunt down the pk'er. So, Im not unfamiliar to the PVP only system. Yet, I can see the issue of people engaging in attack while you're hunting orcs or something. That would suck. Looting seems kind of dumb too, rather archaic.

I imagine in time they'll have to balance the game out to cater to a larger audience, as a PVP slaughterfest might drive away a lot of customers.

bardicverse said:
Good points, guys. I came into the MMO world long ago, before UO and Everquest, back when there was the true first MMORPG ever, Meridian 59 by 3DO. Back then, there was open PVP except for in towns, which is how I understand DF is like. Of course, there were repercussions to this, as mobs of people would form up, or the revnants (ghosts of the murdered) would hunt down the pk'er. So, Im not unfamiliar to the PVP only system. Yet, I can see the issue of people engaging in attack while you're hunting orcs or something. That would suck. Looting seems kind of dumb too, rather archaic.

I imagine in time they'll have to balance the game out to cater to a larger audience, as a PVP slaughterfest might drive away a lot of customers.

It definitely has the old school PVP vibe to it. I doubt they will expand theaudience out though for a few reasons. First off these guys are, from what I have gathered, a bunch of old griefers from those games that got together and made their own version. It is in the core design philosophy to have PVP be absolutely everywhere, and to have real penalties for dying to other players. Those 2 facts I don't ever see changing.

The other problem is that their design really can't handle it. At one point it was theorized that the world could only handle 10,000 different objects in the over world. This includes PCs, NPCs, and some bits of terrain. After that is exceeded the game suffers from crippling slow down and is entirely unplayable. The number has increased from my understanding of it, but is still fairly low. Giving it mass appeal would flood the servers and cause it to be pretty terrible. This is probably why they have decided not to offer server transfers off the EU server currently.

Starcraft 2 ID: Gnizmo 229

not bad, your new baby looks good :D

@gnizmo - ah gotcha. My only thought is, will they be so hardcore about not changing their system if people abandon the game in droves? Will they be happy to go down with the ship? DF has been in development for like 4 years. I wonder if they're willing to abort their baby in lieu of going bankrupt.